Search

Tools to manage my life online

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 20 Mar 2012 5:36pm () Replies (12)

Is it just me or does anyone else find life is getting harder to manage online?

Emails, Google docs, Twitter feeds, notifications, RSS and blog feeds....it goes on. It doesn’t help when you find 100+ ways to organize your life online. Apart from using the VLN as professional learning network, I really like Netvibes and have used this as a personal portal for RSS feeds as well as a public space.

imageAnyone got a great tip/trick/tool for organising their life online? HELP!

Image sourced from http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/

Replies

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2012 6:54pm ()

I follow over 500 blogs (don't say a word!) and have more recently found NetNewsWire good for managing this (thanks for the tip, Mike Anderson). Skimming and scanning are key skills for coping with this and if a heading doesn't grab my attention, it probably won't be looked at. Anything useful gets bookmarked (I'm using Firefox), with care being taken to make sure the bookmarks are accurately named. I frequently refer to these when looking back for information - I do this by simply opening the Bookmarks sidebar, and then typing in a search term - I can quickly and easily find bookmarks from the past when I need them, so they definitely aren't lost and forgotten. I find this more useful than using Delicious because I don't always want to go online. But I also use Delicious for one of my schools, putting resources there that are related to what learning is happening in the classrooms at the time. I only wish I could get teachers to use the Delicious Bookmarklet tool they've got on their Browser Toolbars, to add resources too. It's so quick and easy.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.