Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 08 Jun 2011 8:30pm ()

I agree Kellie...small steps, raising the bar, 'gentle pressure' all can help a teacher who is yet to integrate e-learning into their classroom programmes.   What has helped for me? Making it easy for teachers by identifying easy to use e-tools that are quick to use with the children - and being prepared to teach staff who need help to use the tool.  Probably most importantly - why are we using it, identifying how it is enhancing the learning in the classroom.  Some teachers will fly with an e-tool, others will need you to be the 'guide on the side'. 

Most of all be patient and definitely take a few deep breaths - easier said than done at times!  Leadership often feels like one step forward and two steps back. 

See it as a 'learning curve' and acknowledge that teachers and students will be at different stages on that learning curve.  Celebrate - even the small successes!  Praise and share the learning that is happening across the school that students and teachers have shared through e-learning. 

Adding e-learning to our school annual targets has really helped at my school. Clarity is key!  What are the expectations? What are we aiming for?  How will we achieve this? How are we progressing? How can we review the target? Being prepared to let the target evolve as the year progress, checking that the target is understood and the action plan is working.  Review is also key!

This year one e-learning annual target for my school is: "90% classes to create a blog post about their learning once a week.

'...teachers & students will track their learning through ICTs, NZNC & key competencies via blogging' and '...for teachers, students and parents to develop and use ‘academic commenting’ rather than ‘social commenting’ 

At the end of Term 1 58% of teachers & their class created a blog post once or more a week about their learning and 42% created between 2 and 7 posts during that 11 week term!  This success was shared and celebrated!  We still need to continue to focus on academic commenting, embedding key competencies and raising the 58%!  We have started the journey...now we need to keep the momentum going through regular review! Smile

I recommend the following books that have helped me to analyse my leadership skills in leading e-learning (if you have time in your busy schedules!):

'The Six Secrets of Change' by Michael Fullan

'Primal Leadership' by Daniel Goleman

'Fierce Leadership' & 'Fierce Conversations' by Susan Scott

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 08 Jun 2011 9:11pm ()

Lol...yes it is hard nosed...and yes I understand the point of view and to some extent agree!  Smile

However if you stated that to the teachers (those who feel that they are technophobes) it would not cut the mustard!  If I launched in ordering staff to integrate use e-tools I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands!

Daniel Goleman suggests that a successful leader switches between four styles of leadership - visionary, coaching, affiliative and democractic in order to 'boost' performance.  He states that 'pacesetting' and 'commanding' styles of leadership '....although useful in some very specific situations, should be applied with caution'

It makes me think of the phrase "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"! Smile

I know I cannot force my students to think, learn and understand but I can try different ways to inspire them to do so.  I cannot force teachers to use technology.  When I support other teachers to use e-learning I also try to find ways to inspire them, to help make educational links and purposes for using the e-learning, praise their successes and slowly bring in new ideas (or quickly for those who wish!).  I agree with having a 'fierce conversation' (Susan Scott) and being honest. I've found that inspiring others, using my emotional intellgience helps...it's a slow process, fuelled with frustrations along the way of course, yet I feel confident it can help to create a community of confident life long learners.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.