Search

Creativity - Do we need to teach it?

• Public
Started by Emma Watts 29 May 2011 7:01pm () Replies (5)

Just a quick check of twitter and Jed Bartlett's tweet jumped off the screen; "How Do We Prepare Kids for Jobs We Can't Imagine Yet? Teach Imagination",  it grabbed my attention as teaching thinking and preparing/equiping students for their future is something I feel passionate about.  Jed  refered to Liz Dywer's blog How Do We Prepare Kids for Jobs We Can't Imagine Yet? Teach Imagination. In her blog she refers to the work of Rita J. King and Joshua Fouts; Imagination: Creating the Future of Education and Work.  At the top of their website is a quote from Ursula Guinn 'The creative adult is the child who has survived.'  They have also embedded Ken Robinson's RSA Animate 'Changing Educational Paradogms'.

A few questions came to my mind whilst I jumped around various websites and started to make connections and links; How do I teach imagination to my students?  Have my paradigms in education shifted enough to prepare for future jobs that have not been imagined yet?  What is the imagination age and how am I preparing my students for it? This then lead to my mind thinking about connectivism - how does this link into my pedagogy?  Is connectivism the learning theory for the digital age as George Siemans suggests?

So how are you teaching creativity? What does does connectivism mean to you? Have your educational paradigms changed to teach for the future?  Would love to hear your ideas!

Replies

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 10:44am ()

What a great post, EmmaSmile

I often read the Leading and Learning blog, which explores ideas on this very topic. And of course Ken Robinson is a key proponent of this idea of 'teaching creativity' (which does seem a bit like an oxymoronWink

I think the NZC gives permission (if that is the right phrase) to teachers to open up the big questions, foster inquiry as way to dig deeper into the curriculum areas.

Pam Hook, as part of her work around SOLO taxonomy, has referred to the 'What if?' questions, those challenges that invite the mind to fly, to hypothesise, to imagine.

And in a digital world, there are just so many more avenues that allow chldren to explore, extend their ideas, connect and inquire around a topic. Further to fly, if you will.

• Andrew (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 9:06pm ()

Yes, well done Emma, on opening up such a discussion.Smile

I love what Sir Ken Robinson says in 'Changing Educational Paradogms'.

The everyday constraints of working with a class do keep a person 'chained' to the past, especially when things go wrong!!!Sealed

The whole business of operating a 21st Century class in a 19th Century model is certainly problematic, but also understandable. 

Our ICT cluster contract has certainly pushed us all to 'leap the chasm', and many of us have but we are still fledging pathways, some of which are not necessarily supported by current education systems. I made a couple of notes in an email to you Emma so better publish here too.

A 5 year old boy in my class who reads at Magenta level 2 watched me using 'google calendar' on an iPad the other day (that he knew he would soon have his hands on). He turned to a classmate and said "Hey, you can use an iPad to book the iPads!" CoolHe got the 21st Century thing! He has the imagination to understand how he can use technology.

I also saw another child in my class take out my teacher laptop from my bag and begin to plug it in, at my desk, ready for the day. She's ready, she sees what is possible. She imagines how it could be. She is 6.Cool

Power to you Emma. Smile

• Andrew (View all users posts) 02 Jun 2011 4:29pm ()

Hmmm, thought hard about this as I watched my class this afternoon. They left the 'hard' work of adding white to thier brilliant paintings (the way I showed them!! Laughing ) and went to make things, listen to music videos online, dance and interact with iPad apps and each other, those that wanted ipads and did not get them created their own out of Cliko, complete with a cartoon character!.

Do we have to teach them? No we have to allow them, and we have to observe them and we have to facilitate  and promote and reward and celebrate their imaginations and creativity.

But yes maybe we do have to 'teach' them too.

Smile

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 03 Jun 2011 1:27pm ()

Good comment, Andrew - it's that fine balance between letting them fly free, and making sure we are working deliberately, noticing and adjusting the experiences so the challenge and the deepening of knowledge is there, too.

Even the kind of 'free play' that we see at kindergarten is part of the Te Whāriki curriculum. How can we capture that idea of meaningful 'free play' at primary? At secondary?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.