Search

Has anyone heard of Raspberry Pi?

• Public
Started by Monika Kern 04 May 2012 3:33pm () Replies (3)

Hello all,

we received an email at school from Damian Funnell from Choice Technology, www.choicetechnology.co.nz, damian.funnell@choicetechnology.co.nz:

"Recently the Raspberry Pi Foundation released the Raspberry Pi – an inexpensive computer designed specifically to make computing, not just computers, more accessible in education."

They are offering low cost computer for under $100 excl GST and excl monitor, open source software.

Has anyone heard of this, what experices have you made with this? Sounds a bit too good to be true :-)

Thanks, Monika

Replies

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 04 May 2012 6:11pm ()

Due to additional testing and compliance checks the lead time for the Raspberry PI was extended.

The first batch was despatched last week and orders are now being filled on a ‘first come first served’ basis. The second batch is expected to arrive next week with further stock expected mid May.

As we receive further information with exact dates it will be posted on the below link-

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-43262

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, though the $100 is a worry, as the device is being sold in New Zealand for $55 incl GST, I suppose they would be selling it with a preloaded SD card, keyboard/mouse and HDMI cable.

As I wait for my delivery and watch with interest the raspberrypi.org website, I am starting to see the push for material to help assist teachers on how these devices could be used within classes, I know myself I am looking at replacing montors in my classroom with HDMI capable, also having discussions with students on these devices as I would love to see my Year 13 students have access to them next year.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.