Search

Is it the technology - or the leadership?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 09 Mar 2012 5:02pm () Replies (4)

I read this - deliberately provocative? - post from Scott McLeod this week and thought I would share it for interest.

>>>Poor technology leadership is usually just poor leadership.

Now, he may be stirring the pot, when he writes that "when a school leader purchases system-wide learning software with little thought given to long-term financial and instructional sustainability, that's not poor technology leadership, that's just poor leadership." What are your thoughts?

I'd like to put a positive spin on this and consider what 'good leadership' might look like, when it comes to managing technology in school. For instance, a 'good' leader might make sure that "the strategic plan aligns to the vision and refers to how technologies will support learning" (E-Learning Planning Framework, 'Extending').

What are your views on this curly one?

Replies

• Alison Taylor (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2014 11:17pm ()

Hi Heather

Your post resonates with me in that it encapsulates a real leadership dilemma - the tension between funding, time and growing people capacity.If something is an important priority then the people need to be given the time and supported with the funding to actually grow and develop. Schools are busy places, with lots of competing pressures and priorities.It is about deciding on priorities and creating systems and processes to support people.

regards

Alison Taylor

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.