Search

Integrating iPads into the maths programme

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 11 Jun 2012 11:07pm () Replies (30)

I am planning to take a workshop in the holidays that highlights the use of iPads within the maths programme.

I am very keen to hear from all of you about what is working well, at what levels and why?  

I myself have had recent success with the show me app.  Students will use this app to reconsolidate learning independently by recording their WALT and strategies used to achieve success.  

It is an excellent way to gather evidennce of learning through the students writing, retell being written and steps verbally recorded, as well as photos taken and recorded if materials are used to problem solve.  This can then be emailed to the teacher or uploaded to the class blog page. 

I look forward to you sharing some of your success stories of what apps are being used within your maths programme.

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 9:34pm ()

Hi Jasmine -

If you bought the covers from a reputable place, and they are less than a year old, take them back!  We had a few STM skinny covers replaced because the latch material had peeled away.  Thats a manufacturing fault, even with good use!

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 9:41pm ()

I agree with Allanah, way too many of the Math apps out there are skill and drill, with not much else to offer.  The math apps I use in the classroom (Year 2 students) that I use all the time are 100s Board, Tens Frame, 1-20 and Numbers 0-9.  (Disclaimer - I made all of these apps myself!)  

The reason I find them so useful is that I can teach with these apps, and then have students buddy up and go away with an iPad to practice what we have been doing together on the mat.  All of these apps are open ended teaching and learning tools, rather than games.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.