The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2012 9:20pm ()

This is fantastic timing for me. I am involved in a team right now setting the direction we sail in over the next 3-5 years.  We are reviewing what we are currently doing with elearning and making decisions about where we are heading.  It couldn't be better timing for me to be exploring these resources! Hooray!Laughing

• Michael Molloy (View all users posts) 02 Oct 2012 11:02am ()

Hi Freya, I'm in the same boat as you here. We are just thinking about where we are heading with eLearning. Our school had done the 3 year ICT contract just before I arrived and I am struggling to see the benefits of this. I really need to stocktake to see where we are at now and where we can head in the next 3 year cycle. I think this tool is exactly what we need to get started!

• vicki lewis (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2012 5:49pm ()

I agree with you too. We are in the same boat, having just finished our ICT contract. Our students are reasonably well skilled at using a variety of web2 tools to enhance their learning, however staff are on various ends of the spectrum as far as ICT use goes. This tool will help us future proof and plan for ICT integration and devlopment as a staff. The framework provides clear prompts in terms of student and staff outcomes and the reflective nature of the questions ensure the focus is around student learning. I am excited that there is this generic tool that all schools can adopt and we don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel as it often the case. It is something I am excited about and will be sharing this enthusiastically with our staff, principal and hopefully our BOT.

So the quesitrons arise 1) Why Use it? Because it provides a clear framework – identifies key areas around existing strengths and needs –enables these needs to be matched against outcomes and professional development and investment required to fulfil the school’s vision and ensures the school measures the ongoing impact of planned actions. I think the tool is brilliant and one I hope we adopt as an ongoing part of our strategic vision for our school.

2) How could it be implemented and used? Firstly, I think it's important for staff to have a buy in by identifying areas of strengths & weaknesses, needs, professional development required, then articulating this and putting the plan into action. Involvement from the board is important too as they will need to support funding and it would, hopefully, form part of the curriculum review process - being part of the strategic goals for a school and annual review process. Again a great tool.

• Jane Sharpe (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2012 9:26am ()

I agree with you Viki.  This provides a starting point and a way forward for schools when wanting to address the ICT learning needs and the systems/network/hardware etc in their school.  The supporting documents are very clear and have some useful steps to provide a starting point and a way forward.  The discussion starters in the examples of resources to support the e-learning planning framework are great.  I think that schools could take samples of these to survey the teachers, students and other stakeholders.  

At my school our ICT team has been leading staff meetings that have introduced teachers to ICT tools in contexts that directly relate to learning in the classroom.  However, implementation still seems to be limited to one team and some individuals.  It would be interesting to survey teachers and students to get an idea about what the barriers or motivators are for the use of ICT in the classroom.  

• Daryl Gibbs (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2012 9:44am ()

We have moved away from the computer lab as such and have 5 banks of laptops placed around the school for shared use and there is a booking system.This seems to be working well in terms of student needs. We still have a lab with teachers working on programmes that students can use with their work but it is not the only time they use IT.

18 months ago we introduced the iPod as a learning tool and ran into all sorts of problems with our network capability etc. We had a complete server meltdown at the beginning of this year and are now confident our system can handle whatever we throw at it (Tui ad?). As a result the principal is introducing  'bring your own device' and it can be anything with wifi capability. In korero 17 we are discussing systems. I am am hopeful but am really unsure that we have the systems in place to ensure this will be successful. If it is not and we promote it we will have many upset parents as we did when we promoted the iPod, as many went and bought one for their child as a learning tool to find it was not used effectively in the classroom.

• Michaelene (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 11:14pm ()

Your post interests me Daryl as we are at the stage of decomissioning our computer pod in favour of a portable, bookable system. We go live with UFB in February, and have great wifi connectivity so now we are in the position to think about what type of devices we go with. I was at a conference recently where 'bring your own device' was a frequently used term - with the socio-economic status of our families this won't be a viable option. I was wondering, what were the specific problems you encountered with using ipods? This is one of the options we are considering.

• Deb King (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 10:41am ()

I think there are interesting issues being raised about equity. The further we are going into our e-learning inquiry the more we are trying to grapple with the inequity of access. We are a decile 9 urban secondary school and yet we have a number of students who do not and will not bring devices to school that can support a browser. Our inclination is to supply that device during the day, however, we are still then in a situation where that learner in unable to access information at home. At the same time, the Senior Management are less inclined to fund desktop computers because they will become obsolete. How far can schools go to address inequity in e-learning?

• Linda Ireton (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 3:55pm ()

Hi Deb.

Have just started reading in this Korero.

I am glad you raised the issue of equity. We are a decile 2 urban primary school and many of our students do not have computers, iPhones, iPods etc at home. I think that makes it all the more important that we provide my students with as many opportunities to use technologies in their learning context as possible despite their lack of access a home. Funding is definitely an issue for us though and we are still using the pc pods set up in each class some years ago, as we are not in a position to upgrade yet. I look forward to reading what other schools are doing.

Cheers 

Linda

• Saira Boyle (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:52pm ()

Linda,

You make a thought provoking point here. We hear such a great deal about the skills of our students and developing capabilities for the future generations etc etc - but after reading your comment it made me consider the woder social implications. What will 'we' do to ensure e-learning and equity issues does not create a wide divide in society in the future?

• Caryn Preston (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 12:58pm ()

The last few comments are so fresh as I had the same conversation with our Principal just the other day regarding BYO devices and the inequity factor this creates . We also talked about how this would look within a primary school setting and how parents would react to having to supply a device like a piece of stationery especially where many students barely have lunch let alone stationery...It could quite easily become Dickensian where society is segregated and education becomes only for the rich who can afford it and poor miss out? We also talked about the issue of insurance and who covers the legality of lost or stolen devices when they are on school grounds?

• Tracey Gurney (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:40pm ()

Linda, I make a direct connection with you and your school!

My school is also decile 2, and our students are certainly not from families who have access to ICT's at home either.  Therefore,  we have the moral obligation to teach our kids as much as we can, from as young as we can, about a range of ICT's.

We had POD's at the back of classrooms which where shared between 2 rooms - great back in the day - but not any longer.  I personally have taken all my computers from the POD and bought them into the classroom, allowing us to use the space out back as a quiet, creative zone (kids had real ownership creating guidelines for the space's new use).  Staff are seeing the benefit of this and the learning conversations around ICT in the classroom has been fantastic!  So, we are in a phase of looking at how all the spaces can be redesignated with no cost.

Fortunately for my school, we have a new ICT leader this year who has "written off" a load of clunky old PC's and ICT gear around the school and although our ratio of student:computer is not as good at the moment, we are building up to a better ratio of quality gear.  Teachers have compromised this year knowing our 3 yr ICT plan will cater to the ever changing world of ICT.  We also have the shared value/belief that ICT devices need to be mobile, so with this, it is easy to integrate computers back into the classrooms instead of the POD concept.  Staff also need to have the belief that ICT in integrated into the programme to enhance learning, not a tool that they go into another room to use for a prescribed piece of work.

It is really easy to get hooked into the latest ICT fad, isn't it, but having a strategic plan around it's use makes decisions/purchases more meaningful.

What do you think?

