Search

Managing large numbers of iPads

• Public
Started by Iain Cook-Bonney 23 Jul 2012 1:12pm () Replies (3)

Hi everybody.

I work with several schools that use ipads, most of them have under thirty of them, which is usually able to be handled by one master computer through iTunes.

I have looked at Apple configurator, but the sticky point for me is the volume licensing for paid apps. Not wanting to head down this track until this is sorted out in NZ.

I have one school that will shortly have almost 70 ipads, so I think I need to rethink how they are managed there.

Is there anyone else out there with large numbers of ipads. How are they managed? also interested in storage and charging options too.

Replies

• Andy Parker (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 1:19pm ()

Hi Iain,

We're using the Casper suite from JAMF software to manage iPad deployment, policies and apps. This can distribute Free apps at present for us and direct users to Paid Apps. When VPP does make it to our shores it's ready to go for that.

Mountain Lion server should also be able to assist with management of iOS devices. http://www.apple.com/osx/server/features/#profile-manager

Regards,

Andy

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 1:30pm ()

We are about to give Apple Configurator a go but there were a couple of stumbling blocks first which has delayed delving into it. Majorly we had to have Lion working on the master laptop first. That took a while to organise.

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12

Ideally I am thinking that with large numbers of iPads I would distribute 'ownership' by giving each teacher/syndicate/group control over their own group of iPads and synch them in to their own iTunes accounts on their own laptops.

I am not sure that I would necessarily use Configurator to buy multiple copies when VPP comes in cos a lot of apps may not have VPP agreements attached to them and you would still have to purchase them one at a time any way.

I would still use Configurator to do the iOS updates and push the updates out in batches. At the moment we update one at a time. That seems to make sense and be a time saver.

I am no expert though and I haven't actually used Configurator yet. Maybe one of the ADE's recently returned from the Apple Summit will be able to give us some pointers???

Join this group to contribute to discussions.