Search

Online Teacher Planners (getting rid of the black folder!)

• Public
Started by Claire Amos 21 Jun 2011 2:50pm () Replies (49)

Hi there,

I am keen to track down a good online Teacher Planner (and grade book). I have looked at LearnBoost and some other American ones, that don't seem quite right. I am trialling Outlook Calendar, but it doosen't have the other functionality (like gradebooks etc). I guess I could use a combo of Google Calendar and Forms, but I would prefer a bit of a pre-prepared package. Any suggestions??? I would love to have trialled it and be in a position to recommend something to our teachers for the beginning of 2012.

Thanks Claire

Replies

• Caroline (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 4:35pm ()

I use google docs for all planning and that works for my team and school as everything is instantly shared with everyone, all they have to do is look it up in their drive. Unit plans are edited by all teachers in the team as required. I collaborate with a lot of people in my classroom so my weekly planning is shared with the teacher aides, the Monday relieving teacher, the SENCO, and the van Asch teacher who comes in twice weekly. They can all read it at their leisure and know what's coming up. My team and the management team also have access should they want it. Unit plans & LTPs on googledocs  are shared school-wide so we can track what the other teams are doing and they are shared with the librarians so they can use it to prepare resources. It would be great, however, if the weekly planning doc synched with the school calendar, (does anyone know how to make that happen?). 

This system works well for me because there are so many people involved.

Caroline

• MrsB30 (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2015 8:24am ()

Hi Caroline

I've started using Google Docs for my planning this year too and I can't believe it's taken me so long to use it! I think you can set up an event on the calendar and then insert the link from your planning. We do this with our CRT schedule so I would assume it work the same way! Haven't tried it thought =)

• Ceri de Boo (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 7:51pm ()

Hi, I use an Excel spreadsheet and have done so for the last 2 years when I realised what a ridiculous waste of my time it was writing in all my classes for the year, day by day, term by term. I created a template for the weekly timetable and then use different spread sheets within the workbook for each term. I also use it to plan out my units of work so use different sheets again for each year group ( I am Secondary). I save it to one drive so have no need to even lug the brick of a laptop we have home as I can keep local copies on my school laptop and other devices.

I would be interested to know if anyone has made this kind of application compatible with any of the calendars. Often the online versions seem restrictive when one tries to get a one stop shop for everything, having said that Google is making great leaps into making everything more and more compatible and can be amalgamated with kamar calendars, guess it depends on exactly what you want it to do for you. 

• MrsB30 (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2015 8:57am ()

Actually, you add it as an attachment

• Caroline (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2015 4:05pm ()

Thanks, I'll play around with it and see what I come up with. Often when I'm planning I sit there with a few tabs open anyway and flit from page to page and that doesn't take too long anyway. I include links etc in the planning and that's great. No reason not to link to the calendar. I guess what I would really like would be if the calendar events transferred automatically into my planning doc on the right day. Perhaps I should use a calendar as a planner :). It's not such a biggie really and the google docs have made life so much easier.

I didn't mention that I still do print it out each week and have it on a clipboard so my reading and maths rotations are in front of me while I'm actually planning, then I scribble my changes over top by hand. In this way it serves the same function as the black folder would do. I don't work off planning within the computer during the day as students are often using it to research, do something on the smartboard, mathletics, blog, edit movies etc. Planning is then filed so I can review it at my leisure and back-overview the term in reading or writing. Then I have a record of what actually happened, not just what I planned to happen and this informs assessments and future planning, and for reporting purposes. I also use google spreadsheets for tracking student progress and as they work through processes, in the same way that I use class lists. 

Caroline

• Jared Holden (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 10:19pm ()

I can't believe it had taken me this long to find this group!! I've planning everything in Excel for ages and its starting to get way to labour intensive and just a bit one dimensional. Is anyone able or willing to share any of the templates they are using in GDocs so we can see how it is being used? Cheers for any help you can offer.

