Search

Arohatia te reo - Cherish our language & join me in a 7 day challenge!

• Public
Started by Moana Timoko 22 Jul 2012 2:04pm () Replies (25)

Arohatia te reo

Ko ngā rā mō te Wiki o te Reo Māori 2012 ko te 23-29 o Hūrae.  

The days for Māori Language Week 2012 are 23 -29 of July.

I need to improve my reo and would love for you to join me in a 7 day challenge.

Let's use a BROfessional approach to complete this challenge.  

What do I mean by BRO???

B - A Blended approach

R - A Relevant & Real approach

O - An Open approach

Let's share a word, a phrase, a yarn every day.  How?  Let's think about how we might share our reo using a BLENDED approach - Use your reo in your conversations for the day, and then share how you might utilize ICT to assist another learner with your word, phrase or yarn by posting it here.  Keep it RELEVANT and REAL by using your reo in context, and be OPEN by sharing.  

It could be as simple as using a photo and a word...or by creating a video clip of someone sharing their reo.  It would be nice if you could leave some simple instructions about how you used ICT to capture your moment and/or how you actually embedded it or uploaded it to this space.

Me kōrero, me kōrero!

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 3:16pm ()

This was an easy process to follow to add my audio recording using PodOmatic .

This would be good learning for you all to set up an account, and then add your own audio recording.  

1. Register
    2. Scroll to the welcome notice on the right (middle of the page) - click on start here
    3. Work through the steps
    4. I used the microphone on PodOmatic
    5. Work through the steps - stick with the defaults until you've had a good tutu - I didn't add any extra info - ensure you scroll and save
    6. Go back to your home page
    7. Click on your recording - you'll have to find it (Just look for it - it'll be highlighted)
    8. Find "EMBED"
    9. Copy the EMBED code (Change any details here if you want re: playing automatically, colours, size)
    10. Click into the comment box on this blog - add your written post
    11. Click on HTML - paste your EMBED code into the space
    12. Wait a few seconds and post!!!

If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try and work through the process with you.

Ka pai!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2012 6:41pm ()

Kia ora anō koutou.

I have been granted permission by Mr Tahu Paki to share a link to his You Tube Video Tutorial where he is sharing basic greetings, questions and phrases.  Tahu presents a challenge for you to use more reo Māori in the workplace. 

Sharing links is easy peasy!  

1. Open another tab in your browser - I use Google Chrome so I click on the '+' button above in the tab bar next to the open page and enter another web address.  
    2. Find what you want and highlight the web address and copy it.  
    3. Return to your entry - Have a look at the sentence above where I've highlighted 'Tahu Paki' and 'Tutorial' - Highlight what you want linked. 
    4. Click on the 'interlocked chain'  in the formatting box above your entry (comment) and paste the web address in the box 'URL Link'.  

Your viewers will be able to click on the highlighted words to link directly to another web address.

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 8:59am ()

Kia ora anō

You may also be interested in checking out Tō tātou reo - Tō tātou wero / Our reo - Our challenge

A 40 day challenge to improve your reo by sharing a phrase a day.  

The challenge ends at the end of this week so jump in and have a look - steal a phrase and listen to the audio recordings.  If you're unsure about anything just post a question or an attempt and the experts will be called upon to assist.  Whakanuia te reo!  Arohatia te reo!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 9:04am ()

Tēnā koutou katoa

Check out the BLOG post Celebrating Te Reo Māori by Janelle Riki for more ideas links for sharing our reo.

Whakanuia te reo!  Arohatia te reo!!!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 9:42am ()

Nau mai, haere mai anō

Check out this discussion post by Tania Coutts Te Wiki o te Reo Māori - Tania is encouraging others to share ideas about cherishing te reo in daily practice, by encouraging tamariki and by utilizing ICT.

Whakanuia te reo!  Arohatia te reo!

• Phoebe Davis (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 3:01pm ()

Kia ora koutou. not sure if you've seen this but, vodafone has released this cool app called Hika Lite. It translate english to Maori. Here's the linkhttp://www.vodafone.co.nz/apps-services/hika/

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 3:04pm ()

Nau mai, haere mai ki tēnei kōrerorero Phoebe!  Tino pai te app rā!Smile

• Claire Buist (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 7:57pm ()

Kia ora, Moana! My tamahine watched Mr Tahu Paki setting the challenge and took it on with enthusiasm! Thanks to you and him for sharing... They videoed classmates out and about greeting peers from other classes and asking how they were at interval! It was fantastic! They have asked for a similar challenge everyday! Laughing

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 9:05pm ()

Tēnā koe Claire

Nau mai, haere mai ki tēnei wāhi kōrero!  Welcome to this Discussion post!!!  Tino pai ā koutou mahi!!!

Hoki mai - Come back and check as I'll be posting here everyday!  Mr Tahu Paki will be adding more posts so hoki mai, hoki mai!!!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 9:19pm ()

Kia ora koutou - Ko Tahu Paki tēnei.  Me āta whakarongo ki tana kōrero.  Arohatia te reo!!!

How to embed from YouTube:

1. Select your clip
    2. Click on 'Share'
    3. Click on 'Embed'
    4. Select your size and any other details - Read through the options
    5. Copy the 'Embed' code that appears in a box - highlighted
    6. Return to your post
    7. Click on 'HTML' in the edit/formatting box above your comment
    8. Paste your embed code - then 'Update'
    9. Waalaa - It should appear in your post

If you have any queries message me and I'll help where I can or I'll help you find your answers.

Arohatia te reo e hoa mā!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 9:35pm ()

Ko te wero o te rā tuarua tēnei!  Ko Tahu Paki te kaikōrero hii ha hii!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.