Search

Building reflective practice: 30 day challenge

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 22 May 2012 1:37pm () Replies (8)

Welcome to the first Leadership 30 Day Challenge or wero for the months of May/June 2012. This challenge sits alongside the up-coming Online Webinar: Building reflective practice with Greg Carroll, 30 May.

If you're up for the challenge, then like last time, there are 3 parts to complete.

image1. Let us know a little bit about yourself and your context.

image2. Contribute idea/s, resources, examples that can help others make informed decisions about which e-learning tools can help professionals reflect on their practice.

image3. Invite others to join and add ideas of their own

GOAL: By the end of the 30 days, we would have collated 30 top tips (or more) that can give others ideas on ways to use technologies to reflect on their practice.

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 23 May 2012 11:06am ()
  • Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 31 May 2012 9:26am ()

Even vampires reflect!
    They plan, evaluate, implement, discard, plot, action .... and so does everyone in a school.  You can't survive and do your job remotely well if you don't.  
    So what is reflective practice?  It is a bit of a buzz-word at the moment .... What does it mean for you?
    I think it is about formalising the things we often do on the fly, all day every day.  It is basing what you do and your decision making practices on active and critical thinking.  Finding proof you are not simply blowing around in the wind, or being sucked into hype and marketing pitches.  Asking yourself - will this make a difference to kids learning? To my practice?

Do you agree? 

• Stephen Soutar (View all users posts) 31 May 2012 9:53am ()

Greg

We are just beginning to formailse our teaching as inquiry which seems exactly like reflective practice but with a focus on the classroom.  However, I think reflective practice can be formal or informal.  it can be something deliberately planned or reflecting on the go.  The difference is the planning e.g. you may be doing a presentation or dealing with conflict resolution and something goes wrong.  In the moment you may make a mental note to adjust that for future reference.  I think we all do that at many times of the day.  formalising it is giving more time to be reflective, accessing research or data and recording this as evidence.

As a principal  I expect some formalised reflection so I can see what the teachers thinking is based on, this gives me an indication if they are on the right track or require coaching.

• Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 31 May 2012 10:48am ()

yup - agreed ....

It is a matter of choosing one small trail to follow as an indicator of the learning and thinking that is happening all the time. Trying to get a picture/share a picture of what will never be the same in your practice as a result of the learning and thinking you have been doing. 

Can be captured in many different ways too .... keep it as simple as you can I reckon.  I have had staff using inspiration diagrammes, word docs, diaries ... full range of things.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2012 5:15pm ()

The powerpoint from Greg's webinar is full of great ideas for being a reflective leader. View the webinar

• Anne Sturgess (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2012 8:01pm ()

Wikispaces is a great place to keep and share information about my practice. Agree with Greg - I'm also currently using Inspiration Maps a lot for organising my ideas around a central inquiry theme. It's software for iPads but I'm sure other similar apps are available for other devices. Meanwhile, Inspiration suits my thinking style and I can add to and amend content easily and I can email it to my PC (although it's no longer interactive there). Dropbox is great for storing resources and documents that I want to share with others and I'm getting a lot of use from Evernote, where I write task lists, quotes, ideas for blogs, etc.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2012 5:40pm ()

I am using Google Spreadsheets to plan and then reflect on my teaching practice for my online teaching role. I find capturing my reflections alongside my planned activities helps me to refine continually and not to forget those thoughts I have during lessons about what I should change. I also use my professional blog to put my thoughts out there and to engage with others in discussion. Finally, I've started joining in with a lot of VLN discussions around pedagogy which also a place to share and reflect.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.