Search

Blogging 101 | An Enabling e-Learning event

Started by Karen Spencer 11 Jul 2012 10:01am () Replies (58)

BlogPerhaps you have seen other teachers doing it. Maybe you just do it for yourself. You've heard people talking about it but not sure how to get started, or how to take the next step.

Blogs offer a highly flexible technology that can be used across the curriculum to provide a window on the classroom, connect learning to family, create authentic audiences for writing, offer a space for reflection...and a myriad of other purposes related to pedagogy and learning areas.

This thread aims to provide stories, examples, tips and advice on how to harness the power of blogging and integrate it with effective learning.

Guest teachers and champion bloggers - Allanah King ('Life is not a race to be first finished blog), Kimberley Rivett (eLearning for Life blog), and Stephanie Thompson (Teaching the Teacher blog) - will be on hand to answer your questions and share their expertise.

Meanwhile, here's a wee video from Enabling e-Learning: Teaching to whet your appetite. Nic Mason, teacher at Russell Street School, says, "teaching the kids something and letting them experiment in their own way" has enabled his students technological capability to develop. He and his students describe the process, some of the tools, and the learning they gain and reflect on, through creating blog posts:

[Image: freedigitalphotos.net]

Replies

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 9:58pm ()

Great story Karen Smile Does it REALLY matter if there is high traffic or not through  blogs and/or, if blogs are private (apart from whānau?). I don't blieve there is a right or wrong way of utilising your blogs. In my mind it comes down to purpose and audience! In this instance, there is absolutely a purpose - evidence gathering towards a Brownie badge (love it!) and the fact that there is some acknowledgement of this via her blog from you (fabulous) more importantly (to me) are the conversations that are being generated through all of this and the impact this is having in her learning (priceless). Thanks for sharing this gem. Cheers

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 9:34pm ()

I have been enjoying the conversation about engaging parents and inviting comments, and I thought I would add a story I shared with the Digital Daze ICTPD cluster the other day:

strange little town image - wordpress My year 3 daughter keeps a Wordpress blog. She calls it 'My Pet Shop - A space to care for little ideas' and it uses the 'strange little town' theme because it's pink with strange little houses along the bottom. She adds photos, comments, recordings using Soundcloud and video. Her main focus at the moment is capturing evidence that goes towards Brownie badges. We have been photographing her feeding the cat a lot;-)

Her blog has no comments (other than occasional ones from me), no hits or traffic (other than from the family), and no subscribers. Why? Because it's private and that is her choice.

My question is: does it matter?

I have had many conversations with teachers about blog traffic/comments/hits - and while this is an important indicator of impact, it isn't the only one. I would hate to see teachers give up because the blog gets no comments.

My daughter gets huge enjoyment from capturing, archiving, recording and reviewing ideas for her blog, and we have rich conversations about it. That's a different kind of impact...and I guess I am arguing for us to take a broad view of why/how we use the technology. There have been several posts in this forum that articulate very clearly the benefits of blogging - and we can't always measure that in traffic hits.

If a blog is shared with families - and there are no comments - is that a problem? How else might it be making an impact - and how might we find out?

Now, back to that Animal World badge...;-)

• Kimberley Rivett (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 9:30pm ()

Great idea with the fridge magnets - will definitely be doing that next year! I made business cards last year and put QR codes on them that had the links to our blog and wiki. The parents and the students loved this! 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2012 10:07am ()

What a great suggestion Stephanie - sometimes it is the easiest and most straight forward approaches which are most successful.

• Stephanie Thompson (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2012 10:37pm ()

One of the easiest ways to get comments on a blog is via the classroom email newsletter. I will often email a parent if a kid is featured on the classblog to let them know about the posting. 

• Deidre Senior (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 8:10pm ()

Hi Catriona - I get the pencils printed at Boutique Print - great service and reasonable.  It is $62 for 100 pencils which I think is a reasonable cost.  The link for them is http://www.boutiqueprint.co.nz/ 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 7:33pm ()

Deidre - what a fantastic idea! Can you share the link for where you get the pencils printed please?

Thanks for sharing.

• Deidre Senior (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 12:10pm ()

I get old fashioned pencils printed with the blog address - this gets the address into the hands of adults at home and means that the address is also often readily available to family.  The pencil becomes a bit of a 'novelty' item for both the child and people at home.

• Merryn Dunmill (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 12:06pm ()

Catriona - I really like the professionalism built into your business card strategy with the job description of Blogger. This is a great way to instill digital citizenship from the get-go and have all treat the task seriously. 

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 12:03pm ()

I sooooooo agree! A fabulous idea and one that I'm getting ready to share out wider as well as link these contacts into this space. Thanks Catriona:-)

I like your idea too Suze re the homework idea!Wink

Join this group to contribute to discussions.