Search

e-Books: how does your school manage them?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 02 Jul 2012 10:51am () Replies (5)

I am posting this on behalf of a school that is exploring different ways to provide e-books for its students, via an online platform in their school library.

They are wondering about:

• different systems
  • how it might work
  • where to start setting it up

Can you help? A few notes or pointers based on how you help your students access e-books in your school would be really appreciated:-)

Replies

• Jo Flavell (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 10:59am ()

Hi there Karen,

I too am interested in this.  We have just got a 'cow' in the school and I am wanting 'easy' ideas for those beginning :)  So I am very interested in what people will have to contribute to this post :)

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 11:49am ()

Hi there

I think the best place to ask this question might be the Schoollib mailing list available from this page. It's easy to subscribe to, and you'll find lots of help from experienced school librarians from all around NZ - it's a very active group. You don't have to be a librarian to belong (I'm not). I've subscribed to this list for a while and great discussions go on there, including the eBook situation and the ins and outs of this. It's complex, and as our school isn't quite ready for it, I've filed messages away for now.

It's also worth asking your local National Library advisor - they are right up with what's happening in this area. I know they have also held seminars about how eBooks might work in schools and the differences between eBook types and platforms.

• Michelle Simms (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 11:57am ()

Hi Karen,

Another fantastic site is https://nzert.wikispaces.com/School+Library+Support.  It is a NZ wiki set up by a school librarian and it has lots of resources. 

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 1:32pm ()

Thanks for your responses, everyone - super fast!Cool

I have, like yourselves, also found the National Library a really helpful resource, with this page being a great one-stop shop to get started: 

http://schools.natlib.govt.nz/21st-century-literacy-inquiry/sources-resources/e-books-and-issues

...and now I think of it, there have been a couple of discussions on this in the MLE Reference Group a while back:

Any other schools willing to briefly share how they manage providing e-books to their students?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.