Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2011 11:50am ()

I am really enjoying reading this threadCool. Thanks so much for the resources shared by you all, and the honest and reflective references to your own experiences.

Please flick the link to this thread to other facilitators who you think might be interested.

Can you list a couple of reasons why teachers shy away from technology - and is it usually personal, or are there factors at play to do with the wider school context, such as leadership or resourcing?Undecided

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 14 Jun 2011 7:52am ()

I thought I'd jump in at this point with a quick summary of this very rich discussion up to now. Again - some really interesting resources being shared to illustrate your own pointsSmile .The key themes that seem to be emerging:

• Tessa, Kellie, Jo, Chrissie, Heath discussed the different theories, approaches, contexts, behaviours, feelings (fear, lack of confidence) that people bring to professional learning. Professional learning (andragogy) must a differentiated endeavour, and it is most effective when it is collaborative and meaningful to one's own contexts.
    • Chrissie, Kellie, and Karen highlighted the importance of content - connecting what we do to the big ideas, to the classroom context, to pedagogy and curriculum, and process - engaging in social participation, providing opportunities to connect with each other.
    • Isaac, Innes, and Allanah raised the importance of planning professional learning from where teachers are at, working from what we know. They explored the question: how do we find out where people are starting from?
    • Chrissie, and Kellie reminded us of the importance of leadership, in terms of modelling, and aligning activities

There seems to be plenty of scope to start one or two new topics, springboarding off those themes above that matter to each of us....

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2011 10:11am ()

Quite right, AnneLaughing. Labels are reductive and unhelpful. The original 'technophobe' title was a (perhaps provocative) quote from the blog post that kicked off this thread.

Many people who have contributed to this conversation assert the importance of finding out where people are at, no matter what their level of expertise and motivation, so professional learning can be tailored accordingly.

Your comment about being 'discriminating' is a vital one. To use technology knowingly and deliberately as part of a learning experience is what we're all aiming to do, I think. Being discriminating is pretty sophisticated Smile , though, in that it implies one has some baseline understanding of what's appropriate, available, possible... I guess there are some folk who perhaps are not quite at that stage yet, though, and have yet to be convinvced that it's worth being taking that next step.

How do we help people build their knowledge of curriculum/pedagogy/technology so that they can be discriminating in their choices?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.