• Lou Dickson (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:00am ()

Hi Linda,

I too have just started reading in this korero. We are a low decile school as well and only in the embryo stages with e-learning. Part of my concern is the lack of availablity many families have to technology and after talking with other teachers i would need to find away of making computer access available to the families. One way would be to establish computers in the library or in the office area that families could use throughout the school day. One of my goals for the start of 2013 is to start eportfolio's for my esol class which will 'fan the flames' for the rest of the staff. The e- learning site has so much informaton regarding this subject along with school stories that will certainly help my journey. I would love to hear from others who have used e portoflios. Any tips to one who is still finding her way around ICT?

• Karen Wellington (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 10:44am ()

Korero 16:

Our school has been involved with an ICT learning cluster for the last 3 years. It has been quite a major operation with a large number of schools participating throughout the Wellington region. For me (one who is an extremely capable typist and knows my way around a PC pretty well and that’s about it), it has been a wonderful experience sharing the amazing wealth of knowledge that comes from collegiality with other teachers. Teachers know what you can and can’t do, and what children are capable of. Teachers are busy people and want workable ideas that they can latch onto and use straight away.

It has made us all think really carefully about making sure the infrastructure is sound. Spend a little money at the beginning to ensure there will be no problems at the other end. Deciding on what types of computers/ICT equipment/devices to be used is huge. As soon as you’ve purchased a brand new device, it’s already out of date with new products being invented all of the time.

It has shown me that there is huge disparity amongst schools also. Higher decile schools tend to have parents and people in the community who are computer savvy and who have time and access to huge amounts of resources that lower decile schools tend not to have. It’s not because the lower decile schools haven’t invested wisely – there just isn’t the money. However, what it has done is forced us to be creative. It is amazing what you can do with very little. At the same time, it’s also essential to have a savvy ICT/techy person to be able to assist with the little things that may prevent you from being able to do activities. It may take a techy person 5 minutes what would take you hours to figure out.

We have techy brekkies, to help us keep fresh with what’s going on in our school as we feel it’s an important way for everyone to share ideas, and keep the momentum up on helping our students into being 21st Century learners. Challenging ourselves is the major thrust I think - there is so much to learn and there's no way you'll be able to learn all of it (we're getting real here), but our job as educators is to be role models and show that we are learners too.

• Linda Ireton (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2012 5:00pm ()

Hi Tracey and Lou

Tracey I love what you have done regarding bringing the PCs into the classroom and making a creative space where the PCs were. I will be bringing that up with our staff. Like you, I think it is so important to have the technology in the classroom as a part of the learning environment.

Lou something our school has been involved with, through the council, is the Computers in Homes programme. We made our old ICT suite available and families who attended the course (basic computer skills, I think it was 8 weeks long) then got to take a computer home for their family. I think your idea of opening up an ICT area in the school, for families, is great.

Cheers

Linda

• Anne-Marie Bullock (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:52am ()

Hi Linda

You make raise valid points about the issue of equity. While many of our students have iPhones, smart phones and iPods. Many do not have laptops, iPads or access to computers at home and limited access to the internet. Like your school funding is an issue at our school as well. Althrough resourcing we have started to replace/upgrade computers.

It is essential that students have access to ICT so that they have the opportunity to use technology in a range of learning contexts while they are at school. One limiting feature at a secondary school is to gain access to the computer suites.

• Nita Pond (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 10:31pm ()

I also think there is such a range of ICT abilities amongst staff and therefore willingness to utilise ICT in the classroom. I admit that within my subject I do not utilise ICT as well as I could and this would be due to access to computer suites and my willingness to use more ICT in my Dance classes. However if I was teaching Geography or Social Studies still I would be a lot more willing to use ICT. This is a perfect example of me putting barriers up and resisting to change. However I do believe that it is extremely important to utilise ICT and I am hoping that as a staff we will be making use of My Portfolio for our PD/appraisal like we are utilising more and more our ultranet. This would encourage staff, including myself to get more computer literate.

Utilising ICT can also help build relationships too as it all too often gives students an opportunity to teach, lead both their peers and the teacher - is this something to be afraid of? NO!

• Ross McCartney (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 6:18am ()

I am also teaching in a Decile 2 school. The interesting thing that I notice is that many of the students actually do have the latest technology and devices. The consumer choices that families are making appear to be unbalanced towards gadgets like iPads for their teenagers but there never seems to be money for uniform, stationery or healthy food. The limited acces to the internet at home is a definite issue that needs to be addressed if equity of opportunities regarding 21st century learning is to be achieved.

• Mario (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 4:29pm ()

Our school is decile 7. Our ICT teams have just changed over. All new staff in this department this year. It seems like we have a long way to go to get up to date with our technology. We have a number of bookable spaces. But is seems in a school of 1800 you are always struggling to find an opening in any computer lab. Or the internet is down? the students also seemed so more advanced in this day and age. Funding is definitely an issue.

• Mario (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:24pm ()

E-learning is a “new learning” area for me. I can see it slowly taking shape at our school. It is met with mixed responses. A number of staff are of the opinion that they want to use technology more in their classes. There are always the issues around this. The availability of the technology is a huge issue. Then there are the staff who do not really see the importance of it or are resistant to the change.

I would like to see our school implement some form of strategy based on the E-Learning Framework. But this will be dependent on the hardware and the network capabilities of a school. If the ICT Dept struggles with resourcing. Then all the plans and visions are hard to reach.

• Tim Grocott (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 12:27am ()

Mario, I think e-Learning is a new learning area for everyone because it is constantly evolving. I don't believe it is totally necessary for school leaders to be on top of the technology or use of technology. I do think they need to be aware of the capability of technology in relation to teaching and learning. This is where the e-Learning framework is incredibly powerful because the framework of "Emerging, Engaging, Extending, Empowering" is not just for students and teachers but for schools and their communities. The framework allows for communities of practice to emerge and increases the possibilities for leadership and leadership capacity. 

• Mario (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 3:22pm ()

Good point Tim. It is the rapid speed at which it evolves that leaves me bewildered. What today might be the trend is not the case tomorrow.

• David Barry PIck (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:00am ()

I don't think it is a new area for every one. There are innumerable examples of mature digital natives in the working community (sorry to appear trite, but my middle son is a thirty year old software engineer who conducts most of his learning on line, and resorts to other learning media infrequently, despite having gone through his formative learning years in a mainly non digital age...we acquired our first personal computer when he was in form one...yr7 now) Having disagreed initially however, I do agree that in terms of educational leaders, your statement is true Tim. These leaders tend to be "older" than many in schools and elsewhere (especially in secondary schools) Consequently I think it is important to develop a manageable strategy of power sharing in this setting so that (younger?) staff who have a firm grasp on the changing possibilities of digital devices and media have an input into the schools direction. A leader of any kind who neglects or disregards the skills and expertise of staff that surpasses their own, and doesn't utilise these, does so at their own and the schools expense. Empowerment of these staff frees the leader from errors of ignorance, and provides better outcomes for learners (including staff)

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 11:56am ()

Absolutely agree with this one.  I'm  and very much engaged. Had first computer in second half of the eighties as did our school.  We were putting banda through the printer and thinking ourselves very smart.  The days of dos and pak man! The technology is NOT new. That's one point.

I also see that the new teachers - same age as my own children - have always had computers and similar devices.  I have to listen and watch them.  I used to believe that teachers had to have the basic teaching skills to manage a reading, writing and maths programme before they could be let loose with a digital class.  I now realise that is a nonsense - the tools are there and the pedagogy that they need to develop is different from a three or more decades ago!

