Search

How to help the 'technophobes'...?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 08 Jun 2011 11:39am () Replies (41)

There was an interesting opinion piece on the e-Learning Stuff blog this week, about the resistance, in some quarters, to using technology for teaching and learning:

'...but I'm a technophobe!' [e-Learning stuff blog]

If you are involved in professional learning, how do you manage this situation?

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2011 1:26pm ()

How to help the technophobes?

Here's an archived K12 webinar (American) on No More Excuses: It's time to overcome your technophobia which includes the 7 symptoms of 'technophobia' and some cures - useful examples of technology being used in context.

At the end of this webinar (1.00.36sec) they offer a FREE copy of 32 Tips for the Techphobic Teacher for non-members. http://goo.gl/u4JHT

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2014 1:03pm ()

Here's something a little bit different. Integrating Technologies | The Pencil Metaphor. Which part of the pencil are you? Thanks for the Twitter image Monika Kern.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2014 4:00pm ()

... And in another direction...

Take a look at this Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af-cSvnEExM

Also take a look through this webpage (an area I have recently been studying in): http://www.mbraining.com/mbit-and-leadership

If we are wanting to engage "Techno-phobes" we may want to consider some of the following:

1. Where are the misalignments between head, heart and gut brains for these people and ourselves as leaders? If we are wanting deep embedding and sustainability, do we not need alignment of all three; or is merely about being consistently persistent and persistently consistent?
    2. What are their mental maps telling them about the messages they receive? 
    3. What are our mental models about these people telling us? 

Mental Models Map: an event occurs, or we get a message about something. We place this information through our many filters. These then recreate a "story" or our own map of the information, which in turn affects our physiology and external behaviour. So, what we may perceive as being reticent, hesitant or resistant, may in actual fact be associated with the mental filters the person is passing the information through. Our role (I believe) is to engage in dialogue with these people to understand their filters. It is from there that we can move them forward. We all have these parts of our lives where we place blocks, so if we are to take a position of arrogance towards this are we not then showing incongruent leadership?
    Perceptual filters

Food for further thought... :)

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 May 2014 11:41am ()

Wow, this has been really powerful viewing/reading/listening, thanks for this Mary-Anne.

In the Tedtalks video, Marty Linsky’s guiding questions really got me engaged and thinking! The messages that spoke to me most were:

• Leadership addresses problems that require adaptation. Adaptive work lives in the heart, guts, belief part of the body. Like you've mentioned above Mary-Anne.
    • When you ask people to adapt, you ask them to give up something that’s worked for them, that’s part of who they are and makes them feel comfortable in life. 
    • Leading adaptive change is difficult because its about the distribution of loss. Maybe even threatening something that is important to others.
    • Leadership is difficult, a dangerous activity. Telling people what they need to hear, rather than what they want to hear – can get ourselves in trouble. 

I just posted a comment today, on how paradigms of the past can influence the actions of today - much like your references to mental maps and filters.

My parting thoughts would be:

When we recognise past paradigms (where they come from and why we have them) influence our actions, how we might we adapt and 'evolve' from these - to close the gap between the aspirations we have for our learners and the current reality?

Image sourced from Creative Commons
  • Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2016 4:50pm ()

I recently read Steve Wheeler's short blog post, On what we think about technology where he shares how he's expanded on the graphic below - 3 biggest fears of a student using technology on the right by adding the 3 biggest fears of a teacher using on the left. He's opened this up for discussion.

I recently had a discussion with a colleague about the importance of pen/paper/notebook because of the issues on the right of this graphic... 

What are your thoughts? Are these your fears or do you move between the two?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.