Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Luana Carroll (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 10:24am ()

We have just started a redevelopment of ICT in our school. First we got in Core Education to complete a robust Ict strategic review of the 4 components – Leadership and strategic direction, Teaching and Learning, Infrastructure (includes hardware and software) and Professional learning. This gave us an unbiased view on our current position and where and what they could identify as our priorities. They pretty much matched ours.

I have then been able to use the e-Learning Planning Framework as the leader of this development to give me guidance and support. It has some fantastic questions – for example creating a school eVision.

It has helped me lead ICT experts on the BOT into looking at it from a teaching and learning perspective and a business one.

I often refer to this the framework when planning a staff or BOT meeting to give me ideas and direction on how to structure the session.

• Nicole Cunningham (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 4:32pm ()

After watching the webinar (eventhough it's never as good as being part of one LIVE) I am excited about our school's enabling e-learning PD for next year.  Having the support of a Core Education facilitator sounds like a great idea.  In having a robust strategic review completed by an outside advisor, was there any concerns with staff feeling that it was about accountability rather than review?

I am impressed by the amount of intergation that has been considered e.g. Registered Teacher Criteria and enabling e-learning.  I have found that teachers are often encouraged when adding a new initiative cuts down their workload in another area 'killing two birds with one stone'.

• Andrea Mertens (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 4:39pm ()

Hi

I watched the webinar recording and found it still very useful. I liked the fact that we were looking at using ICT to change pedagogy while actually doing it. The scope of webinar in itself and its place in the rubric is exciting. Webinar allows us to learn and intercact and  have interesting discussions on many different different levels such as polling, tweeting, co-leading, video links to name a few. Phew I am so glad to have experienced a webinar and learn about the eLPF.

• Anna Wilson (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 10:58am ()

It was great to engage with the webinar a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed hearing the schools journey using the e-Learning planning framework. I was involved in helping to write an application for an ICT PD cluster using reflections we had taken from the framework. We have also created at school a template to help staff look at where they are with their use of ict and where they could be. Staff and STudents have undertaken reflection to share where the skills they have are. I would be keen to try a reflection activity with a school who has not undergone as much ICT PD as we have to see how the whole process would operate. 

• Paul Konia (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 12:31pm ()

Kia ora Whanau,

Our students are surrounded by technology – its just part of their lifestyle these days. They are consuming, remixing, downloading and instant messaging each other everyday.  And what is amazing is that e-learning is an exciting, unparalleled and unpredictable force that’s unstoppable! Scary, if you’re a teacher who has never blogged, tweeted or podcasted before? So we have to embrace it and because it’s forever ‘evolving’ we have to as well. We don’t have to know all the ins & outs of e-learning just be willing to ‘bridge’ the gap between school teacher and ‘tech-savvy’ students by assisting them and engaging them in learning new information, accessing it and using it to their own advantage in a positive way….making it relevant for our students could see them potentially contribute as a positive member in our society…..anytime, anywhere from anyplace.

After listening to Karens korero and examining The ELPF documents (and reading some in-depth postings!) I’m amazed at how ELPF encompasses ‘forward thinking’ in terms of ‘all things’ digital for students, teachers and support staff. (And how easily it would align itself with our school). I like the 4 phases of ‘emerging’ through to ‘empowering’ (driven of course by students curriculum learning needs rather than the technology) and the 5 dimensions display a clear ‘roadmap’ of how and why things are done.

At whatever level (BOT, Senior Leadership or Staff) a couple things come to mind:

• Self-review as a staff and in smaller Professional Learning Groups – (purpose, vision & strategic planning) Do we need to look at developing our physical environment? Experts in the field of ICT? Ongoing PD in ICT?
    • Look at having the right resources eg. (Connectivity, software/hardware etc) in order for classroom learning information to become more accessible…..at speed!

Just a few ELPF benefits for our school alone:

• Student voice – because students are able to have more control of how they learn and what they learn the teacher then becomes more of a facilitator of learning rather than a ‘dictator’…oops, I mean ‘director’ of learning.
    • A common ‘tech-savvy language’ spoken amongst teachers and students (even the community)

Plus, if we save more paper, we save more trees!

