Search

creating accounts

• Public
Started by Chris Jager 31 May 2011 12:24pm () Replies (6)

Hi everyone

Am looking for some clarity around creating accounts. When I first created my VLN account I did so via the register link on the VLN home page using my work email address. I knew I had built a profile so subsequently I chose to login via the "login via Google" button I noticed that I had no profile and it took me some time to click that I had actually created a second account - this time using my gmail address. Karen kindly went into behind the scenes and rectified this so I no longer had a split personality!

In the last couple of days the same situation has been reported by one of our cluster personnel. He thought he had lost his profile but in fact finds he has two accounts.

Having a single log on is great for those of us who regularly log in to both google and the vln. But it seems to be a potential trap for anyone doing what I did originally. Is this happening commonly or is it just an abberation for those a few of us?

What is the best advice to offer people around this scenario?

Replies

• Hayden Shaw (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 12:34pm ()

Hi Chris,

If users are taking advantage of the google login, which should be encouraged and is extremely common nowadays, they have to be sure that the the google address they are using is infact the exact address they registered with or their account is set too. 

When logging in with google, the VLN checks for an account matching the google address and if it finds one, it logs then in.  If it doesn't find one it creates a new account.  This is standard practice on any website taking advantage of google logins.

FYI - users can check what their email is set too here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Hayden

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 12:42pm ()

Fair point, Hayden. I think, though, there are people who only discover this after the fact...and  it's too late when you're covered in confusion, as Chris points out:-(

Anyone wishing to have an account deleted can request it here: help@vln.school.nz

And if people aren't sure if they have created more than one account, they can search for their name - that will highlight any duplicates.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 12:54pm ()

I have now created a page in this group to clarify this - /pg/pages/view/56245/ - and I'll link to this from the home page.

Hope this helpsSmile

• Jeff Chung (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 10:37am ()

Chris, thanks for posting this. I guess a disadvantage for many of having an account linked to Google is email notifications will be sent to this account and not a work email account. With all my accounts deleted my issues are all resolved - thanks Hayden.

• Chris Jager (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 12:45pm ()

Great to see you are up and running Jeff - thanks to all concerned Smile

I have solved the issue of keeping a separation between personal and professional in Google by having two accounts. One was set up with my work email address so all email through that account comes directly to Outlook. My personal Google account uses my gmail address.

Until recently Google didnt allow you to be logged into two accounts in the same browser but now that is an option, it works well for me.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Help

Help

This group is a place to find or request help in the VLN.