Search

Inspiring stories of ICT integration

• Public
Started by Suzie Vesper 11 May 2012 5:16pm () Replies (18)

There are a wonderful group of teachers who have been contributing their stories of ICT integration to the Software for Learning website under the 'Snapshot' section. These have been developing over time and have become more and more focused on the pedagogy rather than the tool. Here is the link to the site:

http://softwareforlearning.tki.org.nz/Snapshots

I was wondering if people could share some of their favourite snapshots here. Which ones do you think really demonstrate the 'Extending' and 'Empowering' end of the e-Learning Planning Framework?

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2014 2:12pm ()

Ever wondered what junior children could do on a iPad - beyond playing games?

Check out this gorgeous YouTube clip of kindergarten children researching, creating and capturing their learning about butterflies on an iPad.

Beautiful! Thank you Margot McKeegan for sharing this video.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 May 2014 10:29am ()

Here’s a fantastic illustration of effective e-learning pedaogy in action – where technology can, “encourage collaboration, creativity and bring the world into the classroom.”

1. Literacy: Here the teacher (Amber Palmer, America), shares how her students use technology to create stop-frame animations to help learn hard spelling words, so they can see how the word is put together. Why? So that when it comes to test day, they can, “close their eyes and imagine the word and get that spelling right.“

2. Digital literacy: Amber Palmer talks about how her students need to sift, syntehsise and use information, but they also need to understand if the information is, "legitimate, helpful, truthful and how does it apply to what they’re doing/learning."

3. Inquiry: The students have used Minecraft to dig into American history by recreating worlds from the past. 

Students formed their own states, debated whether to have slaves, moved westward, endured insect infestations, fires and other natural disasters, and built factories at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

They worked together to create worlds (old huts, diamond mines etc) collaboratively and then the Minecraft worlds were projected onto a big screeen - for everyone to watch the progress unfold. Magic!

I can see how some of these ideas could be adapted for our students in NZ. What do you think? 

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2012 5:14pm ()

Yes - if you have set the VoiceThread so that 'Anyone can view' and 'Anyone can comment' (in the Publishing options at the bottom edge of the screen when in Edit mode), then there shouldn't be any problem for the students as long as they have a VoiceThread account.  Maybe you have the same problem that I do at times in that the 'Moderate comments' setting seems to turn itself on when I don't want it to and then comments don't appear because you have to 'open' them first.  I've found that I have to untick the moderate comments option in the publishing options, then save, then open up the publishing options again and untick it once more after it mysteriously turns itself back on, and then finally save again.  I know that this is not a universal problem having watched someone else have no problems with it but it has helped me.

• Merryn Dunmill (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2012 3:21pm ()

The discussion around augmented reality is fantastic as we progress towards new interactive virtual technologies in the classroom. THe Hit Lab in Christchurch has developed a brilliant, free, augmented reality app called cityviewAR for android mobile phones. We used it last week at our national VPLD and Digi Advisor hui held in Christchurch as we toured the city so we could see what buildings WERE there, read about the history and take photographs all at once, of the very spot the building once stood simply using our phones. 

People who are not in Christchuch can still see the content as if they were there by enabling fake GPS location feature in the app. Very cool.

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 27 Jun 2012 1:21pm ()

I too have experimented using Voicethread with my language students as it is a great way to get short bursts of communicative language either spoken or written from them  However, we have struggled with them being able to comment on a public voicethread. At the moment I just use a personal, free version and make the voicethread open and embed the link on our ulttranet page which in theory should work fine.  It may be just that some of the students are not as tech savvy as others.  They are Yr 9 and 10 students and so I set voicethread tasks as homework.  Those for whom it works, have really engaged well with it and we have had some interesting threads.

• Janine Elizabeth Brown (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2012 9:24pm ()

Thank you, I am always on the look out for easy talking recording  tools, I have uploaded onto my ultranet page with ease and look forward to using it to enhance my children's learning.

• Rachel Carson (View all users posts) 20 Jun 2012 8:10pm ()

I am still very much a learner driver on VoiceThread but giving it a go.  It takes a while to get the children all loaded as their own identity, but we have made one about Maths strategies.  I posed a problem on the slide, they then explained using the microphone and the pen if needed how they would solve the problem.  This showed me which strategy they would use, and requires them to verbalise and show their working.

We also made one about a recent visit to the Recycling Centre, and what we enjoyed or learnt. Will load some on our class blog soon.

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 19 Jun 2012 8:48pm ()

My class  blog is www.thelearninghive.blogspot.com

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 19 Jun 2012 8:26pm ()

That sounds like a great activity Fiona. Could you share the link to your class blog so we could see this in action?

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 19 Jun 2012 8:24pm ()

VoiceThread is a brilliant tool for drawing out students and using oral language as a way to build in to written tasks. I would love to hear how you used it and how it went.  There is a snapshot in Software for Learning about a junior teacher using VoiceThread as part of her inquiry.

http://softwareforlearning.tki.org.nz/Snapshots/VoiceThread

There is also a page on the Software for Learning website about Voicethread:

http://softwareforlearning.tki.org.nz/Products/VoiceThread

Finally, here is a tutorial about VoiceThread for anyone that would like to know how to use it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5357929/VoiceThread

Join this group to contribute to discussions.