Search

Establishing Communities of Practice

• Public
Started by Janak 23 Jul 2012 6:50pm () Replies (4)

There are already curriculum/special interest communities out there - we all need to be active in those communities in sharing about the VLN & encouraging them to work together through the VLN - it is not just for online teachers.

The other things we can do is to identify eTeachers who are active in the VLN Communities and encourage them to develop COPS. 

Do you know any eTeachers who you think would be interested in leading some activity in an area of interest/or are already doing so?

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• Ken Pullar (View all users posts) 26 Jul 2012 7:12pm ()

I wonder if our eTeachers almost live a dual identity - as 'subject teachers' (eg I'm a Maths teacher and have existing professional networks which meet my curriculum teaching needs) and seperately as an 'eTeacher' (with a similar, but distinct networks of online teachers where the curriculum isnt as important as the medium they are teaching in - such networks are usually based within a cluster)

If this is the case, perhaps these teachers feel there professional needs are already met, via multiple more local, existing networks

There may not be a percieved need for 'subject eTeacher' communities

- Just thinking out loud.

Another thing inhibiting the growth of such 'subject eTeacher' communities, is the lack of opportunity for vital initial 'f2f' relationship building opportunities - its very difficult for any online CoP to establish without opportunities to meet first physical (& establish tentative relationships).

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

The VLN Community - Home of the Learning Communities Online (LCO)

The VLN Community - Home of the Learning Communities Online (LCO)

The Virtual Learning Network Community (VLNC) is a network of school clusters who collaborate to provide access to curriculum and learning opportunities for students through online learning.