Search

How do you curate what you find on the web?

• Public
Started by Annemarie Hyde 22 Jul 2012 9:25pm () Replies (11)

I also put this on Twitter tonight.  I've been absorbed and excited with Twitter over the last few months - but have found so much material I'd like to refer to again, that I realise I need to curate it (term I've discovered now means sort and store your stuff from the web).

Thanks to @justadandak, @Allanahk and @edtechtoday, I'm going to look at Scoop It, Pinterest, Diigo, Delicious (I've got an account), Evernote and IFTTT.I've used Netvibes previously too.

What are your preferences? Has anyone compared tools? I need help!

Replies

• Wendy Stafford (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 9:50pm ()

I love PINTEREST - it has an app for iPad also. Great for following other like-minded teachers and a fantastic visual reference (itemising specific things).

Only2Clicks is my number one bookmarking tool, again allowing me to categorise and again stores information VISUALLY. Only2Clicks also provides a private page option so you can keep some things to yourself (I use this when sharing my account with students). In a classroom setting I have created a classroom account and labelled the categories according to student groups (eg reading, writing, math groups) and put the online tools I want those children to be using on their own page... give it a go, it only takes two clicks.Laughing

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 9:54pm ()

Thanks Wendy! haven't heard of that one - so much to look at!  Tongue Out

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 10:06pm ()

Excellent! I think you've solved another problem with my school intranet.  Love that Malfroy are using it...good on them!  I've been on the site and as always, you pick easily used tools. Laughing

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 11:02pm ()

Have just been tweeted link to educlipper - so exploring that as well.  Any more thoughts from others?

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 3:19pm ()

I use Diigo.  I used to use Delicious but got wind that it was being bought out and would fold so exported to Diigo only to find that Delicious is still active!  For videos I use Vodpod; it has recently been bought out by another party but still operates the same.  Diigo is great for creating groups and sharing tagged sites to specific people as well as having a public sharing option too.  There is a Chrome and Firefox add-on which allows you to make quicklinks and also to annotate articles and websites with sticky notes and highlighters.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 3:28pm ()

I am with you on this, I love Diigo, so easy to share stuff with other people and highlight interesting bits, tag and find stuffeasily.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 4:52pm ()

Thanks for this - tonight I'll explore Diigo.

2 Clicks was nice and easy...Evernote was annoying and educlipper didn't work...could be me! I'm looking at ease of use as well as versatility across online types of info - tweets, blogs.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2012 5:19pm ()

Enjoying the chat, everyone:-)

I use Delicious for my personal bookmarks (e.g. Virtual Learning - although I think they are about to change this...*sigh*), with public 'stacks' that I share. I funnel a lot of notes to Evernote, including my Tweets, and I like Netvibes for presenting differently categorised resources during professional learning (e.g. this one on virtual learning I used for a recent breakfast seminar...).

I switched from Delicious to Diigo and then back (hurray for export/import functionality), used Scoop.it for a week and then got bored of it..and now I am trying to capture the really good stuff in my blog and wrap some context round it.... so not only am I curating stuff for me, but someone else might get some benefit, too:-).

I do, quietly, also tend to agree with Tim Kong in this post he made in the 'tools to manage our lives' thread a while ago, when he said "You can always just google and download it again next week. :)"...lol...

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2012 5:41pm ()

Yes, I remember reading that! However, it was good to know I had a quick link to an article on Twitter lists today when @TheHeadsOffice asked if anyone could remember the specific reference on Twitter.

I've used Delicious but let it fall by the wayside.  Why did you swap back from Diigo?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.