Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2011 10:40am ()

Great comments here folks, I hope other facilitators on the ICT PD contract pop in to get the benefit from this.

I have to agree with comments about finding incentives for teachers as well as clarifying intended goals and outcomes through effective change management strategies. I also enjoyed reading about nudge and nurture approach and the ‘gentle pressure’. Allanah you’re right – it’s been 30 years since we’ve had computers in the classroom, so come-on.  Emma your ideas about supporting teachers to use e-learning by inspiring them, celebrating successes, praise as well as making educational links and purposes for using the e-learning is really invaluable.

For me it’s the first sentence of the blog post, “One of the issues with embedding technology into teaching and learning is the resistance to the embedding by practitioners.” It’s the whole of idea of embedding into teaching and learning practice. Some teacher use technology for their own personal and professional use – the issue lies, in how to transfer these skills in an authentic way - to positively impact on student learning. This I believe is the tipping point.  

If we ask ourselves, “how do we get teachers who use technology on a daily basis to be able to transfer their skills into the effective use of technology in the classroom?” we have a couple of things to unpack…

1.    That people (teachers) have varying degrees of attitude, readiness, confidence, understanding – when it comes to infusing ICTs into teaching and learning.
    Technology adoption cycle is not new, in fact an early model from 1957 is still one we reference today
    2.     E-capability models or frameworks enable educators to understand the implications and impact of technology implementation in education
    3.    The process of 'teaching as inquiry' is hugely beneficial to student learning outcomes.
    4.    Professional learning can challenge teacher practice and beliefs and inspire new ways of thinking and new ways of workingThe process for teacher as inquiry is hugely beneficial to student learning outcomes.

We can find ways to support and mentor adult learners (teachers) with incentives for learning new technologies, ultimately, the intention is for teachers to find ways to transfer their knowledge of how ICTs can support learning into new ways of working. EG: take an understanding of good e-learning theory and pedagogy and put this into practice. Having great mentors like yourselves guide this process is paramount.

Strategies such as modeling effective e-learning pedagogy, making links with current learning theory, reflecting on practice as well as sharing and celebrating this is invaluable. Possibly acknowledging that some reluctant learners are going to need some very specific support could be practical as well. Resources such as, How Teachers Learn Technology Best By Jamie McKenzie (2001) is not new but can be useful in this instance.

Other ideas to help guide the embedding/transference process could include:

* Having teachers identify exactly who is being taught (individual, group, class)
    * Teachers having clear learning intentions and lesson sequences based on prior data gathering
    * Teachers understanding what the intended valued outcomes might look like once achieved
    * Teachers knowing how these will be taught/facilitated effectively
    • Teachers knowing which ICTs/e-learning tools will be appropriate to use for learning to be successful

I’d love to hear more?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Jun 2011 10:22am ()

Great question Kellie RE: personalities and learning styles of adults. Without wanting to label anyone or make assumptions that the following is definitive in any way, there are some interesting descriptors for how people may adapt/adopt new technologies.

As well as the aforementioned Technology Adoption Lifecycle, there is also a post by Jeremiah Owyang who writes about the 'persona' of adopting new technologies and in the context of social media tools. He explains there are three types of 'persona' which may help identify the way in which some people adopt and use new technologies. These are defined as "Pioneers", "Settlers" and "Colonists". For more go to http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2008/06/06/social-media-early-adopters-pioneers-settlers-and-colonists/

Some may find the following presentation on ways to hook teachers into technology of interest as well.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 20 Jun 2011 10:27am ()

Always interesting to hear differing perspectives about any of the issues shared. I think this kind of forum is invaluable when we honour various views and are able to, “…reflect on what effects the application of knowledge capital” and how this may have an impact on individual stakeholders in this community. Having a useful set of guiding questions is one strategy for this.

For some, it is also a process for gaining the confidence and ability to participate and engage with others online - to possibly alter another “stakeholders’ understanding and definition of what matters.”

http://bevtrayner.com/base/docs/Wenger_Trayner_DeLaat_Value_creation.pdf

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2011 1:26pm ()

How to help the technophobes?

Here's an archived K12 webinar (American) on No More Excuses: It's time to overcome your technophobia which includes the 7 symptoms of 'technophobia' and some cures - useful examples of technology being used in context.

At the end of this webinar (1.00.36sec) they offer a FREE copy of 32 Tips for the Techphobic Teacher for non-members. http://goo.gl/u4JHT

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2014 1:03pm ()

Here's something a little bit different. Integrating Technologies | The Pencil Metaphor. Which part of the pencil are you? Thanks for the Twitter image Monika Kern.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 May 2014 11:41am ()

Wow, this has been really powerful viewing/reading/listening, thanks for this Mary-Anne.

In the Tedtalks video, Marty Linsky’s guiding questions really got me engaged and thinking! The messages that spoke to me most were:

• Leadership addresses problems that require adaptation. Adaptive work lives in the heart, guts, belief part of the body. Like you've mentioned above Mary-Anne.
    • When you ask people to adapt, you ask them to give up something that’s worked for them, that’s part of who they are and makes them feel comfortable in life. 
    • Leading adaptive change is difficult because its about the distribution of loss. Maybe even threatening something that is important to others.
    • Leadership is difficult, a dangerous activity. Telling people what they need to hear, rather than what they want to hear – can get ourselves in trouble. 

I just posted a comment today, on how paradigms of the past can influence the actions of today - much like your references to mental maps and filters.

My parting thoughts would be:

When we recognise past paradigms (where they come from and why we have them) influence our actions, how we might we adapt and 'evolve' from these - to close the gap between the aspirations we have for our learners and the current reality?

Image sourced from Creative Commons
  • Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2016 4:50pm ()

I recently read Steve Wheeler's short blog post, On what we think about technology where he shares how he's expanded on the graphic below - 3 biggest fears of a student using technology on the right by adding the 3 biggest fears of a teacher using on the left. He's opened this up for discussion.

I recently had a discussion with a colleague about the importance of pen/paper/notebook because of the issues on the right of this graphic... 

What are your thoughts? Are these your fears or do you move between the two?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.