Search

Beyond the ICT PD contract - what does sustainability look like?

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 27 Mar 2012 11:06am () Replies (5)

This is the final year of the ICT PD project as we know it. Each year we have asked schools to consider what key lessons have been learned and how might these findings drive sustainability? Some guiding questions could include:

• What has worked well on the ICT PD contract?
• What do we want to sustain beyond the contract?
• What are the barriers?
• How can we overcome these barriers?

What is your school doing now to address sustainability of e-learning (beyond the contract)? We'd love to hear from you Smile

Replies

• Tamara Bell  (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2012 9:34pm ()

Great conversation, relevant to so many clusters and schools every year! I fully tautoko all of the suggestions above from Chrissie! Laughing

I have been thinking of a response from my own experiences of being a lead teacher of ICT in my school and also from being a BeL national facilitator working with several clusters.  I too remember being stressed at the thought of finishing our 3 year cluster and perhaps no longer having specific release, PD or support to continue our elearning journey.  One of the reasons for this was our cluster had become too reliant on our cluster facilitator to lead our learning, which caused panic at the thought of 'being left on our own!'

I believe it is the facilitators responsibility to urge the cluster in their final year (if not before) to take ownership of their learning, their vision and their plan for the future and to point them in the right directions for where/who they can tap into to get support e.g. the VLN! (amongst many other places).  Supporting a cluster to make decisions about their PD needs and elearning future while helping them to build capability within their own staff in the final year, if not before,  leads to sustainability.  

Slowly pulling out the 'experts' and building up those teachers and leaders in the kura with the drive, skills and vision for continuing their elearning journey is crucial to ensuring success beyond the end of the contract.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.