• Alice Wards (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 4:16pm ()

In our school (decile 2, urban, secondary), we're struggling to come to grips with what e-learning can and should look like as we grapple with a number of imbalances.  On one hand, we have the model of thinking that says that students are significantly more digitally competent than adults and that therefore the provision of technology in schools is all that's required to become true '21st century learners' - or whatever the current terminology is.  Yet the majority of our senior students still do not access email, do not have computer access at home and have a rudimentary knowledge of information access.  There is a lot that we as a school can and are doing to meet student needs in this area.  It feels however like our kids are many steps behind while others are rushing ahead. For example, I am immensely frustrated that as Principal's Nominee I need to manage hundreds of students managing their log-ins to the nzqa website, in order to order copies of their NCEA results.  They cannot get sent them automatically - something I and their teachers have been reinforcing all year and supporting them to address.  Our students still struggle with that simple task as it is not practice within their communities to use computers for tasks like that.  I know that many others have mentioned equity issues in relation to e-learning.  I am as excited as others about the potential that digital technologies and communication offer for our learners.  I am however, tired of our students feeling inferior because the latest 'must' is six steps ahead of where they are.  A lot of our energy goes into reassuring, supporting and encouraging them that they are just as good if not better students than others, regardless of the deficits they see in their struggling communities and under-resourced school.  Sorry for the whinge :).

• Linda Ireton (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 5:52pm ()

Kia ora Alice

We are in a very similar position as a decile 2 primary school. Very few of our students have access to technologies at home Other than Xbox etc.

However, the framework did challenge me on a number of fronts.

First it has made me think about how our staff view ICT. I know we are pre emergent and emergent in most aspects, primarily because we haven't asked ourselves how the technologies are supporting student learning, rather we have purchased various technologies, such as mimio, then not set aside the kind of time required to explore, practice and use them effectively.

I like how  the framework gives everyone, staff, students, BOT, community, an opportunity to discuss and be part of planning within the context and needs of your own school community.

We use the inquiry process for reading, writing and maths and it is linked to RTCs and appraisal but now I can see how we could begin professional inquiry in elearning using the framework for reflection and next learning steps, beginning at the most basic level such as how is technology used in  our classrooms by teachers and by students? And What do we believe about technologies suporting student learning and achievement? Our curriculum delivery plan has been planned in consultation with our community but I know we now need to ask them about what they want for their children in elearning.

We are about to begin a journey using google docs for our inquiry journals. The resources in the tiki elearning site are fantastic and I feel a lot more confident about sharing them with our staff and beginning that journey with a clearer sense of direction rather than doing something just to keep up with new technologies.

Cheers

Linda

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 10:04am ()

Hi Alice. You have touch on a couple of key issues that need addressing.  Our low decile schools will continue to struggle with BYOD and e-learning capabilities due to funding.  These students will continue to be disadvantaged as time goes on.  The gap between rich and poor will continue to grow (as forecast in the early eighties).  Hopefully DOT COM will all come to our rescue??

Anyway, we have had a growing number of people becoming disenfranchised by the whole process and I hope that these issues will be addressed sooner rather than later. Maybe a change of government will get the ball rolling? We need identify and give support to those that pretend they don’t need it and quick. Thanks for your post.

• Simon Robert Fuller (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:30pm ()

Hi Alice

Our college shares the same frustrations. 50% of homes have no access to the internet and the students actually have a reasonably low level of "up to the minute" IT literacy. This means developing a 5 year ICT strategic plan is increasingly difficult. A focus on using ICT for learning and life skills is an important foundation for this and it isn’t using the latest ipad/icloud thing it is as simple as carrying out the task of requesting their NCEA results online and giving them the skills to utilise the technology available to them to support their learning goals.

