Search

Using IWB in a junior room.

• Public
Started by Susan Lindsey 18 Apr 2011 2:54pm () Replies (10)

I would interested to hear how teachers use an IWB in their new entrant rooms.

Replies

• Catriona Chrystall (View all users posts) 04 May 2011 11:38am ()

Hi Susan,

Well when it works properly I use it as my modelling book with my reading groups.  Each reading group I have I have the WALT and SC which I share and then a record of the learning.  I then print this out and paste into the modelling book for the children to refer back to if needed.

I have also used it the same way in Maths and writing but this year I am not as involved with Maths and I am using the whiteboard itself more for writing as our IWB in our junior room is only a large TV size.

Last year I used it a lot during our Inquiry and had an epiphany for Art.  I took photos of the stages of the art ahead of time and made it into a power point to show children (this saved a lot of time and extra resources).  It also meant children who are ready for the next stage did not have to wait for the whole class to move on. 

Hope this helps.

• Katreena Daniels (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2011 10:54am ()

Hi Catriona

Love the idea for Art - I may try this myself.

Have had similar experiences with reliability of technology Foot in mouth

• Susan Lindsey (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2011 2:33pm ()

Hey everyone

Well the group is slowly growing in size.  I have been trialling using the paint programme with my NE class however the children are having a few problems using the programme independently.  Wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what I could do to get this up and running in my room or maybe someone knows of an easier programme we could try.

Susan

• Tracey Schumacher (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2011 8:59am ()

Hi All

I love using my IWB for news writing.  I do it 2 ways.  Either the chn write the text and we discuss it as we go or we create the sentence together and I write it.  Then the chn highlight all sorts of features; punctuation, basic sight words they are learning to read, spelling words they are learning to write, spaces etc.

I also use the 100's board a lot in maths.  It's really useful for counting in heaps of different ways.

• Kirsty Clark (View all users posts) 24 May 2012 8:05pm ()

Hi all  am an looking for good sites/ideas to support reading programme especially, letter/sound recognition. I have a IWB and computers (sometimes lol)

• Keryn Wilson (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2014 10:12pm ()

Have you looked into Reading Eggs?

Our children love it.

Keryn Wilson

• Pata (View all users posts) 20 Apr 2014 11:20am ()

There a youtube clips that you can check out to teach specific learning outcomes for children. We use Jolly phonics where children learn letter sounds. Youtube has all their songs that the children sing daily...also has letter sound youtube clips by the user 'Have fun teaching' that we learn high frequency words and nursery rhymes and energisers to get the children to move around with like Tooty Tata...

I am looking forward to reading many more ideas to use my IWB.

Pata

• PaulaJayne Roberts (View all users posts) 21 Apr 2014 3:45pm ()

I put up all the sight words we know and we manilpulate them to make up sentences. If needed we add in the words we need to make a sentence make sense.

• wendy (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2014 1:07pm ()

I use my IWB constantly...we have a classroom blog which includes letter of the week etc and photos of student activities and also notices for parents. The IWB is also used for writing modelling/ maths and letter number practice ...http://www.topmarks.co.uk/interactive.aspx and ictgames are both good interactive sites for whole class learning and playing.

Good for art as well and observational drawing if you cant get something live. 

wendy

Join this group to contribute to discussions.