Search

Just joined this group? What's on top - in 140 or less!

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 31 May 2011 9:51am () Replies (9)

Kia ora! Welcome to the group:-) 

Starting with our own contexts is a powerful way to request support, or clarify what we are doing, with the help of others in the group.

What aspect of elearning is at the front of your mind at the moment? Share what's on top in 140 characters or less - and who knows? There'll be others who are exploring the same issues, tooLaughing

Replies

• Nigel Frater (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 9:56am ()

Being the school Principal and the techy is a demanding role- I love to see ICT implemented and integrated effectively but the tech issues suck up a lot of time! 

• Jo Fothergill (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 5:48pm ()

I love seeing my kids do stuff with tech without worrying if it will work or not - they just assume it will.

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 9:39pm ()

As a classroom teacher and lead e-learning teacher there are 3 apects of e-learning at the front of my mind at the moment:

1. Digital citizenship - with student input changing our current AUP to a values based AUP linked to our school values and the key competencies
    2. Encouraging and inspiring teachers across the school to embed e-learning into their classroom programmes 
    3. Students making choices about which e-tool to use to share their learning and justifying these choices
  • Kelliem (View all users posts) 02 Jun 2011 7:13am ()

My principal has just been to a meeting discussing having no Acceptable Use Agreement that is signed by the kids. A strong policy- yes but not a 'sign you life away and forget it' agreement. Is our staff understanding deep enough to change student behaviour?

• Melanie Matthews (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2011 9:59pm ()

I agree with you but it is our responsibility to provide models for acceptable use and consequences that may occur through carelessness. Hectors World and the Grid are a great resource for this. I think teaching digital citizenship is extremely important for our students to be able to leave a healthy and empowering digital footprint. In our school we have a great deal of freedom on the Internet and feel safe with this because of digital citizenship being embedded in our values along side agreements being signed by students and their caregivers.

• Melanie Matthews (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2011 9:46pm ()

eLearning at the top of my mind at the moment is integrating our 15 iPods into our class programs in a way that isn't just about repititive learning through the fabulous apps that are available but more about creativity, collaboration, reflection and communication. It's exciting times ahead but as Nigel Frater says it sucks a lot of time. That is really difficult as a full time class teacher, DP and the ICT lead teacher. I use many personal hours fixing problems, syncing and updating iPods and researching effective apps and tools available. I am not complaining but that time issue is a problem that is hard to solve.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 06 Jun 2011 10:51pm ()

I agree with the sentiments about time...DP, elearning leader, network manager, joint cluster facilitator, curriculum and assessment...! Big issues for me are creating a five year plan to enable us to be a digital school, getting everyone on board and still having time to explore myself. Having fun with my new ipad2 though!

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2011 8:10am ()

Some really interesting comments here - many thanks for sharing. Time is always an issue during any period of learning and change, I think...*sigh*....what is exciting to see here is emerging themes, where several of you are focusing on digital citizenship, as part of effective teaching and learning, and also on the importance of using technology deliberately.

We can mine some of these common themes more deeply over the coming weeksSmile

Join this group to contribute to discussions.