Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 09 Jun 2011 11:10pm ()

I've found this discussion really helpful and thought provoking as one of the problems uppermost in my mind is how to deal with the technophobe on my staff.  The bottom line is that the students are missing out - they are not getting the notices because they are electronic, messages are missed because they come by email, and the exciting  world of blended e_learning is absent. I've taken the "water the flowers approach" with the staff, but rather than the"drip down" effect, it's been "water off a duck's back".  Now there has to be an element of compulsion and realising that it's not an option.  I'm aware of the model "Managing Complex Change"; I think the resistance is from real fear of something she doesn't use in her private life; she has been exposed to the benefits from others around her. I think some gentle hand holding over a defined period, with an element of compulsion, has to be my next step.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.