I agree it is a constant battle for the students not to see themselves and their families as "backwards" compared to other students and colleges that use the latest gear. In this context we have to model 21st century learning or future orientated learning not just with the latest wiz bang technology but with the development of the skills and processes that can take their knowledge and use it to develop new knowledge when they have the opportunity to use the latest gadget.

For me a future a orientated learner has the ability to use their problem solving process and inbuilt systems to be able to solve problems and learn how to use the new technology (whatever this will look like) by internally processing problems and finding expertise to learn the technology in a just in time basis.

In a low decile context it’s about utilising the available technology to help support this development in students and by strategically planning the implementation of technology that will continually support and challenge students to intrinsically be able to create new knowledge.

• Rachel Roberts (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 11:12pm ()

I agree with lots of the other group members who have found the framework to be a really useful tool to use when planning and implementing changes in school. The development of elearning has been the focus of our PLGs in Term 3 and is an ongoing priority for the school. Whilst a number of staff are keen to try new ideas - prezi has been a favourite with many - there is a real concern and uncertainty that by embracing change we are going to lose some of the values many teachers have taken for granted. Common complaints include ' why are my students more interested in their screens than me talking, or there is no way that my students can multi-task'. That is not to say that there hasn't been some fantastic innovation and a real desire to upskill. Certainly more than ever before I can see a recognition from staff that in this crucial area pld has to be on going - not just year on year but far more frequent. However what the framework does is to provide some structure and for most that is a real benefit. Consequently our principal has shared the framework with the staff and explored how we can relate it to our school context. Feedback has been extremely positive. 

• Tan1a (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 4:47pm ()

Kia ora tatou,

First of all thanks for the fabulous webinar on the 31st - complete with Halloween theme.

Our school journey, in my eyes, has been quite slow when I compare it with the wonderful e-learning stories that can be seen in this group. Most of my leadership in this area has been focused on upgrading of and equity of equipment, followed by up-skilling hesitant users (the type who are scared they will break computer by hitting escape). My approach has always been one of reviewing with the BOT where we are and setting achievable next steps that fit in to the whole school annual plan. Our school is very lucky to have two extremely clever ICT provider/developers on our Board. This means when I bring new ideas/tools/social media etc they already understand how it will benefit and are not working from a position of uncertainty for online activities.

This has a resulted in a default position of embedding the tool in to the curriculum development we were focused on. This is, as we all know, the best way to use ICT but it is also frustrating when it is not the main focus.

Some ways I have successfully enhanced staff knowledge and confidence is by:

• Always providing screenshot photos with instructions for new tools.
    • After school drinks PD – this has really supported the use of class wiki’s within the school.
    • Using tools to present school wide PD.

The e-learning framework enables the self-review process already underway to become more robust and adapted to the focus of our whole school review process.

In particular from the webinar I am very excited by introducing the RTC wiki and the e-learning RTC. This will enable staff to set their own development goals which they will then complete through our portfolio (Quality Learning Circles, Ariki project). As we use MyPortfolio for this they will easily be able to embed evidence in to their portfolio.

I really like the aim of the e-learning self-review – to be done with and by NOT to a school. 

• Jim Townshend (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 7:53pm ()

Kia ora koutou!

Reading everyone's posts on where they are up on this has been very interersting and quite reassuring!

Late in 2010, we were working on developing our School Curriculum. Due to Canterbury Earthquakes our school has undergone some major changes and it is only just now that we have finally returned to completing this.

In many ways, this has been a positive thing as we are able to rewrite our curriculum in our new context, that is a school across three sites. It is also timely that the e-Learing framework is available to fit 'hand in glove' to our new School curriculum.  Of particular value to use right now is the Teaching and Learning dimension. I shall bring this to the School Curriculum writing group and we will include the essence of the e-Learning framework in our new School Curriculum. 

• Jim Townshend (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:04pm ()

Hi again!

The comments have also helped me to see how easy it is to see at glance where our teachers and school and me! are at along the continuum of each dimension. I can see this being a useful tool for PLDs with staff e.g- What would our school look like if all of our learning activities integrated teachnology throughout the School day? How would we know this was happening? What would students be doing? I can also see that this might be a useful tool to support setting of perosnal prfessional goals for our teahcers (and me) for our next appriasal cycle. Great resource!

