Search

Tools for e-portfolios

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 02 Apr 2012 7:34am () Replies (4)

HI there,

binder of photos

I thought I'd share this post, (forwarded to me on Twitter by Glen Davies), that describes How to create a portfolio with Evernote.

He describes how he and his class:

• capture student work 'on the fly' using mobile technologies
  • scan and store work completed throughout the learning process
  • use it to focus conversations with students and parents

He doesn't explore whether the students curate their work as they go along - or the extent to which they collaborate on their learning with others (although of course that doesn't mean they aren't doing that).

Whenever we (us/the students) select technologies to support learning, it's about choosing the process and then the right tools for the job. There is no 'right' technology for e-portfolios - so what do you use, and why?

[Image source: Chapendra - CC BY NC 2.0]

Replies

• Simon Evans (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2012 9:28am ()

In my role as site facilitator for Software for Learning I am most interested in the proposed discussion.

On the main site of Software for Learning there is a page dedicated to ePortfolios which gives a sound overview and shares links resources and thought inspiring videos.

Under ePortfolios in the 'Browse by Software' we have begun to collate the suggested software that New Zealand teachers are begining to use for this purpose.

However, these resources are simply an overview of a variety of possible software to use, and is far from exhaustive. What I'm interested in here is how you, as teachers, view the learning entailed in the use of ePortfolios and how you came to select a particular software.

• Jane Armstrong (View all users posts) 03 Apr 2012 2:45pm ()

The e-Portfolios page on the Enabling e-Learning website has some interesting and useful school stories from Russell Street School and Te Kura o Tiori Burnham School, who use blogger as their e-portfolio. Burnham school use Blogger as part of Google Apps.

Russell Street School uses their e-portfolios as an ongoing record of learning both formative and summative. Their stories, share the setup, documentation, and expectations of staff and students in using their e-portfolios.

Burnham School share how they use their e-portfolios and the benefits of differing levels of privacy allowed with Google Apps.

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2012 8:53pm ()

Ka pai!  Just watched some of the short video clips - cool!  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.