Search

EduCampNZ Takeaways

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 25 May 2011 2:52pm () Replies (30)

There will be five EduCampNZ 'unconference' days around the country over the next few months [Check out the Events Calendar for details on your region].

A great opportunity for primary and secondary teachers to come together, share ideas and make connections - all in the name of e-learning.

Name ONE thing you have learned that you'll take back to your school, or place of work.

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 11:15am ()

To get the ball rolling....

Here are a couple of blog posts, one of them mine, on the first of the EduCamps, in Wellington:

For me, the session on QR Codes looked fascinating.

I'd love to know what people took away and have used or developed further since then:-)

• Jo Fothergill (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 5:52pm ()

I said this several times but will say again and again - it's the conversations - while I love the big conferences like Ulearn there's never enough time to sit down and talk with other people for any length of time - the educamp model gives us that time.

Sitting in Maccers with 7 other people continuing the conversation, discovering commonalities, watching Allanah try to turn a kindle into a touch device - what a blast!

I came away from the day/weekend refreshed and ready for anything - precious time.

• Fiona (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 6:56pm ()

Always good to personally meet the people I have been connecting with online.

Also the session collaboratively led by teacher, Tim Kong and student, Zuni Preece. They shared valuable insights from their unique perspectives as both learners and teachers around the use of Scratch. I believe the un-conference format really helped promote these interactions and motivated me to think more about the opportunities for students to talk about their learning ( Thanks @timoslimo )
    Also have to acknowledge the contributions of two college students who participated in Karen's social networking/VLN session plus the balance of teachers from across the sector who attended…good stuff!
    Heading to EduCampTaiTokerau in July…looking forward to it.

From Sratch to GameSalad

• Tim Kong (View all users posts) 31 May 2011 9:19pm ()

Hi,

It was very cool having Zuni there to share Scratch. My favourite part was sitting down, after my very "teacher-like" review, and then watch her as she got into her sharing. To date this year my most positive moment as a teacher. And not in a classroom or with any ERO approved planning in site!

Her Dad commented to me later on "She said it made her feel "older than she actually is" - confidence *and* ability is a beautiful thing."

It's also given me a kick in the butt to get back into teaching more Scratch - will be doing that with my Y7&8 students starting next week.

I only had a brief chat with Brett - but very interested in TKI running with the google maps mashup theme. Was great to hear from others about their cloud experiences, frustrations and positive notions. I only got to glance at @lenvas google apps/hapara talk - very cool stuff there.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 10:55am ()

Great to see some emerging themes here:

• unconferences allow you to make connections and 'time to talk' without the straitjacket of a schedule or someone else's agenda
    • the rich mix of primary, secondary, students, teachers, facilitators....

• Marielle Lange (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2011 11:24pm ()

All in all, we had primary teachers, secondary teachers, student teachers, education consultants, ministry staff, core staff, software developers, and a primary student doing a presentation on Scratch. A very interesting mix. Everybody having an equal opportunity to talk based on content and interest instead of status. Age didn't matter. The following day, @heymilly twetted that she had been inspired enough by Zuni talk to try and start their own Scratch projects. How cool is that!

With the exception of the scratch presentation. The sessions that I attended, the format was truly one of discussion instead of presentation. My personal highlight was  the opportunity to have @lenva give us a demo of Hapara. I really like the philosophy and execution. 

I had a great day in a superb location!

• Catherine Hannagan (View all users posts) 02 Jun 2011 3:30pm ()

I was there as much to see how an unconference works as for e-learning-related matters...and I LOVED the way it worked. It's very democratic in that it enables participation for everyone through not charging registration fees and allows people to make the most of the event for themselves by creating the sessions based on the interests and needs of those who show up on the day. Having the freedom to leave (because neither you or your institution is paying) meant we were all there because we wanted to be...and we wnated to be there because the conversations were enriching, enlightening, inspiring.

Apart from the format itself, my main takeaway is an increased participation in Social networking for my own professional learning - thanks for that, Karen! I especially enjoyed being part of a break-away group of three lookng at the potential of Twitter for that purpose, the other two being teenage girls.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 03 Jun 2011 1:01pm ()

It's interesting to see so many people commenting on the format of the unconference, and on how much they enjoyed this aspect of the day....

Here's a (deliberately) challenging question for those of you who have attended EduCamps, or other unconferences:

Can self-driven, individual sessions at unconferences have real impact on what we do back in schools - or are they just a bit of fun for those who are keen?

Who's going to challenge me on this one?Wink

• Michael Fawcett (View all users posts) 03 Jun 2011 10:05pm ()

I took QR code ideas back to class.  I've played with them before, but last week i had a real use for them.  We have clearfile portfolios for students to share their learning with parents.  Jason wanted to share a blog post that was and audio recording and we couldn't figure out how to do it.  Enter Kaywa QR code generator.  I asked jason if anyone has an iPhone or iPod Touch in his family.  Big thumbs up from Jason. I grabbed the screen with his post on (and comments) using Aviary's Chrome extension; generated a code and combined them into an image.  I added the url of the post too just in case.  We tried it out on my Android phone and... voila- "Jason Says" loud and clear. Smile 

-: CLEANED :- http://glenviewgo.com/2011/03/25/jason-says/ -: CLEANED :-

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 27 Jun 2011 1:57pm ()

The next EduCampNZ is in Tai Tokearu, on 2 July : /pg/event_calendar/view/41856

Are you going? What are you hoping to learn or do?

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2011 11:23am ()

Did you go to EduCamp TT? How was it for you?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.