Search

Integrating iPads into the maths programme

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 11 Jun 2012 11:07pm () Replies (30)

I am planning to take a workshop in the holidays that highlights the use of iPads within the maths programme.

I am very keen to hear from all of you about what is working well, at what levels and why?  

I myself have had recent success with the show me app.  Students will use this app to reconsolidate learning independently by recording their WALT and strategies used to achieve success.  

It is an excellent way to gather evidennce of learning through the students writing, retell being written and steps verbally recorded, as well as photos taken and recorded if materials are used to problem solve.  This can then be emailed to the teacher or uploaded to the class blog page. 

I look forward to you sharing some of your success stories of what apps are being used within your maths programme.

Replies

• Bruce Ellison (View all users posts) 06 Jul 2012 9:57pm ()

I too started with Show Me until someone introduced me to Explain Everything. I like how you can upload directly to youtube.

• Bruce Ellison (View all users posts) 06 Jul 2012 10:07pm ()

Nothing grates the person responsible for the ICT budget than seeing an iPad being used in a similar way to the oldfashioned maths games in the games cupboard. I read an article a while back by Getty I think who said that "I'm petrified that we'll apply new technology to old pedagogy".

Jasmine I like your idea of getting your children to record/retell their strategies/learning via show me. I have used Show Me and Explain Everything to create mini tutorials which children use as teaching guides in their maths rotations (Year 7/8 class). My role as teacher is now to support them as they practice these new skills and conduct regular testing to ensure that children's learning is targeted exactly at their needs. I was motivated by Khan Academy guys 'flipping the classroom'.

I'm going to use your idea of getting the children to create the tutorials. Good luck for your presentation.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.