• Tony Cairns (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 11:17pm ()

i went BBB big black book to excel to google calendar and am back at BBBws ie with stickies so i can move all lessons around easily on colour coded stickies but surely google calendar is the way of the world the hope of the future and the best place to start

excel is too clunky and books too analogue and time and space static

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0AhrefaD2fy_FdDNqWHQ5UFdwbTRCV2lmRGVPQ3hnaWc&authuser=1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YCqD2eZY9CQ5fEmWdaYLK3JQDjTzyk7snqs4CU28GPo/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11cMt3qJ9nFWiOnbul1erBfvFF65Fv8FGgoCeNyLqWF4/edit#heading=h.wx4anobwi0j1

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2015 10:57am ()

Here is a crowd sourced presentation with teachers sharing their collaborative planning - might be some useful ideas here.

• Vicki Hagenaars (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2015 8:33pm ()

I was introduced to a Canadian based one called Planboard BUT it has the NZC attached to it.  It is easy to use  and you can set groups etc within it as well. It is online and can be accessed from any device. I have not tried with Google Docs but did discover this ahead of those.

• Rebecca Williams (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2016 9:27pm ()

Someone mentioned awhile back a site called Planboard. If it is the one from Chalk, then it is the that I, and now several other teachers at my school, use and we love it! My planning is so much more detailed and efficient, and it's so easy to move lessons around, rearrange them, add resources etc.

I haven't used the NZC standards as I've gone through and added all of my own - I use it as a kind of checklist of everything I need to teach for a unit. It's really useful being able to see which skills/concepts I've already taught, and then go back and see when I taught them!

For those who are interested, you can find Planboard here: https://www.planboardapp.com/. You can attach resources to specific lessons or units - uploaded files/Google Drive files/links/videos etc. You can also share some things, and download the day's lessons as PDF - useful if your school allows you to use this for relief! It does take a bit to set up initially, but once you have it makes planning so easy! 

• Naomi Laycock (View all users posts) 05 May 2015 12:08pm ()

I used google docs with hyper links last year but was frustrated that this was just a digital version of the old paper ones. I also printed them out each week which seemed to defeat the purpose of being digital. This year i am trialing using google calendar. I can use the repeat function to copy sessions, and modify only one session when needed. I put the group i am working with and change the colour of the event so it is easy to see who i am working with. I use the description part to add in the detail such as learning intentions etc and i can add an attachment or hyper link where needed. I can go back in and make notes on specific children and where they are up to with their learning so i am not losing bits of paper. i am loving the fact it flicks up when it is time to do the next thing as a reminder. I have shared my calendar with my team leader so she can look at it whenever she wants. Seems to be working well for me at the moment but am keen to see what others are using.

• Carly Kidd (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2015 10:30pm ()

Some asked if anyone was willing to share their google docs planning...I have been using Google docs for the last 2 and 1/2 years  for all planning and most of my assessment. It has been fantastic for collaboration and sharing of ideas with other staff and now with the students. This year I am teaching an e-learning class and now share my planning with the class, just reading and maths at the moment! My students love it and  sharing it makes it so easy to share links with them to other docs or resources I want them to use.  It has also enabled students to continue with learning when they are not able to make it to school, etc.

Here is a sample of some of mine over the years:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_onVgVJbFY5hGLv4-RdKPyoS4P6uUA8tBGsU-rgrLSs/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oVWIQ_Xi518jZburDQK5ssr6NXhLJgNKSokya5RS_pQ/edit?usp=sharing 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pyujKT699RvfKtKZOFjJuszx359B7IpgCKy2sXr7fpw/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d1OhyAfIRJZAY05dt3wJdt-KnkBAVk_1_VhzLKG-8Ew/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m3JZYP4j_xsz5v9PiNTvzChPOji3HLsEVSWbCn1dIDs/edit?usp=sharing 

Hope they are useful :)

• Nicole (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2015 2:57pm ()

Thanks for sharing! I have only just started using Google Docs this term so really useful to see how someone else does it.

Thanks!

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2015 10:38pm ()

Hi Karly

Thanks for sharing examples of google doc planners.  

Cheers Kaye

Join this group to contribute to discussions.