Search

BYOD at low decile intermediate school?

• Public
Started by Monika Kern 23 Apr 2012 8:28pm () Replies (4)

Hi there,

we're slowly increasing our device - student ratio (soon 7 per class plus 13 in a computer room plus about 10 old pcs for technology). BYOD sounds like a great solution to increasing the ration further without great capital expense by the school. Our systems are not geared up for this, so this is more a theoretical consideration at the moment.

BUT there a number of valid concerns within staff regarding BYOD:

• Low socio-economic town, this could place undue pressure on whanau to provide their child with a device to take to school.
  • The gap between 'have's and 'have not's could increase by being able or not able to bring a device to school.
  • Devices getting broken, misplaced, taken.

Has anyone got any advice on this?

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 24 Apr 2012 5:13am ()

Kia ora Monika

Maybe consideration be given to the idea of Buy Your Own Device (BYOD) - payment plans can be set up and I recently heard of a school insisting that all students buy the same device @ a cost of approx $3.50 per week over a period of 3 years.  Your case will be different and I'm sure different payment terms can be negotiated.  Of course there were a lot of discussions held with parents/caregivers but in the end the idea was well supported.  Hopefully we'll catch up soon to have some more F2F discussions.

Moana

• eric pampalone (View all users posts) 24 Apr 2012 6:48am ()

We may also find that the technology currently being used by the 'have's' will eventually be commonplace.  Consider the humble mobile phone.  Originally a gimick which was out of the common person's price range, now I would suspect that most (all??) of the parents of a school population have one or more of them.  I would hazard a guess that tablets, laptops, ipods, most PT's will eventually be commonplace for most of us.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 24 Apr 2012 11:17am ()

Hi there Monika. A couple of ideas from me - some case studies and outcomes from 1:1 trials (Australia and NZ).

I don't want to be device specific, but iPads have been trialed in Australia and some useful considerations have emerged such as, 21 steps for planning, preparing, implementing and evaluating iPads. These ideas can be modified for any introduction of 1:1 devices (not just iPads). The associated case-studies can be accessed here. http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/ipad-education-case-studies

The issue about money/affordability and equitable access to resources is a big challenge - so that learning doesn't become ‘divisive’. The Manaiakalani project (Regional ICT PD cluster) reflective summaries can help shed some light on possible ways to address this - in a lower decile community.

Their pilot started out with a strong pedagogical focus on increasing literacy, where students and whanau got to own their own technologies (including payment plans etc). Because of the challenges on a similar economic scale, I think you would find this an interesting read from Dorothy Burt

Other interest groups in the VLN:

Join this group to contribute to discussions.