Ignorance and gatekeeping by those in management (and I choose that word over leadership) are I believe, two of the biggest problems in schools.

Let's hope we NAPP folk go out and change things!

• Kerry Jenner (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:21pm ()

HI David. For certain there are now a few generations who have used e-learning at uni, and had decades of computer use (what was that boxy Apple our kids played Sonic the Hedgehog on? and a prize for the parents who can still hum the tune...) and I'm pleased to see recognition of e-learning out of the education setting as well. It feels a bit like a lead group in a race - each one spurring the others to go even faster as so many groups in the community upskill over and over to cope with the ITC advancement in their own fields. 

I beleive that the leader no more has to lead by expert knowledge in this field as any other. However, she/he does have to lead by being open minded, allowing expertsand real enthusiasts to carry responsibility - while actively supporting in terms of finance, as well as voice. Staff need to expereince the principal opening the door for these people to lead the rest through. 

• David Barry PIck (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:30pm ()

Hey Kerry. Thanks for picking up on this, I thought I may have glossed over it. We all agreed very early in the year that a school leader (read principal) can't be an expert in every aspect of running the school. Paradoxically many of us continue to feel that they should be in this (e learning) area. Why is that? There is no reason why the leader in this area has to be the principal. In fact it may be better that they aren't. Learning, and pedagogy and moral purpose (in the educational sense) yes, but why all those other areas too? Inclusive leadership inevitably leads to professional development and hopefully committment in staff. Hopefully this in turn leads to better outcomes for learners, both priority and others. And technology can make such a difference to thse with special learning needs.

• KristinM (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 3:10pm ()

Absolutely agree David - that's like saying the teacher in the classroom holds all the knowledge.  We know that this isn't so and no one benefits from this model.  Schools have an abundance of expertise across a number of areas and the effective leader taps into this expertise and grows shared leadership and ownership of learning.  Interestingly, in the case of ICT particularly, we are finding it is our PRTs who have the most expertise and are leading learning at our school.  A great opportunity to develop leadership and turn the traditional hierarchy on its head.

• Gael Ashworth (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 7:19pm ()

Hi Deb,

I totally agree with your point regarding equity. It is critical that we don't exclude students from accessing learning beause they aren't able to purchase a device. I know that some schools reccommend studets purchase netbooks as opposed to laptops as they are much cheaper (around $500). I'm not sure how plausible it would be for a school to set up an APscheme for students who would find it sifficult to finance this purchase. I suppose you could also explore setting up a relationship with the tech company so that you reccommend their product to be purchased to all students and get a discount as a fsort of finders fee.

We are a decile 8 school but there is enormous diversity with many students who don't have computer access at home or whose families would find it difficult to purchase a device. We use technology a lot with students collaborating through google docs and also using it to create and present assignments. We do have a couple of computer labs but these are mainly taken up with students studying digital technologies and programmes such as Travel and Tourism. I think we have to be flexible in the technology that we have available for students to use as different devices have different strengths eg tablets are good for presenting information whereas laptops and smartphones are useful in researching information. This would give a range of possibilities if students were working together in a group. 

We have several COWS (Computers on Wheels) which are bookable and are flexible enough to be transported to different classrooms and can be used within a classroom, lab or outside which stops students being tied to a computer lab. We also have these available to students in a homework club which runs four afternoons a week until 5.00pm (supervised by a teacher from a different learning area each night). This provides some access for students who may have difficulty accessing computers at home.

• Robyn Malcolm (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 4:00pm ()

I agree that there are certainly equity issues in terms of BYOD type approaches to e-learning.  We are a decile 1 urban primary.  We are in the interesting position of being in an area where we are to receive a large amount of money as a grant for e-learning, which is really exciting, but BYOD (netbooks) is being talked about with families paying these off over a period of time.  Some of my concerns are around the safety of students walking home from school with their device each day.  I have thought that a better approach could be having the devices at school with a 'learning centre' open in the afternoon for students to use outside of school hours. 

• Anne-Marie Bullock (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:41am ()

There are certainly  equity issues in terms of BYOD devices to e-learning and access to the internet. In Whanganui,  the District Council has initiated a trial programme where free wireless broadband access was made available to local residents/householders. It is my understanding that the council will start to roll this initiative out to other suburbs. Another initiative is a local trust, "We Learn", that is being driven by local primary & secondary school principals. The focus of the trust is to enable each student in the school to access & purcahse a notebook device to use in school. The "We Learn" trust is hoping to be able to provided the notebooks for $4 aproxiamtely on a two year lease to own.

What does this mean to our students? That those who have limited access and knowledge of ICT will now have a very reasonably priced device and access to the internet. Taking this one step further the families/parents/caregivers also benefit from exposure of technology - ako/akonga at it's best.

• Ingrid Frengley-Vaipuna (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:47pm ()

Good on the Whanganui district Council South Taranaki is just next door and I hope they get the hint! We're a decile1 rural Area School and equity issues permeate every aspect of our students' lives in and out of school. I sometimes wonder if our best hope is that Kim dotcom does get billions out of the US Govt. and provides allof NZ with free uncapped internet access...in the meantime we have a young teacher who's going in with guns ablazing checking out COWs and ensuring wireless is throughout the school. However, I think his enthusiasm needs to be tempered with a good look at the e-learning planning framework which will widen the scope and include a lot more of us in the decision making. I got  really excited having a read of it and the associated documents as I realised that we don't have to come up with a completely original plan. The e-lpf is comprehensive, based on sound research and written by people with enthusiasm AND expertise!! The planning framework gives coherence and vision to 20th century learning. It might still be a difficult and slow process but I'm sure now, decile whatever, it's possible to realise the vision for Maori students to walk confidently in the world as global citizens. I can't wait to really have a good look into the e-learning TKI site ...wasn't Karen Melhuish's intro clear and inviting!?

• Desiree Mulligan (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 11:29am ()

Deb, this is, I believe the nub of the problem for learning in New Zealand as a whole, and reflected  in ICT. There is no level playing field in terms of education, and this includedes access to ICT. Surely there should be minimum standards of ICT and its provision in schools across the board in NZ. We are meant to be running a state education system in NZ. How is it a state system if we pay through our taxes and then also are expected to provide devices for school?.Probably this is fine in some families, but many cannot afford this, and this is amplified in a low decile school where lunch or breakfast is a challenge.

How is  our education system a state system if the state is propping up private schools and then developing charter schools with even more licence to deviate from the norm of education. Where is the NZ belief in learning and ICT provision for all to ensure we have  equality in education provision, despite student's  home background.

• Paeariki (View all users posts) 09 Nov 2012 2:28pm ()

I have only just heard about the UFB plan through our IT expert and understand it is faster than what we currently have and it costs much less than what we are currently paying, for internet connection.  In reference to Daryl’s comment about iPods presenting challenges, I too am curious to know why they were problematic in his school.  For some reason, I think iPods are mini versions of an iPad with similar functions (a few) and capabilities.  The reason why I’m interested to find out about the challenges faced with using iPods is because we are looking at purchasing iPads (which I think are similar to iPods).  We are also looking at purchasing Samsung tablets too but are still deciding which one to go with - IPads or Tablets?  If Daryl’s school has faced a lot of challenges with using ipods then will ipads present similar challenges?

