Search

Big picture attributes of (Digital Citizenship)...

• Public
Started by Isaac Day 03 May 2011 11:41am () Replies (11)

What do you believe are the big picture attributes for digital citizens (or as per our previous discussion - just 'citizenship')

Also... how does this relate to the NZC and the principles and values in this document?

Replies

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 03 May 2011 11:46am ()

In a previous discussion Emma posted

In my class last year we experimented with pulling apart our e-learning agreement against Andrew Churches concepts of; respecting yourself and others, protecting yourself and others, and respecting and protecting intellectual property (http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/The+Digital+Citizen). 

I had a bit of a think about this and considered that it would be a great thing for us to do as well!  (Cheers Emma - everyone is going to blame you now!!  Wink)

So what are the big ideas within these three categories?  If we can pull these ideas out, analyse them, evlauate them and create a definitive model, it could possibly become easier to teach these concepts to our kids.  Your thoughts?

• che luke (View all users posts) 06 May 2011 3:31pm ()

I've actually found that the difference between a student participating as a citizen in school and a student participating as a citizen online (in a school environment) has been almost negligible.  The small incidences we have had where students are acting poorly or not participating are handled openly yet discretely as would be expected in any school.

As students increase their presence online in a school context I really don't expect this to change too much.  

Broadgreens over-arching theme this year "To role model what it is to be an adult", and the consequent thematic teaching that exists around this concept is existing online.

I do like the fact that elearning is not a dominant feature in our school but it is certainly very present if you were to focus on it.  Having recently started a 'stock-take' of elearning taking place in our school, I am pleasantly surprised to find that I am accumulating evidence that supports my current perception that a digital citizen is not too dissimilar from Broadgreen Intermediate School citizen.

If I was to label some attributes I guess these would exist in the teaching of our termly 'Virtues': Responsibility, reliability, friendliness, confidence, excellence, respect, self discipline and honesty.

After our Tony Ryan visit we have started to move in the direction of developing our integrated plan around the key competencies.  I'm also a fan of Kellie McRoberts/Karilyn Cribbs e-competencies and believe these are key attributes that support the NZC when considering the development of a successful citizen.

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 18 May 2011 6:07pm ()

Thinking about 'the big picture' made me think 'What are we actually doing at Tahunanui School about digital citizenship in our classroom programmes?'    Currently we have no formal curriculum around digital citizenship in our school - yet professionally we regularly discuss its importance for our students and it is a focus on our ICT annual plan.  So in their year group teams, I asked teachers to share how they had integrated digital citizenship into their classroom programmes during Term 1/2011.  Here are some examples from the teachers at Tahunanui School:

• Commenting on other blogs and reading comments on our blogs has provided opportunities to develop digital citizenship (e.g. academic commenting & commenting etiquette.
    • Teachers are using the school wiki page to develop and support future teaching
    • Specific lessons on cyber safety
    • Incidental teaching, when blogging - e.g. not to include personal information, making responsible comments etc.
    • Supervised computer use
    • Linked digital citizenship with school and class values
    • Informally discussed - ‘moments in time' when students asked questions
    • Made classroom posters or ‘books' about digital citizenship
    • Discussed when and why to use the Hector Safety button
    • Discussed on not sharing pass words or naming students in photographs, or why we might blurr faces etc.
    • Discussed copyright - what this means and how it effects what we upload to on our class blog
    • Discussed protecting & respecting yourself and others online - why we must ask permission before upload photographs or videos of other people
  • DaveP (View all users posts) 24 May 2011 8:16pm ()

Emma has (as per usual) summed up our schools position nicely.  I have also discussed with my class how being a digital citizen is about more than keeping ourselves safe, which is what most of the kids came up with, but also about the golden rule of 'do no harm' , e.g not making negative comments about (or to) people or taking things such as music or images that don't belong to us, and about having the skills to make the most out of the technology that we can now enjoy.  We talked about how gaining digital skills can let us take advantage of the opportunities that computers and the internet have given us access to....and that a good knowledge of cybersafety lets us enjoy these safely.  I think it's also very important that we realise, and emphasise, how important the role is of our own personal values  as external ways of keeping ourselves and others safe seem to be struggling to keep up with changes in technology and the way people choose to use this...increasing cyberbullying being a prime example.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 25 May 2011 10:44am ()

We could use this space to hammer out some ideas... I think it would make sense for schools to gear their AUPs along the lines of their schools values... ??  Thoughts?

http://www.mylgp.org.nz/guide/362/-a-values-based-acceptable-use-policy/

• Kelliem (View all users posts) 25 May 2011 1:36pm ()

I have recently posted on my edublog (Through the Fog Blog) about developing TecStars being developed as a resource for teachers to utilise. Sylvia Martinez has developed TechYES. I was challenged by Allanah King regarding just what level of skill younger students have. This was my reply;

