Search

Integrating iPads into the maths programme

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 11 Jun 2012 11:07pm () Replies (30)

I am planning to take a workshop in the holidays that highlights the use of iPads within the maths programme.

I am very keen to hear from all of you about what is working well, at what levels and why?  

I myself have had recent success with the show me app.  Students will use this app to reconsolidate learning independently by recording their WALT and strategies used to achieve success.  

It is an excellent way to gather evidennce of learning through the students writing, retell being written and steps verbally recorded, as well as photos taken and recorded if materials are used to problem solve.  This can then be emailed to the teacher or uploaded to the class blog page. 

I look forward to you sharing some of your success stories of what apps are being used within your maths programme.

Replies

• Leah (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2014 9:27pm ()

Wow - I am doing an inquiry this year and it's on the same topic -  How can digital tools improve the numeracy achievement levels of my target students? 

Thanks for the great ideas on apps for the ipad. I have year 2 students - are there any MUST HAVE apps?? I am new to the ipad using! Thanks!

• Abbie (View all users posts) 11 Mar 2014 4:52pm ()

Hyperblast... without a doubt a class favourite. It is interactive, a genuine gaming experience It was my basic facts programme last year and I saw good results (I teach year 2/3). Math Bingo is also fantastic (although it is more 'worksheet like'. The kids like it because they can earn bingo bugs). 

Math zoom is good for developing speed and familiarity with number lines (switch the needle on to make it recall, off for strategy).

• Amy Millar (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 6:04pm ()

My year 7/8s enjoyed chook fractions.

It has different levels and different types of fractions.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 10:28am ()

Hi all,

I really like popplet for maths as it allows you to insert photos of the problem or equipment, create flows of problem solving, sort the popples and you can have multiple people in the one popplet (if you sign up for the web version) It is available on web or as an app. 

Here is how I used it to show working in a maths workshop recently.

I photographed the problem and then showed my working in the popples underneath.

popplet in maths

• Cathiesten (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 9:17pm ()

Maths machine, maths slide (various versions for the number elements).  though not an app, teacher tools website is very useful.  Will your presentation be available to those at a distance?  My MST inquiry this year is on how digital tools can enhance accelerated learning in maths and any resources to augment this would be most welcome! 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 9:40pm ()

It's not finished yet but here is what I have got so far.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/maths-presentation

I only have an hour so will have to rip along. Because people will be coming together from a variety of schools some will have some of the apps on their iPads so hopefully there will be enough to go round. Otherwise it might be more of a 'show and tell' kind of thing. 

• Hilary Rodley (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2014 11:24am ()

Hi Cathiesten, my MST inquiry is on much the same idea, would be great to catch up with you!

In the meantime, another app I would throw in the mix would be "Make 20"; it's great for number bonds recall.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 5:38pm ()

Can I also recommend 'double dipping' into a similar thread, Maths apps from the e-Learning in Primary Mathematics group - for more top tips from other interested community members. Awesome! Smile

• Mandy Dempsey (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 4:55pm ()

Hi Allanah,

Have you seen futaba?

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/futaba-classroom-games-for/id487979995?mt=8

What I like about this app is the ability for the kids to create their own games to reinforce their understanding. Can also have up to 4 players.

Simple concept but has potential to be put to good use.  

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 11:19pm ()

I have used Tiny Tap which is free but doesn't have the multiplayer aspect which would be very cool.

• Louise (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2014 8:13am ()

I think Khan academy would be a good one To show how someone else's explanation is sometimes more effective than the teachers. Also virtual manipulatives for fractions.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2014 10:05pm ()

I am about to share a iPad workshop focussed on numeracy resources on an iPad for primary teachers. I thought I would ask if people had any particular favourites.

I know there are hundreds of 'kill and drill' type apps but I am looking for ones that will adapt for learners and ones where you don't have to start at the bottom each time you start the app, hopefully ones that are adaptive or that the teacher can adapt. 

So far I have got

• Show Me
    • Explain Everything
    • The Maths Slide Series
    • I Can Count Money NZ
    • Sakura Quick Math
    • Math Tappers- Number Find
    • Multi-touch math
    • Motion Math
    • Hundred Board
    • Tens Frame
    • Number Pieces

What else do you think could be in my presentation??????

