Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Jennifer Holland (View all users posts) 09 Sep 2012 4:26pm ()

Here are the links to two Google Doc questionnaires that I shared about during the recent e-Learning Webinar and which some people expressed an interest in. 

These questionnaires were developed as the first two parts of a three step process that will probably take the rest of the year to complete.  

The first questionnaire was sent to BOT and our Senior Leadership team and covers the first dimension Leadership and Strategic Direction.  The second was sent to our senior leadership team and teachers and covered Professional Learning, Teaching and Learning and Technologies and Infrastructure dimensions.  The third, which will cover the “Beyond the Classroom” dimension, will be made available to students and the wider community … but I have yet to start that one.  

The purpose of the questionnaire has been to introduce the concept of e-Learning to our school, find out where we perceive ourselves to be, and start conversations about what this might mean for our school in terms of next steps, especially as we start to think about some of the opportunities that might be available when UFB connects to our school next year.  

Feel free to download a copy of this questionnaire and modify it to suit your school. 

Leadership Questionnaire:  http://bit.ly/TwSlYe

Teachers Questionnaire:  http://bit.ly/Niuj0G

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2012 9:10pm ()

Many thanks for sharing this, Jennifer. It's great to get a practical insight into how one school has approached the review process. Did you have to do much whole staff discussion before everyone completed the questionnaires? And did you do whole staff sharing of the data afterwards? 

• Jennifer Holland (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 10:13pm ()

I only sent an email and link to the e-Learning Framework to our Leadership and Team and spoke briefly to the leadership questionnaire at a meeting before I sent the link.  However, with our teachers I conducted a session in our staff meeting which included your video clip (above) to explain the purpose etc of the framework.  I didn't want to "pre-teach" too much on the framework because I didn't want to influence responses.

I have not yet closed off the teacher questionnaire - this will probably happen just before the holidays when I will have time to analyse responses and think about next steps (including a community questionnaire).  I think at that point I will also look at what our next steps might be as a whole staff (if the responses are reasonably homogenous) or differentiating (if I can identify those who are more capable / enthusiastic) to provide suitable PLD opportunities utilise the strengths of staff as a catalyst within teams next year.

I think in our large staff the step by step progression of the ELPF will empower staff rather than overwhelm, and this is one of the reasons I decided to work with it.  Our teachers will probably appreciate some overview / big picture stuff so they know the long term goal and the value for childrens learning ... but generally with ICT I find that if the learning curve is too steep, or the pace of change too fast, the result is avoidance or resistance.  So the focus will be next steps in one or two areas of the framework, and this will probably also link to some PLD relating to wider teaching and learning curriculum focus I believe.

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 10:08am ()

Thank you for sharing these Jennifer.  I found your surveys great to use and it saved me so much time not having to make my own.  Cheers Laughing

• Bruce Ellison (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2012 9:24pm ()

The eLearning Planning Framework - How and Why to use it.

I like how the framwork changes the focus from what you can do with technology to what technology can do for learning. The other part I like is how it includes a lot of good teaching practice throughout the dimensions. It is a great tool for refocussing and gaining a sense of where to now.

Our staff and lead team have used it in conjunction with Derek Wenmoths 'pyramid'. As a staff we created some key concepts around how 21st Century Learners operate and also brainstormed teaching practices that we value (bigger than just eLearning). These helped make our teachers more aware of eLearning needs and how we can use them in a way that fits within our collective beliefs. The eLearning planning framework then helped us to articulate some specific goals in a strategic plan that is regularly reviewed. I found a few really helpful questions in a document that might have been entitled How to Use the ePlanning Framework. I'll investigate and try to post a link.

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 10:19am ()

I really like this document too Bruce.  I think the diagram with the self-reflection questions are useful for any teaching & learning inquiry not just for eLearning. 

• Kate Christensen (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 12:50pm ()

I agree with what you say about the 'change of focus from what you can do with technology to what the technology can do for you'.  Learning is our core business and for that reason we must consider the pedagogy when introducing new technologies, not just the tools we wish to have.  We need to be clear about the relationship between learning and the technology when we are planning to introduce new tools.

At our school we have only just started our journey with the e-learning planning framework.  We are part of an ICTPD cluster, and at this point only the people involved in that committee have used the matrix to determine where they feel we are at with our e-learning capability.  I am interested in reading ways that other schools have rolled the matrix out to their whole staff in this korero.  Once we have input from our whole staff we would be able to set up action plans for each dimension and plan our 'next steps'.