“BYOD” is something our IT expert has looked into but found this to be problematic mainly because staff members' personal devices are at risk of downloading viruses when using the their own internet at home. These viruses could very well infect and destroy our school network if used at school.

• Daryl Gibbs (View all users posts) 09 Nov 2012 2:34pm ()

Hi Paeariki, the problem with the iPods at the time was mainly our infrastructure and the server we had at the time. When we combined the extra devices needing wireless with all of the content students were needing to upload onto ultranet it caused the system to have a meltdown. This term we have our new systems up and running fully and the students sign in as a guest user as you might do when at a conference. Everything seems to be running fine at the moment. Now it is a matter of continuing to upskill teachers with their knowledge and understanding so that IT supports strong pedagogy.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:40pm ()

Make sure you start with the use rather than the tool; it worries me that you aren't familiar with these tools and what they can do.  There are lots of stories on the VLN and Twitter of schools that start with a tool not realising its limitations.

Is your IT expert a teacher? I hope so, otherwise he or she may not be cued into use. 

Are your teachers getting PD in integrating elearning? Otherwise your tools might gather dust or only be used for games and word processing.

If your BYODs are only accessing the internet and not the server, they won't bring in any viruses. There are examples of schools which are successfully integrating BYOD.  I suggest you talk to Stephen Lethbridge at Taupaki school, as one example.

• Mike Hart (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2012 11:15pm ()

Buy in to e-learning can come in the form of professional reading around it's usefulness. Because of the variety of ICT skills of staff in some schools e-learning as inquiry is a great approach for someone to attempt an e-learning strategy and focus on it, learn how to incorporate it into teaching and then apply it in the class and measure it's success with student achievement.

• Alastair David Drayton (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 9:17pm ()

There are a wide range of ICT skills not just in the staff. Students also have a wide range of skills and availability and access to ICT. As a classroom teacher upskilling and having a go at using el learning can be daunting for some staff. Certainly teaching and learning  is changing rapidly and the use of elearning inclass and as a tool for all hours is an intriguing aspect of 21st century education. It's interesting to see how BYOD will evolve in that if you set up a wireless net work and encourage BYOD will that create an inequity amongst students? The rich v the poor who can't afford new apples ipods, samung galaxy or tablets or laptops. Some students in rural areas still have limited internet access at home.  so the flip the classroom approach of putting lessons in the cloud or sending students information before class to learn at home and using class time working on the content would suit urban students not all rural students. 

Setting the framework and structure in place and then having the staff develop the skills and work in PPL groups might be an approach to have a successful elearning community. Certainly at our school a large number of students are regular users of moodle for accessing data. 

• Jayne Bolsover (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 5:10pm ()

I agree Alastair.  Our school is in a Rural District and there would be a huge inequity if our students brought their own devices.  Some of our students do not have computers or the internet at home.  The last thing we want to do is to make learning out of reach for some children.  We do operate a computer access option for these children and they have a morning tea and a lunchtime where they have access to monitored sites such as Studyladder etc.

We certainly need to look at an ICT contract for our school. It is important for rural schools to keep up with the play and not get left behind.  Having a teacher with a specific focus on ICT would help this I think.

• Sharlene Carki (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 10:44am ()

HI Jayne.  I understand your concerns.  We are a semi -rural school and we started BYOD in our Yr7&8 classes at the start of the year.  Some staff had similar concerns to yours but it was really interesting once the programme was up and running.  Some of our families who struggle to pay school fees or provide money for books were quite happy for their child to bring their i-pod, smart phone or tablet to school.  We found this really interesting!  The more devices brought to school, the more it freed up the school computers for others.  Surveying the parents to find out what devices are used at home (if any) and if so, if they would allow them to come to school, is a good starting place.  All the best on your journey.

• Jayne Bolsover (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 7:52pm ()

Thanks Sharlene.  Did you do an ICT contract at all?

• Jayne Bolsover (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 7:52pm ()

Thanks Sharlene.  Did you do an ICT contract at all?

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:04pm ()

My understanding from others is that they have had similar experiences - BYOD frees up school computers for others.  It's also amazing how many kids do have access to a device. 

Yet our intermediate school isn't doing BYOD yet for two reasons:

a)  That worry about equity, as we draw from a decile 9 school and a decile 3 school. Like I said - it may turn out to be a positive experience, but I’m yet to convince the principal.

b)  Our infrastructure.  This is WAY important. We have two laptop classes with 1:1 and our wireless network which was great with a handful of devices suddenly became inadequate when 30 devices all tried to be on one access point at once.  We are currently being “SNUP”ed  (School Network Upgrade Project) and I’m trialling new wireless devices which we’ll need to budget for next year: $5000 for a school with 275 students. Without these there is frustration.

Make sure you get help with your SNUP design if you know nothing.  I know a bit, but we’ve still found that in some areas we are getting the minimum.  I’ve opted to upgrade to gigabyte switches so that our access points have enough juice….two years ago I didn’t know any of this!

Elearning is my passion so I’m making sure I know as much as possible and connect as much as possible.  The VLN and twitter are MAGIC for this.

WEhat I’m finding with BYOD is that the kids are sneaking in the devices anyway…they are used to using them…so we need to catch up and develop infrastructure, policies, blended elearning ways of doing things and knowledge of digital citizenship and cybersafety.

The ELPF is a great place to start!

• Louise Broad (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:36pm ()

I have come to the discussion at a late stage. We are currently at an emergent level in our school investigating, consulting and planning for our future upgrade to wireless and upgrading of our hardware.The e learning framework has provided us with an excellent planning/self -review tool from which to view our tasks and in many ways keep us on track and focused. Annemarie your comments remind me of the process of applying for assistive technology and how we must keep our focus upon what we want from a tool rather than wanting a specific tool (ie i pads).  Getting the right match is crucial. How we enhance the teaching and learning at the heart of our decisions. There are benefits from not being first to move to BYOD. We have been fortunate that during the last term our ICT director and some curriculum managers have visited several schools that have already launched in to BYOD so we have been able to pick their brains and also learn from their mistakes   and challenges that have arisen, these visits have assisted us greatly.

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 8:28am ()

Kia ora Louise 

I am a late starter on this discussion too. When you talk about the benefits of not being first to move with BYOD, are you aware of any pitfalls that your ICT/curriculum leadership team have been able to avoid? Would be interesting to hear about that. 

I am also interested in where your school is at with BYOD Annemarie. This is an area that really fascinates me. I read in an earlier post that Jan wrote noting an opportunity to use this as an avenue to teach about responsible use of devices and actually challenge cyberbullying... this is a biggie for me. I am wondering if developing/reviewing policies and procedures around safe use of devices is a part of the process that is reviewed regularly? I guess it is part of developing the culture of how we do things around here. 

Heaps of food for thought, thank you all. 

• Louise Broad (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:52am ()

Kia ora Megan

Some of the concerns our team raised were around the following

• Devices that do not play flash. Many of the educational interactive sites are flash based so our tool needs to be able to access these.
    • I pads have their limitations, no USB, everything going through I tunes and the purchasing of apps and associated costs. Some schools have invested heavily in I pads.
    • Some schools visited had just “jumped on board” with one form of tablet. We wanted to know how is this technology really being used and what added benefit was identifiable. The answers to this was variable.
    • Having open internet access-while it is nice to think that we can train all of our pupils to be responsible in its use, some aren’t and won’t be. As the AP I am increasingly being involved in sorting out issues from the misuse of technology even though we have clear guidelines.
    • What are the repercussions for limiting access? Are there human rights issues?
    • The ICT director is only there to provide access to find these resources and not to locate the resources-a team approach is needed to develop the tool round curriculum leaders and staff.