• Louise Tredinnick (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2012 9:29pm ()

Jasmine I've also started using 'Show me' I record a teaching strategy before I teach it and then after I've taught the lesson it's available for consoldating by the group.  It's an even better idea of yours to get the students to demonstrate their understanding.  Hmm I might try it out to record a Gloss Test as it's hard to set time aside during class time to work through a Gloss assessment.  That way I could analyse it when I have quiet down time but yet to try out this idea.

• Bevan James (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2012 9:53pm ()

I have been trialling Show Me myself and plan to roll it out to my class this term as I now have 5 ipads in my class. I just need to get past some proxy issues at school. I've set up a class account and have made a link on my class 2 clicks site. I reckon we can build a great little library of our own tutorials and the children will be able to link it to their online portfolios to show parents ...

As I'm also moving towards a flipped style classroom I'm going to make some showme's to get the children thinking before we do class learning - might be more meaningful (for a while anyway) to hear my voice rather than just another randome youtube vid.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2012 9:41pm ()

I agree with Allanah, way too many of the Math apps out there are skill and drill, with not much else to offer.  The math apps I use in the classroom (Year 2 students) that I use all the time are 100s Board, Tens Frame, 1-20 and Numbers 0-9.  (Disclaimer - I made all of these apps myself!)  

The reason I find them so useful is that I can teach with these apps, and then have students buddy up and go away with an iPad to practice what we have been doing together on the mat.  All of these apps are open ended teaching and learning tools, rather than games.

• Bruce Ellison (View all users posts) 06 Jul 2012 10:07pm ()

Nothing grates the person responsible for the ICT budget than seeing an iPad being used in a similar way to the oldfashioned maths games in the games cupboard. I read an article a while back by Getty I think who said that "I'm petrified that we'll apply new technology to old pedagogy".

Jasmine I like your idea of getting your children to record/retell their strategies/learning via show me. I have used Show Me and Explain Everything to create mini tutorials which children use as teaching guides in their maths rotations (Year 7/8 class). My role as teacher is now to support them as they practice these new skills and conduct regular testing to ensure that children's learning is targeted exactly at their needs. I was motivated by Khan Academy guys 'flipping the classroom'.

I'm going to use your idea of getting the children to create the tutorials. Good luck for your presentation.

• Jasmine Rolton (View all users posts) 08 Jul 2012 7:41pm ()
    Thanks Bruce for sharing your experience with Explain Everything - I will investigate this app and have a play these hoildays. 

Also "Flipping the classroom"  this is the second time tonight I have read this title - I will look into this concept. 

Presentation went well thank you - you can check it out if your keen... 
  • Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 09 Jul 2012 10:27am ()

Hi Jasmine, thank you for sharing your presentaton material, very useful. 'Flipping the classroom' is intriguing me at the moment as well - especially how learning between home/school can be transformed through the use of technologies. 

There is a rich thread already in the VLN, Do you flip your classroom?! which has a great infographic to explain this term as well.

Last week I viewed this video from Steven Wheeler on Learning in a digital age - Myth and reality, where he also talks about flipping the classroom, by making connections between home/school.

I wonder how this might influence the tasks we set for homework? What do you think?

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 09 Jul 2012 12:45pm ()

we're trialing Edmodo with one Y7/8 class. The teacher posted some assignments and discussion topics, to test students entusiasm and engagement in utilising these different tools, and was pleasantly surprised by their response. The students immediately began posting responses to questions and started online discussions with other class mates - all done after school at home. The teacher even joined in responding to questions, at home and even had students asking questions on a math assignment, which wasn't part of the online topics.....

This has sparked the teachers enthusiasm to explore what else or other methods an online environment can be used in school and at home.

It's early days - but the initial response looks promising.....

Also I would recommend "Interactive Teaching" - promoting better learning using peer instruction and just-in-time teaching - DVD by Eric Mazur. very interesting an informative... i

Join this group to contribute to discussions.