Search

ICT Teaching and Learning Curriculum Pathways

• Public
Started by Jamin Lietze 07 May 2012 12:25pm () Replies (6)

At my school we are currently reviewing the ICT skills and knowledge our students are being taught in an attempt to update and develop a more cohesive ICT Pathway from Years 1-8. One of the components of the ICT Pathway we are updating is digital citerzenship.

Is there another school out there that would be happy to share their ICT program/pathway?  Even if it was just for Year 1-6 or 7-8?

Thanks Smile

Replies

• Tania (View all users posts) 07 May 2012 8:38pm ()

Hi there Jamin,

I know the Pt England team and Dorothy Burt have this continuum on their site which maybe useful to you.  I have spoken to Dorothy recently and she shared this link with me and said that other schools had utilised it as a starting point.  Good luckLaughing

• Rachel Carson (View all users posts) 13 May 2012 9:45pm ()

The Pt England continuum is great.  Our current rubric focusses mostly on the skills the children need to access ICT e.g typing ability.  Having a more specific rubric can drive your teaching.  Children don't learn these things by osmosis - they usually learn them by their own mistakes.  How can we teach them before they make these mistakes?

• Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 14 May 2012 9:08pm ()

Thanks Tania, Dorothy and Pt England - this looks really useful.

• Jamin Lietze (View all users posts) 26 May 2012 8:29am ()

Thanks Tania, Rachel and Dorothy. After doing some looking around it is my impression that schools on a whole have moved away from using ICT Pathways as an approach to teaching and learning. Is this what others have found? I wonder if it may be because of the following reasons:

1) We are making an intentional shift to integrated teaching units and ICT Pathways don't give us the flexibility to do this? Instead the pathways become the default and drive the classroom program?

2) Technology keeps changing so the Pathways become old pretty quickly unless they are updated  annually?

I think for my teachers I wil put together a simple pathway that includes Digital Citerzenship concepts and information skills that need to be taught, and touch typing expectations. I will also add a list of tools (software and hardware) they could use to support their classroom program.

Anyone have any other ideas?

• Edwin McRae (View all users posts) 28 May 2012 11:46am ()

Hi Jamin,

The smoother the transition to our technologically saturated future of schooling, the better.  I'm gradually building up a body of game-based units over at my site, TheFictionEngine.  Hopefully there's something there that can help with your list?

cheers!

Edwin

Join this group to contribute to discussions.