Search

Welcome to the Level 3 Photography discussion

• Public
Started by Sam Cunnane 11 Mar 2012 11:32am () Replies (6)

This group is set up as a focused (haha. "focused") discussion page for people who wnat to share their struggles and successes with teaching Level 3 Photography, particularly in relation to the externally assessed folio.

I will drop in an out from time to time to see how the group is going, but I won't be 'running' the discussion as such. That's up to all the members.

This group is a bit of an experiment to see if the VLN is a good place for such professional discussions for art teachers, so from time to time I might ask the members how things are going from that perspective too.

So, to kick things off:

What are the main challenges that are facing you with making sense of AS 90668? If you've had students do well in this standard, what are some tips that you could share that might help other teachers better understand how to help students meet the requirements of the standard? (As I write this I can hear all sorts of 'teaching to the test' arguments pushing forward, but we might save them for another group . . . )

Replies

• Sam Cunnane (View all users posts) 11 Mar 2012 12:15pm ()

If you're a newbie to the VLN, pop over to /pg/groups/25604/getting-started-on-the-vln/ for some tips on how things work.

• Robert Ferguson (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2012 1:36pm ()

For me I think the big one that gets most people is the discrepancy between a students internal marks and external marks at level 3 in general.

I had a good example a couple of years ago with photography, where a student I gave merit too for 3.2 got an achieved for 3.3 and the student I gave achieved too for 3.2 got an excellence for 3.3. 

It can also be hard to look objectively at students work at the end of the year, as it was only early in the following year that I could see where the marks came from.

On reflection I see that type of experience as a good real world one, as no one goes to a gallery and says "I really like and understand that work, but I might just look at their workbook before I pass my final judgement and buy it."

Sometimes life just isn't fair. 

• Pip Oranje (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2012 10:13am ()

I have been having the same struggles with the difference in internal and external marks. But I have had success at both I think I have managed to understand now what they are looking for. It is hard in photography to see what it is they want from the student and I am worried that the excellences I got last year were all heavy on picture making (lots of photoshop). But I always start with good photography showing that they know how to use their camera. I agree with Robert it is a good real world experience someone objective gets to view their work and pass judgement.

• Pip Oranje (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2012 7:31pm ()

I have 2 great photographers who find the whole "body of work" that links a struggle I would love to show their first board mock ups to anyone interested and am happy to get any feedback on what you think good and bad just to help them along. I want them doing schol as they will be aiming to do Photography at Uni is anyone interseted to have a wee look?

• Sam Cunnane (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2012 7:56pm ()

I'm happy to have a look at them Pip. You should be able to upload them here as an image.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.