We continue our journey along the road map.In recent discussions with our ICT director he made the following comment “We seek to find a tablet open enough to do what we want, use it how we want and not be dictated to by the tool”

On a wider issue in order for staff to embrace social media with confidence TTC is now providing guidance for teachers around ethical dilemmas re its use. So part of the eLPF must address this with staff if as TTC say,

“Teachers are entrusted with the care and education of learners. Teachers who model good social media use will grow learners who apply positive, respectful values in their interactions on social media platforms. These skills will equip them for life beyond school in an increasingly digital world.”

“Teachers have a professional obligation to develop and maintain professional relationships with learners based on the best interests of those learners. A teacher who is both aware of social media and a competent and confident user will be a role model for their learners and encourage them to become good digital citizens.

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 1:52pm ()

Thanks for the quick response Louise... really interesting concerns that were raised- especially the human rights consideration around access, hadn't entered my mind at all. It was also interesting to read that you are dealing with more internet misuse issues in your role as AP. This seems to be an area of growing need for our children.

I had a wee chat with my 13 year old niece about her facebook page when it said she was in a relationship, was interested in men and had her cell phone number all open access as I wasn't a friend of hers at the time... she was just naive and had set it up with a friend and they were having a laugh! Just lack of knowledge really. I think as individuals we need to be mindful of our digital footprint and so that bit about modelling appropriate behaviour and being explicit about how we are using social media appropriately can only help our learners develop understandings.

A simple place to start perhaps... just asking if we were face to face with a person would we do or say the same things we do online as a discussion starter??? It's about appealing to a sense of citizenship perhaps, and some of those key values.

Just thoughts... off the topic I know!  

• Kerry Jenner (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:28pm ()

I'm very interested in the BYOD debate. There are the obvious pros and cons - and the fears around the cons. I'd love to read notes from folk working in schools wioth BYOD to leanr more from how and what you have experienced. It seems an inevitable move - rather a matter of when for secondary schools and maybe others as well. 

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:32am ()

It has been interesting following successes, learning curves, and future focus points. I related to the term ‘using ICT for effective learning’. I believe this is crucial to a worthy e-learning vision, and important for the leadership of a school. Having an attitude such as BYOD – everyone’s doing it so we need to get a move on, or it will help motivate students in the class are weak reasons to drive change and a direction using ICT within a school.

Why do we wish to foster e-learning? What benefits do we need to share with staff, learners, and our community around e-learning? What realistically do we know? What will we just need to be taking a ‘calculated’ risk with? How do we cast our vision, consult with the community? How can this enhance cultural responsiveness?

Many key ideas have already been shared including around teacher pedagogy, infrastructure, partnerships, consultation, resourcing, budgets!!

I liked the definition of digital citizenship and saw this nicely linking to a vision that would enhance education in NZ schools.

Liz Quickfall

• Mario (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:29pm ()

Alastair, I agree that upskilling can be very daunting for some staff. take me for example. Im surely a dinosaur when it comes to technology. I realise that i have to stay up with the times. But this will become such an important part of all classrooms in the 21 century. 

• raima (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 9:00pm ()

Kia ora Vicki, Great summary I can only add that the rubric is another way to being accountable for why we spend so much money on IT.  The rubric gives us the opportunity to look at our schools culture vision and philosophy of learning.  We are also asked to consider the 21st century learner and what do they look like.  Hmmm.  In our school the staff are very keen to absorb the opportunities of how IT can assist our learners and ourselves to meet the demands of the key competencies and to readily be adaptable to educational initiatives both as teachers and as students.  The caregivers are also drawn in to make contributions in the form of BYOD students now purchasing their own devices and using these devices both in school and home.  The  thinking is that all students will buy their own device and schools will no longer have to buy workstations this giving the school the opportunity to look at software and how we can further enable our studnets to take ownership of their own learning.  The Rubric gives us a clear framework of how we can address the needs of IT in our school community.  You have already identified key characteristics are needed to enable good IT implemetations for all endusers.  We can choose to understand the community in which we live in and the capabilites we have to support IT are very important when it comes to developing your own school roadmap.  Any way my point is no matter where you are with your e-learning we are rapidly moving towards a paperless enviroment. I mean it is great when you can mark your students work on line and have such storage space to enhance the longeivity of their learning.  Yep a very good tool.

• Gael Donaghy (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 10:49am ()

Kia ora Raima - I like the way you have come to know your parents' views on BYOD.  When it comes to equity, I think schools have to really dig deep to understand parents' perspectives.

There are two related ideas I think are important here. The TED video by Simon Sinek shows us how purpose is the greatest catalyst in influencing thinking around change.  So how do leaders go about understanding parents' perspectives on BYOD and, at the same time, showing them the compelling purposes for students' access to e-learning? 

I think the compelling purpose of e-learning is to free the teacher from being the dispenser of content so that s/he can concentrate on the use of the content to build understanding, learning and building new knowledge. 

An example to illustrate.  In Science (one of my teaching areas) I spent a lot of time teaching how to balance chemical equations (a somewhat mathematical process).  I used to go over and over it, and while some kids ‘got it’ quickly, others would take longer, some would think they had got it, then would find themselves stumped, and others still would continue to say “I still don’t get it.”  So what should have been interesting, trying things out experiment time was taken up with blackboard and workbook ‘grind’.  Now I see that this concept teaching can be left to learning on line (eg Khan Academy) while I concentrate on applying to the experimental work and applying the learning to the big questions that I want the kids to engage with (increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, acidification of oceans, etc). 

So ICT is a way of enabling e-learning, which frees the teacher to be troubleshooter and coach and catalyst for applying new learning to big ideas.  It is just a tool, but if we don’t have the right tools, it is more difficult to do a good job.

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2012 6:07pm ()

We have just used this tool to complete a self-review of where we are at and indenitfy our goals and actions for the next couple of years.  This tool made that process clear and consise with an explicit direction to move us forward.  Interestingly the key focus needs to be moving staff from thinking about ICT as a sometimes tool to thinking collaboration & higher order thinking through e-learning.  Some of our staff are well down that path but we need to get everyone taking steps 'further up the ladder' and in-particular make sure we are providing PD to our teacher-aide staff who seem to be much further behind than our teachers.

• Sharlene Carki (View all users posts) 05 Oct 2012 9:37pm ()

Hi Freya,

It sounds like we are at a similar place!  We have also used this tool to complete a self review for the next three years.  It certainly supported us to create some focused goals and actions.  I agree that PLD for teachers is also a huge consideration, you can make all the plans in the world but if there is no buy in, or teachers feel left behind without support then it will fall flat.  I also suppport building capacity in our TA's!  All the best for your journey.

• Des Lynch (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 12:52pm ()

Hi Freya, I too can see similarities with your situation.

