Search

Workshop 2012 - Workshop Leaders

• Public
Started by Emma Watts 29 Apr 2012 11:12am () Replies (2)

Add your reflections about the Flick-It-On! Workshop Day

• What did you and the students in your workshop achieve?
  • How would you improve future workshops?

Thank you for taking the time to complete this feedback Smile

Replies

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2012 11:17am ()

Workshop leader support – at the end of the day I initially thought it would have been great to have teachers who attended to stay in the workshop and help students as 'guides on the side' (I ran the emotive photography workshop) but after consideration I felt this would stop the teachers from being able to pop in and visit many workshops extending their own e-learning PD which would support them in the ‘Flick-It-On’ Film Project. 

So instead I had the brainwave that workshop leaders could bring ‘techsperts’ (expert students) from their own school to support students taking part – if the workshop leader felt this would be beneficial.  It would be a great way to promote student leadership.  OR students to be the work shop leaders and me the support/guide!  Even better!

I had planned to do so much with the students!  First emotive photography, then types of shot and finally tips on taking good photos / film footage with covered angles, panning and zoom!  I ended up covering emotive photography & whizzing through types of shot.  We had 2 sessions, I could have given students shorter times to experiment and share, perhaps choose only 1 or 2 favourite photos to share or give students a card stating the emotion they should aim to show (quite like that idea!) that would create more time, then could do same with other 2 aspects – might squeeze it all in!  Alternatively break it into to different workshops with another workshop leader.  Another aspect, which would have been good to cover, is the basics of how to hold the devices when taking photos or film footage in order to take quality images.

Evaluative sheet for teachers attending workshops - Identifying which workshops teachers attended, explaining what skills they learnt and what they would take back to the classroom (e.g. their goals).  This could in turn be evaluated at the end of the project to identify goals they have achieved.  Also to include feedback on what went well about the workshop day and feed forward on how we could improve the workshops for next year.  Also debrief at the end of the day after the students have left, so teachers can ask questions and address any concerns.   This would also support teaching as inquiry – the evaluative sheet could be added as evidence to teacher’s portfolios, appraisals, BT folders etc. as well as help support them through the project.

All in all I had a fantastic day teaching students form 7 different schools in our region - the verbal feedback that I gained from teachers throughout the day was fantastic, the enagement and behaviour of the students was stunning.  Thank you!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.