Search

Network for Learning and Ultra-fast Broadband | 'Learning without limits' seminar series

UFBIS seminar logo

The Ministry of Education Ultra-fast Broadband in Schools (UFBiS) programme is running Learning without Limits seminars to help you understand the potential of the Network for Learning.

Starting from 23 July, the seminars will be held in 24 locations around New Zealand over eight weeks.

For full details and to register, go to Enabling e-Learning: http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Ministry-initiatives/Getting-connected2/Learning-without-Limits-seminars

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 19 Oct 2012 4:21pm ()

Kia ora koutou,

Learning without Limits

Just to let you now that the Ministry of Education Learning without Limits seminars are now online along with all the presentation material.

The complete seminar, presented by Marg McLeod and Howard Baldwin from the Ministry’s Ultra-fast Broadband in Schools (UFBiS) Change Management team, has been edited into the series of video clips available on the Learning without Limits page of Enabling e-Learning. You can view the video clips in your own time and use the material with your staff or community. 

The powerpoint slides, school videos and other resource materials are also available for you to download. 

Network for Learning N4L logo Network for Learning

In addition, the Network for Learning website was launched at ULearn12, and can be viewed here: http://www.n4l.co.nz/. Check out their Term 4 competition that invites schools to share how the web is their treasure chest - there's an iPad 2 and an iTunes voucher up for grabs! 

• Rachel Whalley (View all users posts) 11 Sep 2012 1:46pm ()

Hi guys just to let you know that if you are unable to make the sessions you can hook into a Learning Without Limits Video Conference/ Webinar next week. Please register if you are interest, these will only go ahead if people are wanting to participate. For more info and to register.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2012 8:36pm ()

Thanks, Tessa.

The seminars keep rolling out, most recently in Auckland. As Tessa points out, for those of you unable to make your local session, the handouts are available on Enabling e-Learning and I am attaching the powerpoint here that has been sent to all delegates. 

'Learning without limits' seminar series - Powerpoint

Final versions of handouts, presentations and videos are scheduled to be on TKI towards the end of the series.

Recent tweets have been tagged #learningwithoutlimits.

Are the sessions answering schools' queries?

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 12:08pm ()

I am with you Sean. I will be honest - UFB, SNUP, LMSs and SMSs all exist already. Lots of resources via TKI exist already. How is N4L going to to change how I facilitate teaching and learning...if at all. I am in a school with UFB, wich has been SNUPed, we have an established SMS and LMS and I ustilise a wide range of ministry funded online resorces and services ( which I absolutely appreciate) already. What more will the N4L offer and why would I pay for it? I am off to the seminar in Epsom on Monday and hope theses queries will be answered....

Cheers

Claire

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2012 4:12pm ()

I was lucky enough to attend the Learning without Limits seminar on Monday in Tauranga. What particularly interested me, were the videos shared of how schools are maximising the potential of Ultra-fast broadband - beyond faster download and upload speeds.

Learning without Limits seminar

I also thought the Developing an eProfile for your school.pdf was extremely useful place to start for schools - to help plot current e-capability. More on this resource (and others) can be found @ http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Ministry-initiatives/Getting-connected2/Learning-without-Limits-seminars#resources

On an aside, one teacher had downloaded the seminar resources onto her iPad (prior to the seminar) and was using the Notability app to take notes over the presentation slides - with her Stylus pen. 

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2012 1:15pm ()

HI all,

Are you exploring what the 'value proposition' of UFB might be in your school?

Here are a couple of videos that might be useful to get conversation started. A case study story from the Crown Fibre Holdings website....

...and, from Enabling e-Learning on TKI, 'Benefits of ultra-fast broadband' from St Hilda's Collegiate:

Given faster and more reliable download/upload, and greater bandwidth, what might be possible for your learners?

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2012 10:39am ()

Just a quick note to those schools in Invercargill, Dunedin and Cromwell - there are still a few places available at your seminars so follow this link to register: http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Ministry-initiatives/Getting-connected2/Learning-without-Limits-seminars

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2012 12:39pm ()

Thanks for sharing these questions, Sean and Michael. This thread is one way in which the organisers hope to be able to tailor their seminars and address issues arising from across the country, so it's good that you raised them here Laughing

Anyone else have other questions top of mind, or agree with those already raised?

And for those who have already attended seminars this week, if you have comments or notes to share that would be great:-)

• Sean Lyons (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 10:39am ()

Hello,

I'm interested to know in what way the N4L constitues a change that underpins sucessful learning outcomes as opposed to an infrastructure upgrade.

Sean.

• Michael Boddy (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2012 10:31am ()

Hi Karen - good question. I am wondering how much it is going to cost per month and whether or not we will be able to use our current ISP?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.