In our school, I could see real value in using this framework to encourage staff to consider where they are at currently. Discussions around the subject of e-learning at our school have been met with mixed responses, as you might expect. Many people agree that there is a need to be ‘using technology more’ with their classes. But they point to issues around access and infrastructure, time management and lack of knowledge/expertise as being barriers to them. This would indicate that as a staff, we are still at the ‘emerge’ phase of the cycle, with a few of us heading into ‘engaging’

In terms of planning, I think that the framework could be useful in our situation for helping us to identify at both an individual and school-wide level where we are at in terms of our own digital literacy. This means that we actually need to gather relevant data from staff, students, whanau and community. As a school, we need to establish a clear direction to paddle in. More importantly we need to get staff (and community) to understand WHY we need to move in this direction. The framework, along with case studies and resources could be helpful in allowing us to see HOW we can get there.

• Nicole Cunningham (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 3:02pm ()

Thanks Freya, It's always great to hear from people who have actually used a tool with success.  We are planning our e-learning PD for next year and this looks like a comprehensive 'road map' to start with.  Have you found any pitfalls so far that you could warn us about before we embark on our journey?

• Annette Barnett (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2012 6:43pm ()

After looking at the e-LPF I too was excited about how this could be used in our school to set future goals for staff and students. I asked our DP a few weeks ago if he had heard of the framework and he said he was using it as a basis for planning with the ICT team but on a very small scale. Today he was appointed as the new Principal for next year, so after congratulating him on his appointment, I asked if we would be adoptng the framework on a more in-depth basis, which he agreed he was keen to do.  

After reading the process that needs to take place for whole school buy in, I would think it is something that needs to be discussed by management and staff ASAP in order to put into next years implementation plan, and now that we are both on board hopefully this may happen. We did an ICT  PD contract a few years ago, but I feel without the drive of the wonderful facilitator we had, that some teachers have lost inspiration. I think the e-LPF would give future focus for all and where necessary insure that teachers become up-skilled using the many support services available. Looking forward to some changes for 2013!

• Ruth Foulkes (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2012 9:58pm ()

How refreshing to read of others in a similar place to me. I feel less of a dinosaur and now excited by the prospect of change and a tool to help focus and channel us. It is very easy to use remoteness and small school syndrome and lack of funds and poor internet access as an excuse but for me that is just what it is, an excuse and not a very good one. It is certainly made me feel less hopeless about our situation which I now realise is not as dire as I first thought, and having looked at the framework it certainly has helped me pinpoint my own focus and that from a leadership point of view. For us it is essential that we have a clear vision and one that is collaboratively achieved. Again as with many of you this is timely for us as we revisit our vision, think about our changing needs, and look to the future of our students. We certainly have some un tapped resources and skills within the school and an ever increasing knowledge of available resources at our fingertips. Like you Annette, we too did the ICT contract and have since lost the drive or momentum. The framework looks to me at first glance to be user friendly and is now a priority for discussion with the principal and staff. We have come a long way this year I am looking forward to covering lots more ground next year. Thank you to the team who developed the framework and to members posting here, it is encouraging and valuable as well as exciting.

• Judy Cooke (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 9:35am ()

Hi Annette,

You convey a sense of urgency to get this underway for next year - lucky you having a Principal who is familiar with and keen to use this tool.  I think you are right to push forward in haste!  At my school we introduced laptops for every student in Y5 in 2011.  The parent meetings were very contentious at that time as parents challenged us as to why this level of ICT use and what proof did we have it would be effective both in learning and raising engagement in learning and therefore student achievement.  At that time they were quite right - there wasn't much evidence - I sound like it was ages ago because having just done the parent presentation for the classes in 2013 and the reflection on how much e-capacity has grown in just the last couple of years means as educators we need to have a sense of urgency... the simple growth and use of ICT tools in everyday life let alone in education has been phenominal and will continue to be - the one that blows me away is the banking you can do by 'bumping' mobile phone devices- how bizzare!  But for me, and I sensed from your post to, it is imperative we know where we are going as educators and have a coherent plan as coherence is one of the underpinning principles in our curriculum.  All the best for the changes afoot in 2013!

• Matt Morrison (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 7:48pm ()

Hi Mike and Freya,

Like you guys, becoming aware of this stuff is great timing for me. We have just purchased 2 new sets of "cows- computers on wheels", which is going to be great for my department. We will finally have easy access to reliable computers! The challenge of course is what to do with them. I feel really strongly, that e-learning needs to be about good pedagogy first and foremost. The 5 principals mentioned in the framework look really interesting and the website on TKI has some fantastic resources to get you thinking about where to head with e-learning.

• James Fletcher (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 2:02pm ()

Yes Mike looks like we will be following lead next year with IT.  This framework will give me and my staff at fantastic starting point.  Help us distinguish what is important in our IT journey.  Enabling us to engage staff, BOT, community and help us create 21st century digital learners

• Anne-Marie Bullock (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:47am ()

After reading through the e-learning framework over the last week and reviewing case studies form other schools, I have found the e learning framework to be a starting point to begin discussion around what our strategic plan will be for e-learning. Today in fact we have a professional development event around the implementation of student/home intranet at our college. We are at the emerging phase...(we being the staff..as many of our student's are already digital natives

• Joan Hart (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 2:05pm ()

Korero 16

It’s a great tool to identify existing strengths and needs which enables these needs to be matched with outcomes, professional development and funding/resources required to meet the school’s vision and ensures the school measures the ongoing impact of planned actions.

It's important for staff to have a buy in by not just identifying areas of strengths & weaknesses, needs, professional development required, but identifying the difference this learning could make to their teaching, management, planning and/or support of student’s learning. It is not the tool that is the important factor but the value it can bring to our core business.

The supporting documents provide ideas and resources to help make a start.

The most effect ICT training that has occurred in our school has been when it was in contexts that directly related to specific learning outcomes in the particular classroom or to the teachers specific needs (very individualised, small steps but ones that were being used from the beginning in an essential operation for that particular teacher, making that task easier, more effective, better targeted to the learning needs of the students…). Like all learning, the skill of the facilitator in enabling the student to gain independence, and the students engagement so they are an active learner is a crucial part otherwise the initiative dies when the facilitators focus is channeled in another direction.

It does need to be said that highly sophisticated ICT systems require expert maintenance and schools and the ministry need to be prepared to fund this otherwise frustration with system failures becomes a big issue for teachers and learners. Large schools are in a better position to have this service on tap. Smaller isolated schools are more challenged in being able to have high caliber technical support readily available when hiccups occur.

• Kay Lowe (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2012 3:24pm ()

The e-Learning Planning Framework is timely for me as it will help with my inquiry, which is centred around reading and the use of e-learning. I felt my inquiry was lacking direction in the respect of where to next and what are the next steps? I think a question as a leader has been how I can challenge others to use e-learning as a tool not just to replace a traditional way of doing things but one which has intentional deliberate acts of teaching which extend beyond the traditional methods?

I like the concept of e-Learning being called Blended Learning as I think this allows for a much more open interruption and extended notion of the kinds of skills and learning experiences one can tap into.

• sharon fuemana (View all users posts) 23 Oct 2012 2:30pm ()

Hi Kay,

You have highlighted an interesting point with regard to e-learning and the importance of planning DATS to extend it beyond traditional methods of teaching.  Does this require a shift of thinking to avoid the automaticism of transferring traditional methods of learning to the e-learning context?