Ahh yes, the digital native is a slippery one. I tend to see that they have quite strong surface skills -can apply logic form one platform to another, aren’t afraid to try things out and problem solve. What they don’t have(and won’t -without explicit teaching) is the deeper understanding behind exploring the tools -at a primary level that’s for we wise ones to impart.
    What TecYES does at it’s lower level is to provide a checklist for student mentors to peer assess from. Things such as (in a text doc or ppt -for presenting work ) spaces after a fullstop or comma, font choice, font size, layout…visual language but in a digital format.
    I have used my TecStars to develop some technical skills such as fixing the ‘keychain’ for access to our school shared folder (we have ‘pods’ of computers and the ‘remember me’ button is very appealing!) and these kids are bloggers and are developing some programming awareness using ‘Scratch’.
    If these types of skills were to be built up over time then what’s not to stop them from being teacher mentors as well as peer mentors. It’s hard work to think of a digital parallel for the work we do in the classroom because many teachers don’t ‘think digitally’ -couldn’t the kids offer ideas even if they can’t yet follow them through?
    In a classroom it could look like this…”If we are learning about keeping ourselves safe at home and in the community what would we need to think about when we are online? How could we show this to your parents?”

I would like to develop an Acceptable Use Statement to enhance the development of skills like this. It transforms eLearning to eConstructing (i.e. constructivism)

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 27 May 2011 5:52pm ()

Ok, so this is going to be our starting point.  Our Profile is based on the discussion we had this week where we are trying to link our AUP to our school Purpose, Vision and Learning Lenses.

This is a starting point ONLY!  Not a final plan, but a framework around which we can structure our AUP.

Have a look and tell us what you think.

Laughing

Digi Citizen Profile _ Start

• Fiona Paurini (View all users posts) 27 May 2011 9:34pm ()

Well Emma has got me signed up onto the VLN and I have been having a great time reading everyones comments, some very in-depth thinking going on at times ... by comparison I'm just starting in the paddling pool with my thoughts/comments on this. Smile So this is my 'Little Pic' comment on what I've read so far, and what I've experienced with the children.

Today I  trialled Emma's idea of pulling apart our Senior School e-Learning agreement against Andrew Churches concepts of; respecting yourself and others, protecting yourself and others, and respecting and protecting intellectual property with a year 5/6 class. In their collaborative groups the children decided where they thought our 14 'rules' on the agreement would go.  A few seemed quite obvious, but some were less clear and they found that they might fall under protect AND respect, there was no 1 right answer.  It created some interesting discussions with the children justifying why they put things where they did.

What become clear was that the children had signed this agreement the year before and hadn't really revisited it since!

I like the idea of a updating to a simpler agreement more aligned to the key competencies and school values, so it can be reinforced in all areas of learning,  how to be a good citizen in the 'real' world and the cyber world... I don't think those values should change just because you are on-line.

I asked the children in this year 5/6 class how many of them had a Facebook account.  Over half the class put up their hands!!!  So much for the 13 year old age limit!!  One of them was quite chuffed they were 'born' in the 60's!  Some had their parents as friends so they could see what was going on, yet there were a couple of children who were shaking there heads saying 'no way' were their parents a friend.

It was interesting that the child who was born in the '60s' hadn't thought that there might be other people out there faking their identity who may be undesirable.  They thought that Facebook would take care of those people.  Unfortunately we ran out of time, needless to say we will be continuing this discussion early next week.  

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 28 May 2011 9:05am ()

Wow!  this sounds like an interesting starting point Fiona! Sealed

Let us know how the discussion evolves.

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 29 May 2011 12:27pm ()

Thanks Fiona, a brilliant discussion post that clearly shows the importance of making AUPs 'living documents' with the students in our classrooms aross our school.  I think it clearly demonstrates the need for digitial citizenship to be linked to our school values and the key competencies, and then for the AUP and digital citizenship to be clearly embedded into our classroom practice. 

It would be great if you could share your experiences at a staff meeting! Smile

Netsafe state that many schools are moving from AUPs (acceptable user policies) to a value based acceptable use policy.  At Tahunanui School the lead e-learning teachers and the leadership team will be reviewing our current AUP and I'd like to involve the e-learning angels (student 'techsperts'!).  We are aiming to create a value based accectable AUP around our school values, the key competencies, Andrew Churches concepts of; respecting yourself and others, protecting yourself and others, and respecting and protecting intellectual property and Netsafe's definitions of a digital citizen.  Should this be called a VBAUP? Laughing

Once created the next challenge will be for all our teachers across the school to embed our VBAUP into their classroom programmes!  Any ideas?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.