Search

Successful wifi access for iPads to TV screens and projectors?

Started by Carol Kendall 25 Jul 2012 8:31pm () Replies (28)

Today we used a trial version of Airserver to connect one, and then a second iPad through a teacher's macbook over wifi. It failed miserably - the connection would drop suddenly. When we tried to connect the second iPad, the computer froze and had to be restarted. This happened twice before we gave up.

I know that some of you have used this successfully, so I'm not sure what went wrong for us. I was hoping to use Airserver so we wouldn't need to purchase AppleTVs etc - we currently have a mixture of data projectors and one TV. Has anyone had a similar experience with Airserver that they have been able to overcome, or with Reflection?

Replies

• Jacqui Sharp (View all users posts) 25 Jul 2012 8:36pm ()

Reflection is a popular choice and is working well with the teachers I know that are using it! I use it  myself for courses and workshops, sometimes have the odd crash but always able to get it back again quickly. And it is also available for Windows now!

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 25 Jul 2012 8:52pm ()

I use both Apple TV - very reliable - when it is not and the connection drops usually indication the WiFi is not up to it - this activity of mirroring a screen has to have constant bandwidth and a high data rate!

I also use Reflection and have had up to 7 devices on the screen at a time - Not as reliable as Apple TV though!

JUst back from 5 day conference on iPads run by Apple in Cork Ireland with 230 fellow Apple Distinguished Educators from around the world- expect some amazing resources for iPads in Education in October!

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 25 Jul 2012 9:18pm ()

I have my own Apple TV at home that works amazingly. I did test it at school a while back, but not in the past year. Nevertheless, I'm looking for another solution if I can find one that works.

We had a new Ruckus system put in at school over the summer holidays. I was testing the iPads this morning before school, when there was less activity. I only looked at a couple of apps, and photos - nothing over the internet.

Sounds like October will be like Christmas in the iPad Education world!

• Chris THEOBALD (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 9:04am ()

Hi there,

Looking through old comments and am hoping that you can help me out! 

I have a mac book pro and have been using airserver with good success to display ipads and iphones to my mac which is then in turn connected to a projector.

I am thinking about purchasing an apple tv for my class so i can connect ipads directly to my projector without having to use my mac.

My question - can i connect my mac pro to my apple tv (wirelessly)?

Thanks!

Chris Theobald

cpxtheobald@gmail.com

• Graeme Hood (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 9:30am ()

We use apple TV's for connecting ipad to hdmi projectors and reflector app on laptops for non-hdmi projectors (did try adapter boxes ie hdmi to VGA, but the quality is reduced).

Apple TV will mirror your macbook screen but only if you are running Mountain Lion (10.8) See info at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Brent McDowell (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 10:52am ()

Hi Chris,

Just to follow on from Graeme, you will need to be running 10.8 but also using a more recent macbookpro model. Older macbooks can connect to Apple TVs using Airparrot; I use this method and it works well.

Thanks,

Brent

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 25 Jul 2012 8:56pm ()

Now that is a tease Stuart. Have you been sworn to secrecy? Are you able to share anything now? Smile

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 25 Jul 2012 9:02pm ()

I use Reflection at home and it works perfectly. At my school it is rubbish and I gave up. At another school I did a presentation at it worked flawlessly for an hour.

Maybe it is rubbish wireless or proxies or.....

Warren Hall might know.

• joleneb (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2012 10:57am ()

@ Stuart. Do you have a link for the event you mention in October

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2012 11:26am ()

The resources will be published on iTunes U - most will be in the form of an iBook format!

• Vicki Maguire (View all users posts) 04 May 2013 4:33pm ()

I use AirServer and find it works perfectly...on two devices too

• Vicki Maguire (View all users posts) 04 May 2013 4:33pm ()

I use AirServer and find it works perfectly...on two devices too

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 1:10am ()

Hi Vicki things have moved forward in a year. I use Reflector (was  Reflection) and on the whole find it very reliable. It does depend on good wifi, like everything. Have had up to six ipads on a screen at once - good with a TV. It does at times blank out when you are processing eg. Recording but usually comes back again. Reflector also has a screen record built in.  Wifi is king!

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 1:10am ()

Hi Vicki things have moved forward in a year. I use Reflector (was  Reflection) and on the whole find it very reliable. It does depend on good wifi, like everything. Have had up to six ipads on a screen at once - good with a TV. It does at times blank out when you are processing eg. Recording but usually comes back again. Reflector also has a screen record built in.  Wifi is king!

• Stu Morrison (View all users posts) 05 May 2013 9:20am ()

Hi

We are currently in the throes of investigating iPads etc. I have been having a play with Air Server and so far it's been running fine through my lap top. (Windows) Initially we had a recurring error but a quick trip to the airserver website found an easy fix in their FAQ's.

We do have very good WiFi

Join this group to contribute to discussions.