Search

Online Teacher Planners (getting rid of the black folder!)

• Public
Started by Claire Amos 21 Jun 2011 2:50pm () Replies (49)

Hi there,

I am keen to track down a good online Teacher Planner (and grade book). I have looked at LearnBoost and some other American ones, that don't seem quite right. I am trialling Outlook Calendar, but it doosen't have the other functionality (like gradebooks etc). I guess I could use a combo of Google Calendar and Forms, but I would prefer a bit of a pre-prepared package. Any suggestions??? I would love to have trialled it and be in a position to recommend something to our teachers for the beginning of 2012.

Thanks Claire

Replies

• Caroline (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 4:35pm ()

I use google docs for all planning and that works for my team and school as everything is instantly shared with everyone, all they have to do is look it up in their drive. Unit plans are edited by all teachers in the team as required. I collaborate with a lot of people in my classroom so my weekly planning is shared with the teacher aides, the Monday relieving teacher, the SENCO, and the van Asch teacher who comes in twice weekly. They can all read it at their leisure and know what's coming up. My team and the management team also have access should they want it. Unit plans & LTPs on googledocs  are shared school-wide so we can track what the other teams are doing and they are shared with the librarians so they can use it to prepare resources. It would be great, however, if the weekly planning doc synched with the school calendar, (does anyone know how to make that happen?). 

This system works well for me because there are so many people involved.

Caroline

• MrsB30 (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2015 8:24am ()

Hi Caroline

I've started using Google Docs for my planning this year too and I can't believe it's taken me so long to use it! I think you can set up an event on the calendar and then insert the link from your planning. We do this with our CRT schedule so I would assume it work the same way! Haven't tried it thought =)

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 8:25pm ()

I use Planbook and I love it.  I can add events, no school days, bump lessons forwards or backwards.  There is a notes and homework tab for every lesson, even a tab for adding curriculum links.  I can add attachments or Google Drive links.  There is a share lesson function for other teachers.  Even students can be given a code to view their teacher's planner.  Our principal is able to drop in on our lessons to read and comment.  They are also working with Google for seamless continuity meaning Google calendar and drive can be integrated.  

• Cassie M (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 10:32am ()

iUgo is $171/year

Their website is www.iugo.co.nz

• Tara O'Neill (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 7:52pm ()

I'm from Te Karaka area school and I have used google sites for planning for 3 years now.  I love it.  I team teach so we share the site.  It is also linked to our school forum and this is used daily by everyone. The forum is Zitaboards.com.  Both these are free.  

• Cassie M (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2015 8:08pm ()

I was hoping somebody suggested iUgo as I use and it and love it! It is so simple to set up and has all the NZC AO's plus you can add your own. You can also share your planning with another teacher or your principal. They can give ERO a special login if they come and need to look at your planning. 

Highly recommended!

• Simon Woudberg (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2015 8:00pm ()

Our junior syndicate is trying an online planner this year and really enjoying it. Its called iUgo and is easily googled for more info. They tell me it is very easy and quick to make plans, match them to NZC achievement objectives and add resources and links to. Unfortunately it is not a free resource.

Other teachers at our school are using Google Docs and Slides for digital planning. We also use Teacher Dashboard with our students. 

• MrsB30 (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 8:23am ()

How much is iUgo?

• Arnika Brown (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2014 3:59pm ()

Hi All,

Last year I used OneNote for all my teacher planning, which I also shared with the Principal so he could access it anywhere, anytime.

OneNote is part of Microsoft Office so we all have it for free as Teachers under the MS Schools agreement.

You can also download it onto a Mac.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/

It has improved a lot since then and now has the OneNote set up tool for Teachers available which is AWESOME!!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/austeachers/archive/2014/06/25/onenote-setup-tools-for-teachers-your-secret-collaboration-weapon.aspx

Here is screenshot of what my planning set up looked like. You can add files, audio, video, links, type anywhere on a page, it has touch and drawing capability so you can write notes, add multiple pages and sections.

I just replicated what my big black planning folder looked like in OneNote and it was so easy to manage.

Onenote teacher planning set up.JPG

You can sync the notebooks so any changes made goes automatically to all notebooks shared. In a student context this means real time collaboration, just like a Google Doc.

There are some schools using this for all their RTC and Appraisal, and also as student workbooks.

We had ERO who looked through my planning which was all on OneNote - no paper- and they said it was a sustainable way of planning.

There are loads of videos for them. A quick vid here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfsbtMfPsqQ

Also STAC blog about using it in the classroom

http://eblog.stac.school.nz/?s=onenote

We also have it synced to our offline accounts so any changes you make when you are just working offline will automatically sync.

My partner and I have shared OneNotes on our phones for grocery lists, wedding plans etc - it literally has changed the way I organise my life.

I have loads of info on it so I am more than happy to help if anyone has any questions about it, and send through tip sheets etc.

You can email me directly if you want daveandarni@live.com

So many good ideas from everyone here.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2016 5:30pm ()

Hi there Arnika, and et al. I see this thread has run for a looong time and there are still so many people interested in digital planning for themselves and for collaborative purposes - all hopefully designed to help save time and double-up of data. 

So... my wondering is...we (Enabling e-Learning) are planning to host a LIVE WEBINAR: Digital teaching planners (15:45 - 16:45, 17 Mar 2016)  this term on digital planners - would anyone of you like to join us and share what you have discovered already? laugh This could entail a 1 - 2 slide presentation - showing the tool/s in action and how digital planners are working for you (benefits to teachers/colleagues/students). The webinar will be hosted in Adobe Connect. 

If you'd love to share what you've trialled so far, then please feel free to message me directly @ /profile/tessa.gray and we can talk some more. yes I'm sure many people would be interested in exploring this topic further. 

• Bevan James (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2013 1:06pm ()

A colleague and I are using google sites for collaborative planning. We have srt up a site where we can navigate to learning areas. The we create docs ( just make copies of previous weeks) which we can both edit. It's nice to plan together in one place anwe are becoming better at adding links...

We do still meet to do our weekly planner ( still on a doc) just so we can have the discussions that teachers need to have. For example regrouping and learner needs.

• Shaun Wood (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2013 6:54am ()

In my team we use Google Docs for our planning and Google Spreadsheets for tracking and analysing students data.  All the various plans and resources are hyper-linked to each other through one main page; our weekly plan. 

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2013 1:34pm ()

Kia ora koutou,

This thread has had a bit of traffic again recently (over 200 hits since Christmas 2012) - must be that time of year again! ;-)

Although we explored this topic originally back in 2011, what's changed for you all, if anything? How are you harnessing technology in 2013 to keep track of your students' progress?

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2013 8:28pm ()

I know Claire was looking for a package deal but I'm currently just using Google Spreadsheets for both my planning and as a mark book. I've got a planner spreadsheet that has tabs for each week in a term and will just create four of them over the year. I've also got a spreadsheet that I'm using as a markbook with different tabs for each type of marks I'm collecting. I've found this useful when entering spelling results from 'Spelling under scrutiny' tests as I then apply conditional formatting rules to each column so that it automatically colours the background of the cells according to the scores so I can quickly identify patterns and areas that need attention.

• Jo Wilson (View all users posts) 10 Aug 2011 10:38am ()

I know many NZ Primary school teachers use the Innovative Teachers Planner developed by Eric Frangenheim and his team. This is currently being developed as an online resource and indications are that it will be available for 2012.

I meet up with Eric recently and I hope to have the opportunity to see a trial version of this  - so I will keep you posted

Join this group to contribute to discussions.