Search

Te Wiki o te Reo Māori

Started by Tania 10 Jun 2012 11:38am () Replies (21)

The dates for Te Wiki o te Reo Māori/Māori Language Week are 23-29 July. This year, the theme is -Arohatia te Reo, which means 'to cherish the language.'

I have been reflecting on the following questions and would love to share some ideas.

How do you 'cherish the language' in your daily practice?

How do you encourage our tamariki to cherish the language?

How can we utilise ICT to support us in cherishing the language?

If you are wanting resources to support Te Wiki o te Reo Māori, there are FREE resources available through the Korero Māori Website.  There are also lots of ideas on the Maōri Language Week page.

Replies

• Tania (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2012 11:41am ()

Reomations is a FANTASTIC resource that I use in my teaching practice to support my learning and to motivate children to create their own 'reomations' using te reo.  We have started our 'mihi' and are using kidpix to create our own digital mihi.  Watch this space...

• Ronald Nolan (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2012 4:02pm ()

Nga mihi maioha kia koe Tania! We have been using He Reo Tupu, He Reo Ora daily since the start of this year and our tamariki love everything about it.

As a bilingual unit in a mainstrem setting, we have a broad range of abilities regarding Te Reo, from Kohanga Reo tamariki to theose who are learning Te Reo for the first time. However, we have a firm committment towards enhancing the Reo of all our tamariki. We began each day with Karakia as a whanau with our tamariki leading karakia, waiata, whakatauki, pepeha and panui. As we have 6 different year groups, there is a clear progression in content and context.

As we all know, the use IT tools in class is having a huge impact upon teaching and learning and the reomations have been really successful.

We have also been using the 'Te Arapu Maori' provided by HUIA publishing and have decided to create a video that we hopefully will post on Youtube and enter this into the local Digiawards this year.

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2012 4:54pm ()

Kia ora Tania kōrua ko Ronald. All schools I am working in are using He Reo Tupu, He Reo Ora and are loving it. It's interesting to hear all the extra opportunities this resource has created. I have just introduced Animoto to create a short mihi. I would like to see examples of your kidpix mahi in action Tania. These e-learning tools are creating so many possibilities for te reo Māori. 

All schools (english-medium) I am working in see the importance of integrating te reo and the teachers and students want to use it more conversationallly. So like you Ronald the use of whakataukī, kīwaha etc are all perfect for this.

Finally I have used the Kōrero Māori site a lot and get onto those free resources people before they go.

• Tania (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2012 7:54pm ()

Kia Ora Ronald and Anaru - Thanks for sharing your comments.  Ronald - I look forward to seeing your You Tube video once created.  Make sure you put a link to it from the VLN so we can all learn from your students.  Would 1 of your classes be interested in skyping with a class in Whangarei to share their karakia, waiata, whakatauki and pepeha.  It would be great to share their skills and knowledge especially with Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori coming upLaughing Anaru - Animoto is a great tool and fantastic idea to use this to create mihi.  I am hoping to gain permissions from whānau of the students I worked with so I am able to publish their kidpix mahi online.  Watch this space!  I am currently putting together a 'digital kit' for Māori Language Week and will invite you in.  

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2012 12:18pm ()

Ka pai!  Check out the resources - available free for a limited time http://www.korero.maori.nz/resources/shop.html

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2012 5:26pm ()

Have just sent away for some of these. Thanks for the tip :-)

• Brett Cribb (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2012 4:43pm ()

Wōu, ngā mihi nui ki a koutou katoa, koutou i koha nei i ō koutou huatau ki tēnei whenu kōrero mō tō tātou reo. Kātahi nā te tangata ko tērā Ronald Nolan, koia kei a ia mō te whakaako tamariki, ā, koia kei a ia hoki mō ngā āhuatanga hākinakina...lol.

For the past few years teaching within the classroom 'cherishing our language' was a daily occurance and a notion that we pushed within our localised curriculum. We as a whānau did what we could to nurture, develop and instill Te Reo within our tamariki with ranges of ability & knoweldge of Te Reo Māori. Aligning day to day classroom practices to Tikanga Māori gave us direction which similar to Ron started the day with 'Ngā Āhuatanga o te Paepae'. this was aspects such as Tauparapara, Mihimihi, Pepeha, Waiata, Whakatauki, Ngā āhuatanga o te kura, he mihi whakatepe. Using alot of games which we mainly developed through 'Ngā Mahi a Tāne Rore' and then transferred these into the classroom. Another strategy we found was using 'Pāngarau' as the main tool to develop vocab along with strategies as we know not only our tamariki but as soon as we add competition to an activity the kids engage and before they know it are using and testing their own ability within Te Reo Māori.

How do you encourage our tamariki to cherish the language?

We found that to engage our tamariki within Te Reo we first needed to look at a basic history of Te Reo Māori and it's challenges over the past decades along with connecting these kōrero to their own whānau, hapū, marae or Iwi kōrero. Once tamariki could connect with their own reo/tikanga they had a sense of ownership and possibly felt as a link in the chain is to revitalising Te Reo within their own whānau thus ensuring they were then cherising Te Reo Māori. 

ICT can engage out tamariki to explore, develop and unpack our language. There is alot of rauemi on the world wide web for Te Reo Māori, have a look at my blog below and if you have any that i have missed then add away. The biggest tool that we utilised within the classroom in terms of IT was Māori Television, Ipukarea and also the most important Papa Kupu. We firstly needed to develop our curriculum more to better cater for the e-learning within our setting and with that came the PD around staff and whānau. Awesome journey to be on board with.  

/blog/view/688679/ng-whrangi-ipurangi-hei-whina-i-ng-kaiako-mori--websites-that-can-support-mori-medium-teachers

I guess we need to ensure that for our tamariki to 'cherish our language' we firstly need to model and nurture our own ability/knowledge within te Reo Māori. Hei whakatepe ake...Ko te reo kia tika, ko te reo kia rere, ko te reo kia kounga, ko te reo kia Māori.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2012 5:33pm ()

While Janelle Riki was working as a Digi Advisor, she worked on the development of a Māori catalogue of Digistore resources. This showcases some excellent resources written in Māori that could be used with students. The catalogue, a presentation on Māori digital resources we put together as part of an online webinar, and a host of useful Māori links that Janelle has gathered into Delicious stacks are all available on the Digistore wiki:

http://digistore.wikispaces.com/Maori+related+content

Join this group to contribute to discussions.