Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Heath sawyer (View all users posts) 08 Jun 2011 1:57pm ()

I completely concur with Jan's commment about making the ICT secondary. Teachers tend to adopt new methods and technologies when it can be seen as improving what they already do. Personal gain is generally the first thing resistors notice, "Oh, that will save me alot of time", "can I copy that resource?, I'll have to try that".

Explain the benefits!

Managing Complex Change

When introducing something new a school needs to set expectations about what is to be achieved by its' teachers. This of course needs to be followed by support to help meet those expectations. I'm all for sandbox time but eventually we need to find our purpose, set some goals and get to work to achieve them. Without goals and timeframes the technophobe will often find excuses as to why things don't work. The Managing Complex Change model outlines brilliantly the factors required for the process of change.

Managing complex change

Just reading this back to myself I think a blended approach is best, subdefuge and subtlety makes working with technophobes easier but there needs to be a plan backed up with a bit of accountability as well.

• Heath sawyer (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2011 4:40pm ()

Liked the contexts you provided Chrissie, you see those situations all the time.

Some more thoughts....

Technophobe

1.(Sociology) someone who fears the effects of technological development on society and the environment
    2.someone who is afraid of using technological devices, such as computers
    The why isn't that complicated, fear is the preventor for these colleagues and it all stems from the types of situations that Chrissie has just mentioned. I think the effects of those feelings are something that facilitators and school leaders deal with more directly. How do we work to support teachers in this situation? is what this thread is all about.

----------------------

As we know technophobes are driven by fear and their behaviour at school often reflects this. It might be useful to share some of the situations we have come across as a means of identifying this fear instead of recognising it as being difficult, incompetent or something else.

Here's a starter:

The ICT maintenance book:

• Technophobes will tell you about something but never add it to the job list.
    • The same problem keeps appearing in the job list

Things people say:

• Someone changed my password.
    • It probably won't even work with schoolzone. (That's probably true, but oh well Undecided)

Look forward to hearing some more.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.