• Reshma Kantilal Patel-Harman (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:18pm ()

Great questions and ideas Jim.  Will definetly use these when we meet as a team.  Thanks.

The planning framework; like all others have said – is just fantastic way to start dialogue for bringing in a team together, and thinking about where we are, where we head next and how we aim to do it, with achievable steps in mind.   With a role over of staff in our senior team, predominantly a young team of teachers and an expertise in using an interactive boards; no policy in ICT ; and trouble with our infrastructure, it gives us an option to not go in as a deficit thinking model.  Where there is a will there is a way.  I am just wondering if any schools that have used it have shared it with their board, community or adapted for student engagement and voice?

• Jennifer Holland (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:27pm ()

I have just completed a report to our BOT, using the framework to describe where we are at and what our next steps might be. Next year I plan to work with the teachers, leadership team and BOT to set our priorities / direction over the next few years ... we clearly need to focus on the learning that is happening and how we are using these digital tools to enhance that.

• Reshma Kantilal Patel-Harman (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:31pm ()

Wow jenny thats great, how did they respond? Would love to have you over in our school to share your journey with our team!  Would you be willing?

• Jennifer Holland (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:45pm ()

It was actually a really positive response ... they had been asking our Principal for a look at where we are and where we are going at the beginning of the year and he kindly delegated to me :) They were particularly interested in the turn around moving from technology dictating the learning that might suit the technology (before); to learning guiding choice and utilisation of appropriate technology. This may be because I suggested we should be focusing on using what we have (quite a lot really) well, rather than purchasing more! Though I also made it clear this wasn't an opportunity for a zero budget.
    I would be happy to share with your school our experiences ... they are no where near as vast or "on-to-it" as some of schools but it might help you build up a picture ... we can talk more at the PLG if you like. I read a really good book on Leading ICT which I have cited on My Portfolio - it is Australian, but fairly recent and I found it a good overview from a Principal's perspective.

• Saira Boyle (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:56pm ()

The simple and thorough format of the e-Learning Planning Framework document is an excellent resource. Karen your summary sums it up well -thank you.

• k.stevenson (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 9:03pm ()

What an amazing gift of posts.  The Vision of the New Zealand Curriculum has our young people as lifelong learners who are confident, connected and actively involved. How might a school introduce/implement the e-learning Planning Framework to add to its curriculum kete?  And, Jim, good wishes for your proacative steps in this direction.

• Karyn Taylor (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 10:45am ()

Kia Ora all,

I was extremely impressed and very excited about identifying where our school stands in the e-learning framework. Going through the five dimensions though, I realised that our school is sitting mainly in the Emergent stage with a few toes in the Engaging stage. I asked many of the teachers at our school to describe to me what they thought e-learning was. To my dismay many do not understand this in the 'big picture' rather for most it was integrating computers into the classroom. I can only say that there needs to be quite indepth discussions about where we are as a school and the identification of our next steps.

What do we have in place? Each classroom has a mimio and there is one set of laptops that are distributed around 11 classrooms. Our school is a decile 4 although a range of students do not have access to computers/phones/ipods at home. The mimio shows technological use although from personal observation, the purpose is not entirely for deep, collaborative learning. This is not entirely teacher's fault! As with any new technological device, training and learning needs to be differentiated for the variety of staff. Instead of learning how the device works, learning needs to be around how this device will impact on the student learning. How will it help our special needs as well as Maori and Pacific students in achieving?

I think it is very easy to 'jump on the bandwagon' with the new tools that are becoming available. The responsibility needs to be with the decision making - always asking "How is this going to help our students progress and succeed".

At this stage our server is able to cope with the extra use but will this continue? Our school definitely needs to go back to the drawing board using this e-learning framework as a way forward, identifying our gaps within the dimensions to succeed in being a positive e-learning school.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.