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 3:29pm ()

I had great fun listening to and watching the recording of the webinar. I took some key notes  from it, have looked at the framework itself and the postings and related docs / links afterwards. I’ll try to think of something orginal-ish...Foot in Mouth

One key point from the webinar for me was (and apologies if I got the words wrong):

• You can have a number of initiatives running but if you don’t have “the line up”- if there isn’t an understanding that you have teaching and learning, professional learning, student outcomes, infrastructure, community- all in play and planned for- it is very hard to sustain.

So really before you even start there’s a lot of thinking to go on but the key is to use it not in and of itself but perhaps merge it into the “way we do things around here” whilst still being a change-maker.  I think many staff are wary of the sheer numbers of new initiatives as we seem to have an awful lot all the time. So see it as a way of supporting things that already exist. For example, a recent ERO report highlighted that the practice of teaching as inquiry has dropped in the most recent review. I believe that introducing the framework as a way of reinforcing the focus on teaching as inquiry (concurrently with the great practices suggested for staff meetings- unpacking and the survey etc) would be a nice way to bring prominence to both areas. Or take a target group like underachieving students that is already the focus of some work and look at how the use of e-Learning could dovetail with supporting their achievement.

Because e-Learning should be evident in appraisals, strategic plan, charter etc it would be good to use the framework’s suggestions to create or review these documents actually using technologies available (like My Portfolio as a place to collect evidence for goals and the RTC for appraisal). Get really familiar with its use in a variety of different ways so that you can model it at all areas of school life.

There’s  a wealth of information but in relation to my discussion, I think the link below provides a tonne of direction and support:

http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/e-Learning-Planning-Framework2/Principals-and-school-leaders/Leadership-and-strategic-direction

One of the most interesting things for me is despite all our focus on eLearning, with digital classes etc etc, I still think we could be described as a pre-emerging school in many areas. However it would be interesting to see how other staff thought, as suggested by someone in the webinar with the different perspectives that can be held by the principal, HODs, teachers, support staff and so on. Undecided

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2012 2:18pm ()

Thank you for such a full response, Katherine. It is certainly a complex context (trying saying that quickly;-) but you have offered a neat overview of the different tensions. I like the way you unpack it and consider the different practical ways in which a school might be addressing the five dimensions of the framework at different times.Smile

Your observation about being pre-emerging is interesting. Without going into too much personal detail about your school, can you perhaps identify why a school might see itself as 'digital' and also 'pre-emerging'? 

• Justine Driver (View all users posts) 21 Sep 2012 10:23am ()

I really enjoyed the webinar session and the sharing of ideas and resources (thanks Jennifer Holland for the questionairre ideas)... it is very timely for our place at the moment with reviewing the eLPF and at the next BOT meeting I will be introducing the framework to our Trustees and discussing our initial plans for introducing it with staff and then planning a course of action of how we can move from pre-emerging/emerging to engaging, and further (hopefully) over the next three years.  Definately a strategic approach is called for and inclusion in our Charter is essential. 

Thanks for the links for the Blended PLD, however are there specific forms to fill out expressions of interest/application?  I have another school interested in forming a cluster (and hopefully re-establishing a cluster of our old ICTPD from ten years ago)... any help with where to find this information would be appreciated. (Thanks in advance)

• Phil Wainwright (View all users posts) 23 Sep 2012 4:17pm ()

We have used the e-learning planning framework at our school as a basis to support our vision.  Previously, purchases had been made without such a framework, which has been OK, but this has enabled us to focus in more on what is important and how e-learning can be used to raise achievment.

After reading through the framework, we discussed at three levels.  First as an IT focused group, then with senior staff and then with the BOT.  The trustees were very appreciative of this.  The aim has been to share the resource, share the vision around our school and ask for voice.  Within this we have include parents, but from a slightly different level and asked for their ideas and input. 

The framework has enabled us to review where we are and what we need to do to next.  It has helped us when thinking about what IT equipment is needed in the classrooms and around the school, but to use more of a strategic approach.  We are currently focusing on a strategic direction for the next 2 and possibly three years, although realise that things will probably change.  It is certainly still work in progress, but very useful to have such resources outlined on the enabling e-learning site.

