Search

iPads in education | An Enabling e-Learning event

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 11 Jul 2012 3:01pm () Replies (23)

Judging from the high interest in discussions within the iPad/iPod user group, iPads in education is a current trend for many schools. Perhaps your school is thinking about purchasing iPads and not sure how to get started. Perhaps you’re personally interested in trialing ways of working with iPads in the classroom, then this forum will no doubt interest you. iPad

iPads are a versatile, light-weight, portable, multi-media tool that has a huge potential in education – both at school and at home. Wireless technology means that students can access a huge digital repertoire of material for research (Internet), exploration and consolidation of new learning, sharing information, data collection, e-books, story telling and more. The responsive scrolling touch screen makes this tool is ideal for all diverse learners.

Guest educators and teachers include Tara Fagan (BeL facilitator), Tania Coutts (BeL facilitator), Allanah King (iPad/iPod group owner) and Chris McKinlay (Grants Braes School) - will be on hand to answer your questions and share their expertise.

Meanwhile, here's a video from Enabling e-Learning:TeachingBenefits iPads provide for student learning - Part 1 - where teacher Craig Kemp and one of his students from Grant's Braes School talk about the benefits of iPads in the classroom.

Image sourced from Freedigitalphotos.net

Replies

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2012 9:32pm ()

Hi everyone

Great start to the discussion and some really good resources shared so far.  Thanks everyone Smile

LIke Allanah, Tania, Tessa & Catronia I have seen iPads used well to support teaching and learning.  iPads are intuitive to use and are being used in increasing ways to create, connect and collaborate.  

iPads are increasingly being used as a tool to support children with their learning needs.  Recently I have had the opportunity to work with children who have dyslexia.  For this group, it is early days in using their iPads to support their learning but already their tutors are noticing a difference in the detail of the notes that the children are taking in class (using Pages or Notes), being able to sketch ideas and those that have the iPad2 are taking photos of the whiteboards with notes on.  One child reported to me that "The iPad is easier.  I can type and not have to worry about writing ..... I don't have to worry about the shape of the letters, I can just press the key and the iPad helps me get the spelling right"  Wow!  

It is only three weeks since these students started taking their iPads to school.  As this group of children, their teachers and SPELD tutors grow in confidence with the techology, I am sure they will increase the ways the iPad is used including using the voice options.  It will be exciting to see their progress by the end of the term.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2012 10:02pm ()

If you had asked me that question a year and a bit ago, I would have said no, simply because the other tablets on the market didn't match the iPad. However, with the tablets that are available now, I surely think so (they just may not be judged to be as cool).  

I have just completed trialing a tablet for two weeks.  While my preference is for the iPad, the tablet was good to use with good graphics.  Most of the apps that I use on the iPad were available to use, although there were some subtle differences in how these apps worked.  I have been following the reviews of the Nexus 7, which is also looking promising as a tool to support teaching and learning.  I am keen to get my hands on one to see how they compare as well (anyone out there with one to spare Wink).  

Good question Tessa.  I wonder if it is time to change our language from iPads to tablets?

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 11:03pm ()

Today I attended an iPad integration session with Normandale School.  The school, which is part of an ICT PD cluster, hosted an iPad afternoon due to the many requests they have had around their work. 

There was a lot to take in around the teaching and learning at the school, but what I was most impressed by was the student led nature of event.  This student led involvement started from the moment I parked my car.  Two students greeted me and telling me how pleased they were that I wanted to know more about their learning at the school.  

During my tour, I heard from two students, about how laptops, iPads and QR codes were 'getting more kids interested in the library and reading more books' (I still have the Tolkien site on my phone).  Joshua showed me how fotobabble is used to support his maths learning and how his parents can access it at home and as he said, 'just in case he forgets to tell them'.  Students also showed me how Epic Citadel is helping them with their writing.  Others showed me how their maths is extended.  All of this demonstrated by the children.  Students also interviewed me, on camera (of which I am not a fan) just so they can evaluate how worthwhile the event is for their community.  Well done.

The second session involved the leadership team talking about how the iPads were integrated into their school. Strong infrastructure and wireless were essential as was allowing time for teachers and students to explore the potential of the iPad as was cybersafety.

What I like most was that the iPad was only one of many tools that the students used.  Throughout the tour, students and teachers talked about choosing the right right tool for the right job.  Blended eLearning in action.

The beginnings of a Wellington iPad network has sprung from this event so our conversations will continue. Thanks Normandale School for hosting this and for showing us the possibilities of iPads from junior through to senior school.  The beginnings of this network and discussion is on twitter #ipadswhatnext

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2012 1:57pm ()

Came across this blog post 'This is what happens when you deploy android tablets in a classroom', which summarises the report of a grade 5 class that used tablets over one year. Interesting reading and adds to our discussion.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.