Search

Acceptable Use Policies

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 15 Apr 2011 4:00pm () Replies (7)

The NetSafe team is interested in your thoughts about  a new approach to Acceptable Use Policies

Schools have traditionally relied on an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to define student / staff behaviours in the use of ICT.  These policies generally list the DOs and more often the DONTS of technology use in the school environment.

Many schools are now reviewing and revising their AUP in light of rapid changes in technology use and the introduction of learning environments where students create, control and share their own content.   More and more  educators are seeking ways to effectively guide students to become responsible digital citizens.

This NetSafe  collaboration  document proposes a new approach to an AUP based on the values in the New Zealand Curriculum. We invite your comments and suggestions.

http://collaborate.netsafe.org.nz/category/re-aup/

Please share this link with colleagues.

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2011 10:50pm ()

Can anyone share any agreements on home use of school iPads. Some sort of protocol for their use outside of school time.

A school has three iPads for special needs children that are going to go home with children 24/7 as a learning tool.

We are concerned that they are used sensibly.

What would you suggest?

• Mary St George (View all users posts) 20 May 2012 10:55am ()

How did you get on with this Allanah? I would tend to link the goals of home use of the device, by caregivers and child, to the goals of the IEP, given that this is a special needs situation. Some experimental use by caregivers would be necessary to enable confidence and flexibility, but a broad connection with the IEP, and with child-safe and child-friendly content would be my starting philosophy, with details to be fleshed out around that.

I realise this is an old post, but it is a very good question.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 20 May 2012 11:02am ()

Here is as far as I got with it. It needs a bit of editing to finish it- the school I was working with just decided not to let the iPad go home at all which negated the need for an agreement.

• Mary St George (View all users posts) 20 May 2012 7:50pm ()

Wow, I can see that this has not been simple, and that it depends a lot on the philosophy of the school. I have talked to some teachers about iPad programmes where it was quite intentional that the whole family would have the opportunity to develop skills, whereas in other cases the student is expected to be the sole user. Things like that, and the learning goals, really impact on the kind of policy you need, as much as the care and safety guidelines. It was interesting to read the other comments as well.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 24 May 2012 2:18pm ()

It is certainly a challenging area, trying to strike a balance between risk management and open access. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and questions:-)

You might be interested in this other thread running in the BYOD in Schools group, on similar agreements (albeit related to students' own devices): 

/mod/threaded_forums/topicposts.php?topic=190820&group_guid=155369

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Netsafe

Netsafe

Netsafe is an independent non-profit organisation with an unrelenting focus on online safety and security.