What Katherine Geurd says in her post about "initiatives" is so important.  We have found this out ourselves this year when focusing on the use of Ultranet.  Just one area needs such a lot of focus and attention for it's implementation to be a success.  Unfortunately, there are so many "priorities" in a school.  This is the juggling act.

• Daniel James Jay (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2012 9:55pm ()

I have just spent the last two hours watching the video, listening to the webinar and reading the online resources about Bel. I am now very excited, as I now see a way forward. Our school has had some big changes over the last few years with the introduction of smart boards, pods of laptops, and being SNUPed, I can now see we need to take a breather and have a discussion about where do we go from here? There is so much e-learning out there that it is mind boggling. It is important to focus on the vision of ensuring students’ are connected, active life-long learners, and not lose sight that over time decisions should be driven by learning needs rather than technology.

I also agree with Fryer, when she talked about how this framework, for example the steps can be useful for any teaching & learning inquiry not just for eLearning.”  I can see how I can implement this in my NAPP inquiry!

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 01 Oct 2012 8:56pm ()

Thanks for your feedback, Justine and I'm glad the framework looks so useful for you and your school. Apologies for not getting back to your sooner re: your question about e-learning PD for 2013. All the information is here - http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/Professional-development/e-Learning-PD - and your first port of call is your regional Ministry of Education. You might also want to get in touch with Chris Jager /profile/chrisj - she is the team leader of the Te Toi Tupu consortium (they are managing the e-learning PD) in your area.

Phil - you sum up key ideas well, and I agree with you regarding the tension between different priorities.  Have you explored as part of the NAPP course how effective school leaders manage to be responsive to needs and sustain change across different areas? Several schools in which the Blended e-Learning team are working across the country combine professional learning around e-learning with other priority areas such as literacy. How might a school manage the juggle?

Daniel - a breather to stop and reflect sounds like a positive move:-). Keeping the focus on the New Zealand Curriculum vision and principles is central to the development of any focus, as you say, not just e-learning. It is common for schools to move ahead with technology purchases and then focus on the professional learning for teachers - and in many ways,  the tech can be the catalyst for staff to begin to trial technologies to suit learners' needs. Sometimes just having a sense of the way the five dimensions work together is enough to keep an overview. I wish you well with your review - and keep us posted:-)

• Angela Lindgreen (View all users posts) 02 Oct 2012 10:16am ()

I really enjoyed participating in the webinar, and it was great looking at the e-learning framework.  Our school has over the past few years, made significant purchases in this area including smart boards, notebooks, projectors, more desktop computers and most recently I pads.  We have also been involved over the last 3 years in a local ICT cluster.  In our reflections and meetings, it has been evident that all of the staff have made shifts from where they started, some small, some much bigger.  We are however, all in different places, and while we have had our Principal and lead teacher ‘lead’ us through this professional development, it is not evident where we are so to speak.  To me in some places we are at the emerging stage and I think in some places we are still at the pre emerging stage

What the e-learning framework and the webinar have made me think about how we can effectively use this in our school.  A good starting point would be where are we?  Using the framework in a staff meeting for small groups of teachers to reflect on would enable leaders to gauge where staff are at. These could then be addressed as appraisal goals for teachers and the next steps for the school, one of which might be developing a shared understanding of vocab and the dimensions we wish to work on so that everyone is all speaking the same language.

The leadership team can then take this reflection back and with the BoT incorporate this into their charter and targets so that there is a movement from an added extra to learning to being a part of learning.  This has been the struggle in our school in the past, where teachers have seen ICT as something extra to teach, rather than enhancing learning.  Strong leadership  here I think is the key and ensuring that support is in place – as Jennifer noted in her comment if the learning curve is too steep for some teachers then the first little glitch will make everything go in the too hard pile!  Personally I know that my working memory can be short and although I can be shown things, when I go to actually put these in practice, there are things I can’t quite remember.  This is where that support is important.

In our school I think it would be valuable for the staff in small groups to reflect on the teaching and learning and dimensions of the framework and the leadership team to reflect on the other dimensions.  This could result in developing appraisal goals for teachers and the development of inclusion in the charter and setting targets.  It will also enable recognition of where teachers are at and specific support for where they are at different stages of their development.

Doing this in bite size chunks so it does not overwhelm teachers is important too, allowing robust and honest discussion without rushing the process.

