Search

iPads in education | An Enabling e-Learning event

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 11 Jul 2012 3:01pm () Replies (23)

Judging from the high interest in discussions within the iPad/iPod user group, iPads in education is a current trend for many schools. Perhaps your school is thinking about purchasing iPads and not sure how to get started. Perhaps you’re personally interested in trialing ways of working with iPads in the classroom, then this forum will no doubt interest you. iPad

iPads are a versatile, light-weight, portable, multi-media tool that has a huge potential in education – both at school and at home. Wireless technology means that students can access a huge digital repertoire of material for research (Internet), exploration and consolidation of new learning, sharing information, data collection, e-books, story telling and more. The responsive scrolling touch screen makes this tool is ideal for all diverse learners.

Guest educators and teachers include Tara Fagan (BeL facilitator), Tania Coutts (BeL facilitator), Allanah King (iPad/iPod group owner) and Chris McKinlay (Grants Braes School) - will be on hand to answer your questions and share their expertise.

Meanwhile, here's a video from Enabling e-Learning:TeachingBenefits iPads provide for student learning - Part 1 - where teacher Craig Kemp and one of his students from Grant's Braes School talk about the benefits of iPads in the classroom.

Image sourced from Freedigitalphotos.net

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2012 11:34am ()

This presentation from Tom Barrett, shows how there's more to the iPad than just apps. These ideas for integrating appropriate applications into learning sequences - can also be used on other mobile tablets with similar or same applications.

Taken from 100 Ways To Use iPads In Your Classroom.

Anyone used these applications with 'good, bad or other' results to share?

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2012 2:40pm ()

Thanks for sharing the article, Tessa:-) The more we read about how other areas/countries are using these devices, the more we are encouraged to articulate what it means for us here in NZ.  While I don't doubt the power of the iPad (or similar device) to provide new avenues to think about how we create/consume content, I am a little wary of phrases like:

“One of the main issues we have with kids with autism is frustration about communication,” says Michael Smith, the school’s executive director. “This is a way to communicate that really breaks through that frustration".

I would want to look at special education students' strengths and needs as being, perhaps, only partly explained by such a diagnosis - and that we need to understand what is going on for each students, regardless of a 'label'. For example, someone reading this article might assume that all autistic children struggle with communication, and that an iPad can address this neatly, but of course the spectrum is broad and complex. So, using our professional judgement as to what strengths and needs any student has and designing learning according to that might be a useful approach.Smile

But I don't disagree with the final section of the article:

"Dr. Jennifer Polack-Wahl, a researcher at the University of Mary Washington, has done research suggesting that iOS devices can make a difference in educational results. But the process requires more effort than just buying iPads and putting them in the classrooms.

“I think they’re going to improve [education] if they’re used right,” she says of iOS devices. “If they’re used as a way to placate kids or leave the teacher alone while working with other students, no. If they take time to make a curriculum that uses this, yes. It depends on the teacher to integrate it into the curriculum.”

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2012 1:13pm ()

Here's another rationalisation for how iPads can be 'engaging and easy to use' for children with autism and Down syndrome - The iPad goes back to school.

• Simon Evans (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2012 8:44pm ()

For those of you interested there are two snapshots on Software for Learning focusing on iPads in the classroom.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 2:58pm ()

Regardless of the platform, ideally, mobile devices enable us to 'walk the talk' of learning ideals such as: personalising learning, modeling equity, diversity and inclusivity as well as cultural responsiveness.

Mobile learning liberates. Watch this. Be prepared to be moved…

How does this speak to you?

Thank you @Camlockie for this link.

People who liked this, were also interested in:

iPad-sharing#3 Apps-to-support-children-with-very-special-needs: Blog post about ipads and special needs by Allanah King

Using the iPad to support differentiated learning: Kura iwa cluster’s reflective summary

Can the iPad reach children that other tech can't reach? Thread in the iPad/iPod user group

scoop.it/t/bel-special-ed: Curated special education and technology links by Greg Carroll

What it LOOKS like: A conversation in eLearning | Teaching about inclusive teaching

• stephc (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 10:45am ()

I would be really interesting in communicating with anyone using nearpod.  Think amazing possiblities and feel there may be some power in a sharing of nz curriculum themed presentations.

• stephc (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 9:56am ()

Thanks Tara Fagan for the write up about our #ipadswhatnext session at Normandale School last week.  Was a great turn out with so many engaging with the learners across the school, increasing their own learning as educators.  

Great session afterwards!  Informative and pitched at what is needed now for the next step.  There was in valuable info from Core Facilitators that were there.

I really recommend a face-to-face session with teachers.  The discussions are so empowering and the connections made invaluable. Looking forward to the support group forming and our next meeting.

Will post link to movie made by children about their learning on the day.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2012 1:57pm ()

Came across this blog post 'This is what happens when you deploy android tablets in a classroom', which summarises the report of a grade 5 class that used tablets over one year. Interesting reading and adds to our discussion.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2012 11:17am ()

Here's one school's take on How to Roll Out a 1:1 iPad ProgramWhat I have enjoyed reading most in this blog, is how they staggered the introduction of the devices - where the work ethic or 'dipositions for learning' were a key focus, prior to using the tools. Another important strategy, was to involve the families during the 1:1 roll-out.

The way they staggered the distribution and management of the equipment, reminds me of the Learn/Guide/Protect graph from MyLGP.

What do you think?

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 11:03pm ()

Today I attended an iPad integration session with Normandale School.  The school, which is part of an ICT PD cluster, hosted an iPad afternoon due to the many requests they have had around their work. 

There was a lot to take in around the teaching and learning at the school, but what I was most impressed by was the student led nature of event.  This student led involvement started from the moment I parked my car.  Two students greeted me and telling me how pleased they were that I wanted to know more about their learning at the school.  

During my tour, I heard from two students, about how laptops, iPads and QR codes were 'getting more kids interested in the library and reading more books' (I still have the Tolkien site on my phone).  Joshua showed me how fotobabble is used to support his maths learning and how his parents can access it at home and as he said, 'just in case he forgets to tell them'.  Students also showed me how Epic Citadel is helping them with their writing.  Others showed me how their maths is extended.  All of this demonstrated by the children.  Students also interviewed me, on camera (of which I am not a fan) just so they can evaluate how worthwhile the event is for their community.  Well done.

The second session involved the leadership team talking about how the iPads were integrated into their school. Strong infrastructure and wireless were essential as was allowing time for teachers and students to explore the potential of the iPad as was cybersafety.

What I like most was that the iPad was only one of many tools that the students used.  Throughout the tour, students and teachers talked about choosing the right right tool for the right job.  Blended eLearning in action.

The beginnings of a Wellington iPad network has sprung from this event so our conversations will continue. Thanks Normandale School for hosting this and for showing us the possibilities of iPads from junior through to senior school.  The beginnings of this network and discussion is on twitter #ipadswhatnext

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.