I would suggest it does and after reading the e-learning framework it sets clear direction to do this.  A critical key is leadership and strategic planning which has a clear focus on professional development to support teachers to support successful student learning. 

Others have mentioned in their posts the need to use the e-learning framework as a road map to review where you are at and from there plan next steps and how to get there!  Too often as teachers we are keen to get iinto the doing so that kids start leanring using the computer as a tool.  This can go either way - successfully or unsuccessfully which limits teachers confidence to keep trying.

The e-learning framework is a brilliant tool to develop successful implementation of e-learning regardless of the schools starting point and context.

NB. I made another post in replying to you Kay but have no idea where it has gone!!   Maybe it will turn up so I will not repeat myself too much Wink

• Erin Sawyer (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2012 4:39pm ()

I'm looking forward to reading through these posts. Part of my responsibilities this year was to write the eLearning strategic plan. I spent quite some time gathering resources and examples such as the eLearning Planning Framework. What I discovered was that we couldn't move forward with any sort of plan until we had a clear vision and overall strategic plan.

We had spent some time developing a curriculum. With changes to management this process became stagnant. We now have remnants of a great curriculum but no cohesion. The first port of call was finding all the parts and analysing what we had and didn't have. We have now recognised that there is a lot of work to do as a whole staff in identifying and clarifying our vision. Once this is clear then eveything else can hang on it.

Another of our struggles is our network. We have had great plans in the past, rolling out whole school initiatives. Unfortunately, we realised that if the whole school buys in, then not everyone can access the resource at once. Fibre will hopefully make a big difference to us but this is not an option in the foreseeable future.

eLearning is something that is very dear to my heart. I have a passion for the engagement and learning oppotunities it brings. I feel very strongly, however, that we don't just jump on the bandwagon or buy the latest gadget unless we have thought about student acheivement. We need to be sensible about purchases and clear about our intent. It should always be about teaching and learning and not the technology!

I'm going to take the time now to read through other posts, although I have a lot more to say on this!! Wink

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 16 Oct 2012 8:22am ()

Kia ora Erin,

Thanks for your comments:-) Your post reflects clear thinking and forward planning that takes into account the challenges that can arise from staff changes and other issues beyond our control. Infrastructure is certainly an issue to grapple with, but equally schools can start small - Kevin Honeycutt at ULearn12 urged us not to wait..I wonder what creative, exciting learning can be achieved within the current environment? Often, a fresh exploration of the content/pedagogy can be the key to making the most of what we have while we plan for the futureSmile

• Blair Giles (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 9:39pm ()

Get out there Freya and visit some schools that you know are doing good things - it'd be great professional learning, alongside the use of these resources.  Good luck!

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 02 Nov 2012 8:40am ()

Yes we already have done this!  In term 2  and 3 we sent two groups of teachers to visit a range of schools in Auckland to see what they were doing with:

• Physical space (eg breakout rooms)
    • Furniture
    • Personalised learning
    • eLearning

It was fantastic PD and a great opportunity to gather ideas which have helped us to shape our eLearning strategic plan that we are now developing.

• Danielle Fong (View all users posts) 02 Nov 2012 3:54pm ()

What a great resource!

As far as I know we have not used this in our school but it looks fabulous when thinking about e-learning in the classroom and also within and across a school.  Aspects I think are especially valuable are:

• the rubric is great as  youc an determine where you at with e-learning but slwo where you can go.  
    • I like possible approach documaent because it encourages people to think about how it influences students.  Sometimes people get carried away with some things and it has no effect on students an=chievement,engagement or learning.
    • The discussion starters that are on te website look interesting and would foster interseting discussions esepcially for those people who perhaps do not value e-learning and the use of technology in the classrooms.
    • The practical steps are great and suggest avenues for investigation that people may not hink of especailly for people who may lack knowledge and confidence in the area of ICT and e-learning.

At my school I think we need a plan and more strategic direction about where we are going with ICT and E-learning and this resource would be a great help.  

Sometimes I think technology and e-learning is like an ice berg - we are just seeing and using what is above the surface when there is a whole lot more that we can't see and do not even know about.

This was a great resource / webiste etc to introduce us to as part of the NAPP programme.

• Deb Marsden (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 2:52pm ()

I found it funny that all of the early entries in this Korero talk about the perfectness of the timing for lookikng at the e-learning framework.  Would the timing always be right, due to the framework having relevance to all schools despite what point they may be at in their journey, or is it that the environment at this point in time is right for the frameowrk to be explored and discussed?  We have had a number of HoDs in our ICT department in the six years that I have been at my current school - four in fact - and each HoD had their own bent, their own pet projects (or technology type) or direction that they felt ICT and e-Learning should be going in.  They would make a sound-sounding proposal to the BoT, who really want to be a Board that invests into future-proofing not only our school but our students also, who would generally invest into the project/technology proposal of the day.  But, after the various HoDs and being left with redundant technologies (or technologies that don't adequately function as the supporting infrastructure were never factored into the original proposal) the BoT is not so keen to invest into fads or pet projects.  Maybe if they hadn't seen the nightmare that was left by four very different HoDs they may never have seen what they can now see - that an overarching plan is needed that will remain constant despite the particular teaching staff, or technology of the day; that the learning outcomes and reasons for the technology need to come first and then the technology needs to be matched to the need (rather than the other way around as it has often been for us).  THe e-Learning framework hasn't been something that has been discussed in our school - at a staffing, leadership or BoT level but it fits the new approach that has organically been started in our school through wondering how things can be solidified and strengthened.

• Joan Hart (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 12:45pm ()

Korero 16

It’s a great tool to identify existing strengths and needs which enables these needs to be matched with outcomes, professional development and funding/resources required to meet the school’s vision and ensures the school measures the ongoing impact of planned actions.

It's important for staff to have a buy in by not just identifying areas of strengths & weaknesses, needs, professional development required, but identifying the difference this learning could make to their teaching, management, planning and/or support of student’s learning. It is not the tool that is the important factor but the value it can bring to our core business.

The supporting documents provide ideas and resources to help make a start.

The most effect ICT training that has occurred in our school has been when it was in contexts that directly related to specific learning outcomes in the particular classroom or to the teachers specific needs (very individualised, small steps but ones that were being used from the beginning in an essential operation for that particular teacher, making that task easier, more effective, better targeted to the learning needs of the students…). Like all learning, the skill of the facilitator in enabling the student to gain independence, and the students engagement so they are an active learner is a crucial part otherwise the initiative dies when the facilitators focus is channeled in another direction.

It does need to be said that highly sophisticated ICT systems require expert maintenance and schools and the ministry need to be prepared to fund this otherwise frustration with system failures becomes a big issue for teachers and learners. Large schools are in a better position to have this service on tap. Smaller isolated schools are more challenged in being able to have high caliber technical support readily available when hiccups occur.

• Lorraine Makutu (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2012 10:18pm ()

It was gratifying attending the APPA Breakfast meeting this morning and hearing about E2E which is being launched with Cognition and TTS. It actually reiterated how well we are going and where our next steps will be. The ELearning framework assisted with this last year when wereviewed where we wanted to be and we were able to use the cycle to make our evaluations and reassess our goals.

You're right, Freya this tool is great!

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2012 12:06pm ()

Thanks for your comments, Lorraine and Freya Laughing

You (and others) might be interested to have a look at the thread - Have you used the e-Learning Planning Framework? - that explores practical ways to facilitate this in school.