• stephc (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2012 8:31pm ()

I LOVE reading these entries from others.  It is so assuring, inspiring and informing to measure where we are at and what may be the next step for us. 

My school is nearing the end of its 3 year ICT contract and there is always a fear that support will end when a major connections is lost.  We used the framework last year and it is definitely a tool that gains value by being used repeatedly as changes occur.  Our action plan is aligned with where we are at and where we want to head towards.  Our future focus clarified by the process of putting ourselves 

Schools are diverse beings; populated by different levels of ability, differing attitudes towards change and varying passions for the future and how it can challenge what we know (or what we think we know).  Through an inquiry this year, I have focused on leading teachers to explore ways that encourage students to authentically reflect on their learning.  This process has brought to the front the variety of tools that are available to meet particular needs.  It has been the process of working through this together that we have explored tools and if they meet our needs.  Oh the power of collaboration.  Unpacking what we think effective eLearning looks like at our school takes time and a shared language.  The ability to visualise what many words mean and actually look like in practice is complex.  I applaud this document for engaging many in assessing themselves against a robust framework and ensuring all are able to converse using the common language. 

The VLN provides many avenues to gain information and share, it is important for us to ensure we, as a team, are joining groups and getting information posted.  The webinars are invaluable (even if just watching the recording) to allow us to move as a group and have our own discussions around issues for us.  As we head into a BYOT trial next term, I very much appreciate the information and questions that others share. 

We are on the journey, like all others, and the framework has been integral to informing our next step.  It will be key in us assessing if we are heading in the right direction at a pace that suits our learners.

• alison butler (View all users posts) 04 Oct 2012 11:49am ()

I have followed these postings with interest and am relieved to note that there are many others who are at the same stage as us. We haven’t done the 3 year PD contract, but by looking at the eLPF it is important to take account of where we are at before embarking on further strategies.  Our school, like Daniel’s, has purchased some big ticket items in the last few years with little thinking about the infrastructure behind this. We seem to be getting back on track with regards to our server and IT needs but in many areas are pre-emerging. The framework will be an excellent tool to start the process of change.  Using the Webinar has provided me with an excellent starting point to share with other staff.   These VLN postings have provided some valuable tips, resources and strategies. Thanks.

• Justine Driver (View all users posts) 04 Oct 2012 4:37pm ()

Before participating in the webinar I watched the video (above) and tried to read as much information as possible on the VLN & TKI about the eLPF .  I printed the eLPF and highlighted my own views on where I thought our school was at.  This was a useful exercise to read through the eLPF, get to know the phases and dimensions and reflect – How will I share the eLPF with staff and BOT? Feeling slightly disheartened that I’d marked our school as emerging or pre-emerging for most dimensions it was refreshing to hear in the webinar and refocus my energy into the purpose behind the eLPF – PLANNING a way forward for our school.   One of the messages I took from the webinar was the eLPF isn’t to be used as a measuring stick for ERO or BOTs to look negatively at where you are on the framework, but to ensure that you have a clear plan on how to move the school forward towards implementing e-learning that is extending and empowering all our learners (teachers included!).   It is important to acknowledge where you are at (even if it is pre/emerging) so that as a leadership team you can review what barriers  are in your way for moving forward and what resources need to be acquired in order to keep moving forward.

The one line Enabling e-Learning Leadership VLN has been most useful in finding practical examples – particularly those of Tessa Gray, Kathe Tawhiwhirangi-Perry and Chrissie Butler that can be found at: /discussion/view/307089?offset=0 .

The next steps for me (as DP with curriculum responsibility) is to share with the BOT & staff an overview of the framework and focus on ensuring that we all have a shared vision for learning at our place (which includes the use of technologies to improve student outcomes).  I will definitely be using some of the great examples shared in this forum, particularly developing questionairres for staff, student and BOT voice, and reviewing our current curriculum delivery plan(with staff).

Interestingly, my principal was approached by another local principal with interest of forming a cluster to pursue  ICT/blended learning – I felt confident responding on behalf of our principal that we’d like to be involved and shared ways to apply for funding after my recent investigations using the eLPF! I meet with the other local principal and have formed a working group using the eLPF as the basis for our work with the other schools in the proposed cluster – we are focussing on exploring pedagogy and digital citizenship first – however this may change after we have conducted a survey with each schools’ leaders & teachers.  I look forward to sharing how this eventuates!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.