Search

iPads in education | An Enabling e-Learning event

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 11 Jul 2012 3:01pm () Replies (23)

Judging from the high interest in discussions within the iPad/iPod user group, iPads in education is a current trend for many schools. Perhaps your school is thinking about purchasing iPads and not sure how to get started. Perhaps you’re personally interested in trialing ways of working with iPads in the classroom, then this forum will no doubt interest you. iPad

iPads are a versatile, light-weight, portable, multi-media tool that has a huge potential in education – both at school and at home. Wireless technology means that students can access a huge digital repertoire of material for research (Internet), exploration and consolidation of new learning, sharing information, data collection, e-books, story telling and more. The responsive scrolling touch screen makes this tool is ideal for all diverse learners.

Guest educators and teachers include Tara Fagan (BeL facilitator), Tania Coutts (BeL facilitator), Allanah King (iPad/iPod group owner) and Chris McKinlay (Grants Braes School) - will be on hand to answer your questions and share their expertise.

Meanwhile, here's a video from Enabling e-Learning:TeachingBenefits iPads provide for student learning - Part 1 - where teacher Craig Kemp and one of his students from Grant's Braes School talk about the benefits of iPads in the classroom.

Image sourced from Freedigitalphotos.net

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2012 10:46am ()

Welcome to week one of the Ipads in Education forum everyone! Thank you Catriona, Tania and Allanah for sharing already.

Tania, popplet looks a like a simple, versatile tool for collecting data for teachers during lessons. I always enjoy hearing about your experiences in classrooms using ipdas – including developments in early childhood.

It has been really useful reading Whangarei’s blog post on critiquing apps - in terms of ways of being or ‘habits of mind’ and ways of knowing – maths and literacy concepts. The template you have shared Tania, will definitely help anyone thinking about trialing or assessing the value and worth of Ipads in their classrooms.

Allanah your blog posts provide effective and innovative examples for anyone considering how they might use different apps throughout the curriculum.  The drawing examples seem particularly powerful for younger learners. Does anyone else have examples they’d love to share?

Thank you so much Catriona for sharing the PDF for parents when considering apps at home. I’m one of those parents, so really appreciate the creative aspect of music and art apps. 

Family on ipad

When I visited my local school, they thought it was novel we had an iPad at home. I’m wondering what the trend is for families/whanau in some communities? Has anyone:

• found out who has access at home? 
    • made deliberate connections about Ipad use between home and school? For example, Homework tasks?
  • Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2012 8:43pm ()

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works...someone has asked me tonight...if this same conversation (minus being app specific) can apply to another tablet device? What do you think?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2012 11:19am ()

Kia ora Craig, I'd love to hear more? Is your school trialing a tablet device at the moment? Any stories to share?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2012 11:17am ()

Here's one school's take on How to Roll Out a 1:1 iPad ProgramWhat I have enjoyed reading most in this blog, is how they staggered the introduction of the devices - where the work ethic or 'dipositions for learning' were a key focus, prior to using the tools. Another important strategy, was to involve the families during the 1:1 roll-out.

The way they staggered the distribution and management of the equipment, reminds me of the Learn/Guide/Protect graph from MyLGP.

What do you think?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 2:58pm ()

Regardless of the platform, ideally, mobile devices enable us to 'walk the talk' of learning ideals such as: personalising learning, modeling equity, diversity and inclusivity as well as cultural responsiveness.

Mobile learning liberates. Watch this. Be prepared to be moved…

How does this speak to you?

Thank you @Camlockie for this link.

People who liked this, were also interested in:

iPad-sharing#3 Apps-to-support-children-with-very-special-needs: Blog post about ipads and special needs by Allanah King

Using the iPad to support differentiated learning: Kura iwa cluster’s reflective summary

Can the iPad reach children that other tech can't reach? Thread in the iPad/iPod user group

scoop.it/t/bel-special-ed: Curated special education and technology links by Greg Carroll

What it LOOKS like: A conversation in eLearning | Teaching about inclusive teaching

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2012 1:13pm ()

Here's another rationalisation for how iPads can be 'engaging and easy to use' for children with autism and Down syndrome - The iPad goes back to school.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2012 11:34am ()

This presentation from Tom Barrett, shows how there's more to the iPad than just apps. These ideas for integrating appropriate applications into learning sequences - can also be used on other mobile tablets with similar or same applications.

Taken from 100 Ways To Use iPads In Your Classroom.

Anyone used these applications with 'good, bad or other' results to share?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.