Search

Integrating iPads into the maths programme

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 11 Jun 2012 11:07pm () Replies (30)

I am planning to take a workshop in the holidays that highlights the use of iPads within the maths programme.

I am very keen to hear from all of you about what is working well, at what levels and why?  

I myself have had recent success with the show me app.  Students will use this app to reconsolidate learning independently by recording their WALT and strategies used to achieve success.  

It is an excellent way to gather evidennce of learning through the students writing, retell being written and steps verbally recorded, as well as photos taken and recorded if materials are used to problem solve.  This can then be emailed to the teacher or uploaded to the class blog page. 

I look forward to you sharing some of your success stories of what apps are being used within your maths programme.

Replies

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 10:33am ()

I would recommend Educreations over Showme... with Educreations you can create more than one page in your video, so has more potential fo students to add more content/detail. Also easier to move images around and not locked as in Showme.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 09 Jul 2012 12:45pm ()

we're trialing Edmodo with one Y7/8 class. The teacher posted some assignments and discussion topics, to test students entusiasm and engagement in utilising these different tools, and was pleasantly surprised by their response. The students immediately began posting responses to questions and started online discussions with other class mates - all done after school at home. The teacher even joined in responding to questions, at home and even had students asking questions on a math assignment, which wasn't part of the online topics.....

This has sparked the teachers enthusiasm to explore what else or other methods an online environment can be used in school and at home.

It's early days - but the initial response looks promising.....

Also I would recommend "Interactive Teaching" - promoting better learning using peer instruction and just-in-time teaching - DVD by Eric Mazur. very interesting an informative... i

Join this group to contribute to discussions.