Search

Online Teacher Planners (getting rid of the black folder!)

• Public
Started by Claire Amos 21 Jun 2011 2:50pm () Replies (49)

Hi there,

I am keen to track down a good online Teacher Planner (and grade book). I have looked at LearnBoost and some other American ones, that don't seem quite right. I am trialling Outlook Calendar, but it doosen't have the other functionality (like gradebooks etc). I guess I could use a combo of Google Calendar and Forms, but I would prefer a bit of a pre-prepared package. Any suggestions??? I would love to have trialled it and be in a position to recommend something to our teachers for the beginning of 2012.

Thanks Claire

Replies

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 27 Jun 2011 8:47pm ()

I currently plan for my lessons in a Google spreadsheet. I think there are some good ideas here - I like the idea of combining a Google Calendar and series of docs. Are schools 'allowing' teachers to use digital versions though or are they holding on to the black books to have something physical to give to ERO?

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 12 Jul 2011 9:45am ()

We use Teacher Dashboard (created by Hapara) for our online ESOL trial school. We have had a few teething issues as they have developed the tool but overall it has been a wonderful way to keep track of changes to student Google docs classified into different folders (tabs in Teacher Dashboard). You can also use it to track changes to Google sites set up by students. Teacher Dashboard will create a set of folders inside each student's account during the setup process with all the permissions set up at the same time.

In the Teacher Dashboard view that teachers can access, there is a widget for each student inside a tab which corresponds to a Google folder in the students' Google Docs account. You have a tab for each of the folders that Teacher Dashboard generated during the setup. There is a list of all the documents within the student's folder inside this widget. You can see at a glance when the doc was last updated with a dash showing it was the student that updated and the name of the Google user if it was someone else (including yourself). Hovering your mouse over the name of a doc gives you a pop up preview of the doc which is also helpful to remind you of what that doc is about.

There is also the option to link an assessment doc (in our case a spreadsheet) from each student widget inside Teacher Dashboard so you can jump to this individual assessment doc from any of the tabs.

While we had to wait for awhile, you can now also push docs out to students into a folder in their account. This is a big time saver over copying a master doc for each student and then sharing it with each student's email.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2013 8:28pm ()

I know Claire was looking for a package deal but I'm currently just using Google Spreadsheets for both my planning and as a mark book. I've got a planner spreadsheet that has tabs for each week in a term and will just create four of them over the year. I've also got a spreadsheet that I'm using as a markbook with different tabs for each type of marks I'm collecting. I've found this useful when entering spelling results from 'Spelling under scrutiny' tests as I then apply conditional formatting rules to each column so that it automatically colours the background of the cells according to the scores so I can quickly identify patterns and areas that need attention.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.