It's great that you found it useful, Lorraine. Are you able to suggest why? What was it about the tool that was helpful?

And Freya - how do you think you might approach the planning? Will you involve the wider staff, do you think?

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2012 8:53pm ()

We started with forming a team including the principal, eLearning leader, ICT technician/teacher support, BOT member and myself (DP).  From this point we discussed a number of things including who else should have a voice (e.g. students).  Not long after this the eLearning lead teacher, myself and a couple of other teachers visited a range of schools in Auckland to explore what they were doing with space, furniture and personalised learning.  After this we developed an outline of our vision of where we are heading and shared it with the rest of staff. 

The next steps are for us to decide how the eLearning Planning Framework can help us with our decision making and to obtain teacher and student input into our vision and strategic plan.  I am looking forward to the webinar on 5th September as I am hoping this will help us develop a clear understanding of how this tool can help us developing our strategic plan and next steps.  I believe very strongly in the importance for developing a shared vision to ensure everybody is on board and committed to the direction we head.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2012 10:42am ()

Thanks for your comments, Freya. Yes, the webinar kicks off today at 3.45pm - it will be recorded for those who can't make the session and repeated on 31st October. We'll clarify the key aspects of the framework, why you might use it and hear from Greg Carroll and Annemarie Hyde about how they have used it. There will be time to share some thoughts and questions across the group too. See you there:-)

Meanwhile, you may have seen the story in the Ed Gazette about how one school has used the framework for planning: First-time principal embraces Blended e-Learning - Education Gazette

• Melanie Matthews (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2012 5:00pm ()

After the super conversations and facilitation of todays webinar I am looking forward to:

• getting our staff independant surveys back 
    • Comparing views between, teachers, principal and the community. 
    • unpicking the framework piece by piece as a group.

At present I am the Lead Teacher and are now thinking, after todays webinar,  I need to develop an eLearning team that meets to help create our schools vision of eLearning within our Teaching and Learning.

Now wondering if the repeated webinar on 31st October will be worth dropping in on?

Mel

• Catherine Swney (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2012 5:06pm ()

I am afraid to say that our school is probably still at the emerging level - still battling with outdated technology and when staff on ICT contract last 3 years, the initial enthusiasim was there but not sustainable because the server is not reliable and we had not gone through the process highlighted in the framework of identifying where we were at and what practical steps that we needed to do to improve practice and infrastructure, until ultra fast broadband is rolled out next year. I liked the idea mentioned on the webinaire about having big copies of the framework and teachers working through in groups , discussing where they think the school is. One way of getting whole staff buy-in and actually seeing the bigger picture of where we need to go.

Just some thoughts!

• Craig Chapman (View all users posts) 04 Oct 2012 11:25am ()

Hi Catherine, I work in 23 schools helping with teaching and learning using ICT. As you can imagine there is a huge spread of needs as far as infrastructure goes, and I completely understand the frustrations you feel.

As a school you may feel 'emergent', but have any of your teachers 'extended' themselves on the sly? I'll explain what I mean Smile A number of teachers I work with have an iPhone or smartphone on a smartphone plan, and have cottoned onto using their smartphone to 'bypass' their school infrastructure.  I have one teacher I work with in a technology poor environment (tela laptop is the only classroom computer, old wireless, no digital camera etc), but she has an iPhone on a plan... She has the blogger app set up to her class blog, so at any point she can take a photo, joosh it up with another app (she likes Infinicam), discuss a post with the kids, and whip it up into cyberspace without her school infrasructure getting in the way.  She also uses pinterest and instagram in a similar way.  So to me, she is using her technology (not the school's) to co-construct reflection with the kids.

Any similar experiences?

• Grant Dick (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:47pm ()

Hi Craig, think there are number of frustrations like this in schools, problems are going to come with security (by passing protection) and also the 'who pays' situation. It is very costly getting ourselves set up properly for BYOD.

• Linda Ireton (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 4:21pm ()

Hi Catherine

Our school sounds like it is in a very similar position to yours. Reading the framework and supporting resources, I feel more like we will now have a clearer focus for our emergent journey!

I watched the video of Julia Atkin and was challenged by her comment about seeing transformation happen when the whole staff are involved in writing the intial elearning plan. She talked about meeting staff where they, taking small steps and allowing them to define their learning needs. Then she issued a challenge asking how we can help staff imagine the possibilities in learning with technologies. She said resistance decreases when people begin to imagine what can be done. I will be looking for good school stories on the elearning site to share with teachers.

Cheers

Linds

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2012 5:34pm ()

webinar screen shot

We have just finished this afternoon's webinar, and it was great to 'see' so many folk from NAPP there. A huge thank you to everyone who participated, especially Greg Carroll, who brought a principal's perspective, and Annemarie Hyde, who will share her story here (in lieu of a working microphone;-).

Listen again....

For those who missed it, the recording is available here: /groupcms/view/187012/webinar-recordings

A summary....

With such a large group, the chat was fast and furious! - here are some of the key points that came to the surface:

• e-Capability building needs all five dimensions of the framework to be integrated into the school's strategic planning - and the framework gives us a shared language across the staff and wider community:

I have an idea about where we are but it is important to go through the analysis before moving on"

• It pays to spend time unpacking the framework as a staff, with active leadership, so that everyone feels part of the process and can develop a shared understanding

"Good to refocus leadership and teachers on learning ... we have been building up infrastructure and have nearly achieved equity and some skills with tool"

"We are moving from curriculum leaders to groups so that there is more of a feeling that development is owned and directed by the staff rather than individuals."

• Regardless of where your school is at - pre-emerging? empowering? - the framework can help draw a deliberate line in the sand, and point to priority areas for planning.
    • Roger asked:

"Emerging School vision - are principals applying generic consultation skills and not getting hung up on their lack of e-learning knowledge and vision? Or do they struggle with the feeling they are somewhat inadequate?

..and in response, we discussed the importance of leaders being active, present and hands-on, even in a distributed leadership model.

• Professional learning should be differentiated to give everyone a space to engage in the learning - this works better than champion groups or individuals - buddy teams, personal use of technology as a staff and appraisal all came through on the chat as possible ways forward here.

Enabling e-Learning content on TKI and communities in the VLN deliberately align to the framework - make use of them to ask questions, exploit school stories and draw on colleagues' experience.

Useful links

Some of the links that were shared in the chat box:

..and that wasn't all. What have I missed?! Which questions went unanswered?

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 10:01am ()

I missed it unfortunately even though I registered. Am I able to fulfill the requirements for NAPP by listening to the recording etc as the 31st of October doesn't work for me?

• J Sheridan (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 10:20am ()

Hi Kate - I am happy to go over the stuff we covered yesterday - the wind was howling over here so was unable to use microphone but some really good advice and resources in chat and conference room. I can e-mail info or skype, let me know.

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2012 8:50am ()

Hi Jo, I listened to the webinar on Saturday and I think I am all good- it was great listening to the recording - just like being there Cool

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Sep 2012 12:28pm ()

Kia ora tatou, thank you for your on-going feedback in this forum. If you are still wanting to glean some ideas from others, about how they've used the e-Learning Planning Framework, then you might be interested in the latest step-by-step commentary in, Have you used the e-Learning Planning Framework? 

You might also like to share some experiences of your own Smile.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.