Search

Capturing evidence of student progress and achievement.

• Public
Started by Mary-Anne Murphy 09 Jul 2012 10:41pm () Replies (16)

What technologies/e-tools do you use to capture evidence of student progress and achievement?

How do you use these technologies/e-tools?

How do you "store" the evidence for sharing with whanau?

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 10 Jul 2012 6:45am ()

Kia ora Mary-Anne

Another question might be around the idea of Whānau capturing evidence.  How do we as educators encourage whānau to share what they know about their children?  Some of our families have cameras/phones to capture evidence/information via video, photographs, audio recordings etc.  

What might this evidence include?  

Personal interests/Interactive learning moments/Snippets showing aroha, manaaki.../caring for family pets/feeding manuhiri/caring for younger siblings/helping Nanny in the garden/collecting kaimoana

How could this evidence of progress/achievement be shared with teachers of the child?  

How could this information be shared within the class environment?

How might a teacher be culturally responsive to the information shared?  

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 10 Jul 2012 6:52pm ()

I often video students reading or if we have learnt something new in maths I video what the children are doing then have them explain what they have done. I also take a photos of students work expecially when they have shown or achieved a learning intention.  I put these onto our class blog or if you have them students e portfilos. In the class we also have a wall of success where students work is copied and displayed. 

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 10 Jul 2012 7:38pm ()

Thanks for your sharing Fiona. Cool

What do you use to video (phone/flip cam, etc?).

To what extent do you find this a manageable process?

Are the students involved in videoing and storing their videos?

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 7:39am ()

I use a flip video. they are very easy to use. I teach 5 year olds, I teach them to use the video then they video each other reading and at times I have them use it to capture other learning . I up load the videos to the class blog as this is easier.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 8:22am ()

Yes, Flip videos are great for this. It is wonderful to hear your 5 year olds are actively involved in the assessment process. Would you be willing to place a hyperlink to your class blog for others to see how this could work for them?

• Heath sawyer (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 11:29am ()

Kia Ora Koutou,

Group members may find this video of use. I've been working with Early Childhood and Junior School teachers in the use of mlearning and capturing evidence through smart devices. Here's a video I produced about evernote.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 3:04pm ()

Kia ora Heath,

Many thanks for this resource. An example of a great tool that can be used on both laptops and mobile devices. The ability to share the information instantly with the parents is a powerful aspect of the tool.

Appreciate your sharing; thank you.

• liz Stevenson (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 3:34pm ()

Agreed Mary-Anne! Really useful examples of Evernote Heath and beautifully put together. Are you still  offering some taster sessions to schools in the Auckland and Central North regions?

• Heath sawyer (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 4:18pm ()

Hi Liz,

The tasters are on hold for now. Just awaiting to see if MyPortfolio development stage 2 will be given the go ahead for the next year.

• Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2012 3:57pm ()

I find that the way I collect evidence the most is by camera or video, mainly because my cellphone is always within easy reach. Sharing these on our blog is my next step, and I always try to put it into context by writing about it, although the students don't mind either way. My next step is encouraging students to collect this evidence themselves, and so far there are a couple who happily get their cellphones out and film class activities - usually with practical demonstrations in science (year 11)- and then they put them on my laptop afterward.  

On another topic - I find evernote great for my lists and things to remember, and it syncs between my phone and computer. It also plays nicely with an app called Skitch which I can use to annotate my pics easily.

Rebecca

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2012 9:35am ()

Many thanks for your contribution to this discussion Rebecca. 

Yes, it is about seeking and using tools that allow for seamless integration into our programmes. Sometimes that might mean changing things slightly so we can activate their use more effectively.

Having students actively involved in the assessment process is another important aspect which you have spoken about. It engenders a greater sense of purpose for the students, raised awareness of next-steps upon reflection and also allows for peer assessment from which they can also learn. 

Making explicit the connections between the evidence your students are collating and next-step learning for themselves and their peers is also important because it takes the process from the physical techy process of taking the videos towards making explicit links with thinking about their learning. It would be interesting to ask the students the question "How do you see this information being useful for your own and others learning?"

Thanks also for the info about Evernote; so helpful for others. Cool

Mary-Anne :)

• Shane Ngatai (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2012 9:55am ()

Thought I would share this inquiry based approach: Here at Rhode Street School we have been using our low frequency fm radio station (88.3fm) to record student voice about their learning and transmitting these sound-bites to our wider school community (up to 5 kms) for the past six years. With the advent and pending connection to UFBIS we will be able to stream live and podcast as well. 

Students own their learning and run the radio station with minimal adult supervision. They programme the playlist and incorporate their learning stories around the music they are interested in. 

Tuakana teina models assist our younger students with recording and posting their stories and a succession programme has ensured that we are sustainable with our processes. 

Students recount their learning experiences, edit and peer-reflect on what they create before it is aired. Whanau are sent txt messages to notify them when the sound-bite is being played on air (resulting in some whanau stopping work and getting workmates to listen as well) and if requested the files are emailed to whanau.

Students use inquiry methodologies to create scenerios for researching and presenting their sound-bites including our own Waka Matauranga model. 

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2012 1:01pm ()

Hi Shane,

Lovely to catch up with your mahi in cyber-space. 

The connection to UFBIS will indeed take things to a new level for your children and whanau in terms of streaming to a wider audience. What wonderful learning that will be for the children when that eventuates, as they will then need to consider who their wider audience might be, how to capture that audience, etc, etc.

Point England in Auckland (as I'm sure you are aware) have been podcasting and uploading these to itunes, making them free for whanau to access. 

Tuakeina teina models are such beautiful ways of working, and it is often poetry alone just watching the children interact. 

The recent learning your students have done around healthy eating was indeed exemplary in showing authentic, relevant and holistic inquiry. 

The organic way 'assessment for learning' opportunities evolve and can be captured from these learning experiences truely exemplifies wholistic learning.

Shane, are you open to people contacting you to learn more about what you are doing at Rhode Street School?

Thanks for your sharing Cool

Mary-Anne

• Shane Ngatai (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2012 2:49pm ()

Hi Mary-Anne

Rhode Street School is always open to dialogue with anyone to share and learn from each other about what is happening in our learning communities. Please feel free to contact the school directly if you wish to visit us physically (as the many schools and agencies have over the past six years) or on-line via our Facebook Group.

The Point England model is something I have seen first-hand and have investigated the possibility of setting up a similar model here but are leaning more towards providing our own wireless network in partnership with a telco in the near future that will reach our local community.

Another innovative model we have been using for the past five years is our Phone Home Programme. Each teacher has a cell phone that they give to students in their care to phone home good news about their learning journeys. Over 400 calls go out each week from our classrooms. Read the research project undertaken in late 2009 about this programme.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2012 3:39pm ()

Hi again Shane.

Many thanks for that further sharing: Rhode Street school is certainly "Rocking" by the sounds of things.

To what extent have you explored the sharing of student learning and achievements from the parent perspective eg: parents texting or emailing a video, voice recording or photo of their child learning something new at home, mastering a skill, or achieving something on the sports field etc.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.