Search

App Sharing

Started by Allanah King 22 Mar 2011 7:43pm () Replies (286)

Maybe we can start off by all adding one app that we really like?

Replies

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 12 Apr 2011 10:21am ()

My current favourite is Puppet Pals, came out for iPad orginally, but has now been released for iPod/iPhone! Cool. 

Puppet Pals

My kids just love making digital stories using this tool. It's well worth getting the 'Director's Pass', as it gives you all content, plus all future updates and the ability to add your own custom backgrounds and characters! I've put my kids on there, and they love having adventures with pirates, zombies and aliens...

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 26 May 2011 8:32am ()

For those of you who loved Puppet Pals, here is another free app in a similar style. Sock Puppets lets you create short animated movies using digital sock puppets. The thing that I really like about this app is that the puppets lip sync to your voice!

It has sharing options for Youtube and Facebook as well.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 01 Jul 2011 10:05am ()

I found this app the other day, and showed it to a learning support teacher who loved it! Great for early literacy and such a beautiful app. Does cost to buy extra books but they are quite reasonable at $2.59 or so

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2011 10:15am ()

No, you made need to check proxy settings. Most proxies stuff up in-app purchases on ios devices.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2012 10:28am ()

Check out Scribblepress. ( http://www.scribblepress.com ). They have a free ipad app for creating your own books which can then be shared online or sent to ibooks as an epub. 

It also includes story starters for reluctant writers, you can create your own art as well or use the included artwork. There is also an option to buy a print version.

Great stuff.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 1:27pm ()

You can use the Wordpress app to blog to edublogs. All you need to do when adding your blog in Wordpress is to choose the self-hosted blog option, then put in your edublogs address and your user details...

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 14 Jun 2012 9:05am ()

At the moment, am loving Dragonbox. It is very seldom that an app just blows me away with the way it teaches a concept, but Dragonbox is one.

It is a game, but it teaches algebra concepts. When I first played it, I was thinking "how is this algebra??", and then after a few levels there was the "OMG, I'm doing algebra!" moment.

My daughter really struggles with maths, so I gave the ipad to her last night and said "have a try at this game", so went away and I came in a few minutes later to find she had completed the first world. "nice game Dad, why did you make me play it?"

You should have seen the look on her face when I told her she had been doing algebra to a high school level, priceless.

Would recomment spending the extra $4 to get the + version which gives extra levels in standard form.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2012 1:25pm ()

Hi Guys,

My latest find is both an app and a website. At Tahuna we have been using the Aurasma app to add some interactivity to things around the school.

Aurasma is an augmented reality app that lets you view and build overlays (called Auras) for real world objects. The difference between String and Aurasma, is that Aurasma lets you build and use your own trigger images.

For instance, we have used the new school logo on the signage around our school. Visitors can point their iOS or Android device and it plays a video and provides a link to the school website.

We have also been working with the school librarian to create video book reviews which are posted to youtube and are also built into Aurasma Auras. This means that when kids point their device at an augmented book cover, the video book review pops up over the top for them to view.

Huge potential here, and we are just scratching the surface. We have signed up with Aurasma as partners so that we get access to the online Aurasma Studio which lets us create custom Auras. All this is free!

Still confused? Download the Aurasma Lite app, subscribe to the Tahuna Normal Intermediate channel, and then point your device at the following pictures...

tahuna 

Big Nate

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 9:20am ()

An app that I have really enjoyed getting into is Creatorverse. Built by Linden Labs ( the folks that brought the world Second Life), it is a physics, machines, levers kind of thing! Best shown by watching the video below. I found it was great for juniors, looking at discovery, experimentation and creativity. Seniors can get under the hood a little more and explore the physics side of things, create complex machines and even games (I made a pinball game and a platform game in about half an hour!)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.