Search

Choosing a suitable MLE

• Public
Started by Monika Kern 25 Mar 2012 12:31pm () Replies (29)

Hi there, I'm fairly new to VLN but trying hard to get up to speed :)

I work at a Decile 1 Intermediate in the Far North. I would like to run my computing class web based, and advice in a different group was to look at moodle or similar. The MoE website lists three providers for MLEs, KnowledgeNET, Ultranet and Moodle. We have also received information from a 'new to NZ' firm offering EduSpot.

How do we choose the most suitable MLE??? Money is an issue (goes without saying). Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!!!!

By the way, EduSpot run a webinar on Wednesday 28 March 12:00

Link: https://promo-manager.server-secure.com/ch/7360/r9nb4m/484293/3a1199zcm.html

Meeting Number: 620 618 844

Meeting Password: eduspot

Many thanks in advance, Monika

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2012 9:43pm ()

Some really good advice here to get you thinking, Monika. Thanks, everyone:-)

I'm not going to recommend one particular platform, but instead suggest that you should base your choice on some/all of the following:

• what is the learning direction for your students - their needs? your school's curriculum? This is the most important driver for your decision.
    • how will it support and extend what you are offering to your students, in terms of pedagogy and the content they will be exploring? (for example, how do you want to share and communicate resources, engage them in different learning activities/pathways, facilitate peer collaboration and different forms of communication to suit the learning)

The technical platform you choose will need to meet the students' needs as discussed above. From a technical point of view:

• what is affordable and compatible with your current system in school?
    • what time and resources do you have available to support the introduction and development of the MLE?

Enabling e-Learning provides an overview of MLEs and a link through to the Ministry's site, if that's useful too:-)...and the e-Learning Planning Framework accentuates the importance of the school's/teacher's curriculum driving the decisions around technology.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Karen

Enabling e-Learning / Blended e-Learning

Join this group to contribute to discussions.