Search

iPads in the senior school

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 12 May 2012 12:25pm () Replies (13)

How successfully are people integrating iPads into their daily literacy and numeracy programmes in the senior school?  I would love to hear about what apps / programmes are user friendly and working well.  I have 2 iPads in a Year 5-6 class and have really just explored using it as a games activity, taking lexile quizzes and tests, viewing and commenting on blogs.  I want to lift the authentic use of the iPad within my daily programmes and have begun investigating the use of Voice Thread and iMovie, whiteboard for reflections etc.  My stumbling block at the moment is sharing photo / video footage from other devices to the iPad.  Looking forward to hearing some inspiring senior school stories.

Replies

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 1:22pm ()

Hi Jasmine,

I run a weekly tv show with a group of senior students at Opoho school. On a Friday they run a discovery programme with lots of activities around an inquiry topic. My team (which varies each week) film the activities and interview students, teachers and volunteers using iMovie on the iPad, it is edited and put together completely by the students and then copied to the school server using the files connect app. Senior classes then watch it the Friday assembly and then other classes get to see it over the following week.

We are also exploring the use of toontastic, 123d sculpt, 123d make, and minecraft  pocket edition during this time as well.

• Jasmine Rolton (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 7:04pm ()

Thank you for sharing this information - I have had a news presenter approach in mind since term 1 but have not put a plan in place as yet - we have a discovery time experience every second Monday and you have given me an idea...to change my photographer using a camera to using the iPad.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 3:34pm ()

I use Book Creator almost every day. Also Puppet Pals cos it so versatile and can be done on the move. I only have one iPad so have to make it work as best I can. 

I try and take the photos I want on the iPad, my iPhone or my iPod Touch so they're easy to email to the other device. 

If I absolutely have to I will use the Photo Transfer app to move the photos from iOS to laptop or the other way round.

Show Me is also great - an easy to move on to a blog or wiki.

• Jasmine Rolton (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 8:43pm ()

Thanks Allanah - I have Puppet Pals and see you need the Directors Pass to be able to take photos of the kids to have them as characters in the play.  I have been playing with Show Me and successfully uploaded it to my blog - I am rapt!  I am having problems adding photos from my camera roll onto the ShowMe page though - I will persevere:)  Will look into Book Creator.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 8:52pm ()

This YouTube video might help with Book Creator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1E1dKMED0

They are very responsive to feedback and are adding functionality all the time.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 5:44pm ()

Ni Jasmine

Have you tried Photo transfer?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940?mt=8

There are a number of free/cheaper ones but this one works well.

• Jasmine Rolton (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 7:12pm ()

Thanks... this is the first I have heard about photo transfer - I have looked online and will talk with my IT to look into uploading :)

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 12 May 2012 5:53pm ()

As an addition to the above reply, I find that the iPad camera kit is a an essential accessory. It lets me connect other iPods, and iPads and download the photos from them, and also download photos from sd cards and other cameras directly.

This means that my team can be filming on multiple devices and create it all on the one iPad. Files Connect also turns the iPad into a wifi drive so that photos, music, video and documents can be shared across the network.

• David Rankin (View all users posts) 16 May 2012 9:26am ()

I have 15 iPads in my Year 5/6 class purchased this term with the help of a Grant. Have just begun exploring options their use for Mathletics (via Rover) and Inquiry. The students love using them and found them excellent when taking writing to have the students view, read and deconstruct examples of narrative s before attempting their own

• Charlotte Corfe (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2014 5:12pm ()

David a great app for any brainstorming (Inquiry type work) is Poplet.  The lite version is free I think and kids can put down all the things they now, including pictures, and they can write and draw.  It is also a great way for students to connect new info that they find.  Pic Collage is another great app you can use to create posters or connect learning.  There are a number of versions of a similar thing and many are free.  I am very jealous of teh 15 iPads.  We have just 2 in our whole school and I have one in my Year 5 class.  

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2014 7:14pm ()

Photo transfer works well with emails, dropbox - create a folder create, share the link, create a shortened URL and share with iPad users and they can 'save image' anything they wish to use. Laptop/Desktop users can also access photos this way. Edomodo https://www.edmodo.com/ is excellent to transfer more than just photos and it is not platform dependent and students can share amongst themselves also.

Explain Everything is like a swiss army knife. Whiteboard, animate, annotate pdf, photos or videos. Saves to camera roll as a jpg or if you have recorded it will save as a movie.

Tellagami an avatar which records your voice and in the background can be a photo of their art, or anything they wish to present.

Shadow puppet is useful for a series of photos to create a presentation.

Strip Design is another really useful presentation tool that saves as a jpg.

Love anything that can save to the camera roll as then the result can be used in iMovie, Book Creator, Keynote & etc.

We have introduced BYO(Apple)D this year with all classes yr 3 - 7/8 designated as digital classes and years 1 & 2 are able to bring their own iPad as well as having access to a small pod of iPads for general use.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.